PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play a Theurgy Knowledge Wizard?

TexasHays
2016-12-25, 11:50 AM
Alright, our first campaign (we're all new to D&D except our DM) has its end on the horizon. Running Curse of Strahd where I'm a Goliath paladin. I love it, but when we start a new one (probably homebrewed) I want something completely different.

The idea of an extremely nerdy wizard appeals to me but it seems that there aren't many ways for Wizards to get expertise in Arcana, History, etc.

I can either multiclass and dip into rogue and knowledge cleric a bit, but I'd rather not do that for simplicity's sake and I like the idea of a full wizard.

Therefore, I am thinking of the other possibility: Theurgy Wizard from the UA: Faithful and choose Knowledge domain. I've looked on this forum, reddit, google, etc and, while I've found people's opinions of Theurgy wizards, I havent been able to find anyone who has actually rolled one up, much less a knowledge one.
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a knowledge Theurgist and want to share? Would love any and all feedback! Thanks!

Callin
2016-12-25, 03:40 PM
Played for a couple of games. Worked perfectly. Need a skill, hold on I got that. Need to really hit with that one attack spell. Bam +2 (I feel its a waste in most circumstances). Giving +2 to the DC of Flaming Sphere was my go to. At lvl 4 having a DC 17 Dex is insane. I changed up because of group dynamic changes, and not rolling dice (all save cantrips and spells) was not engaging me enough.

It worked exactly like it was supposed to though. Frostbite, Gust, Create Bonfire, Poison Ray, Grease, Flaming Sphere, Command, and Suggestion. Worked like a charm.

TexasHays
2016-12-26, 10:33 AM
Awesome, thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I had an idea in my head for how it would play out but no real evidence of it until now.

Falcon X
2016-12-27, 03:36 PM
I'm going to start playing one this Friday and I can't wait. It looks like such a fun class because of the variety of options. I'd love to hear any tips and tricks people have learned.
I'm building a follower of Wee-Jas. Death Domane Cleric 1/Knowledge Theurge 5. It seems to fit perfectly with her.

One trick this class can pull off is being a Fabrication spell master. Gain proficiency in whatever crafting tool you want each day. Fabricate a giant barrel of ale, a fine suit of armor to sale, fancy clothes. So long as you have materials, you can make it.