PDA

View Full Version : So...I have this idea...

SangoProduction
2016-12-25, 11:53 AM
But I don't know what character to put on it. To be specific, I have the mechanics and the background down, but I am having a hard time finding their personality. I was hoping you could help. So, the idea is as follows:

Alric was raised in the...sanctuary...of a cult of lies, deceit, and secrets. There, he learned of techniques of manipulation, both mundane and magical, to get information for the cult. So great were his successes, that the enacted a ritual most foul to transform him in to a Changeling. Elves, Dwarves, Humans - male or female. None of them were now safe from infiltration.

But, on a fateful day, he returned from a most successful investigation, and found the cult's hideout burning. Stricken with grief, he set out to find the culprits, but even with his most extensive use of his skills, he could find no trace of those who did this. He now has set out on an eternal quest to find those responsible.

So, my obvious first impression was that he's driven and determined. Perhaps a bit single-minded. I think he may have a hard time trusting anyone, though frequently pretends to. Telling the full truth, even to those he actually trusts, is probably the most difficult thing he could do, even when a situation demands information.

That doesn't feel complete though. Like it's a caricature, rather than a character.

Keral
2016-12-25, 12:18 PM
Well you have the "untrusting" bit down.

I would add "full of himself" in light of his many successes? So, unless infiltration requires otherwise I'd picture him a bit arrogant and easygoing on the outside, while he's actually quite distant and mistrustful of others?

SangoProduction
2016-12-25, 12:24 PM
Well you have the "untrusting" bit down.

I would add "full of himself" in light of his many successes? So, unless infiltration requires otherwise I'd picture him a bit arrogant and easygoing on the outside, while he's actually quite distant and mistrustful of others?

That would seem to fit. Afterall, he was granted one of the highest gifts of the community (being a changeling).

Doctor Despair
2016-12-25, 12:40 PM
It almost seems to me that he would try to sense motive and observe to figure out what sort of person he was dealing with at any given time and then use a false persona with them, ultimately meaning that he may have one "lawful good" face with the party and interact entirely differently with NPCs when he is not with the party. That "caricature" could be the core, true part of his personality, with almost everything else being fabricated. If you need more, it seems like he may have lacked a real childhood, so perhaps he is naive in a lot of ways, or perhaps as he travels he too will struggle to figure out who he really is. Lots of room for growth.

Particle_Man
2016-12-25, 12:49 PM
I assume that those people in the temple were his friends and in effect his family. Thus while most of him will be as above, there will be a part of him that is seeking such a friendship and family again. The paradox being, since his old family was all about deceit and manipulation, he both would seek out that sort of personality and yet *by its nature* be distrustful of someone with it, making it difficult to actually psychologically replace his old friends/family. So that might add a bit of complexity to his character as noted above.

Keral
2016-12-25, 12:50 PM
I was thinking something about his being raised in a cult. But I can't really put my finger on it.

I'm assuming such a cult would have a strict hierarchy? So he's been "conditioned" to follow orders blindly to some extent? But I can't really figure out how that could work in his personality. I can't seem to fit a certain shrewdness he kinda has to have to be a successful spy, with being a "drone" kind of guy.

Pleh
2016-12-25, 01:04 PM
Such a character seems like they would be a compulsive liar. They make up stories even when lying has nothing to be gained just because they don't like the vulnerability of being honest. Not that they aren't keen enough to use they truth from time to time to manipulate people, rather that they almost never tell the truth without spinning it tactically.

I also expect such a character to be either very quiet and observing or very talkative and charming. Probably they switch back and forth as needed.

Actually, Black Widow from the MCU movies would be a good personality point. Such a character would certainly have a skewed perspective on morality. Even with a good alignment, they'd be more willing to do bad things to accomplish good goals.

Considering they are intimately aware of magic's affect on the mind, they'd probably stay constantly aware of the shifting socio-political atmosphere around themselves and be ready to jump on a situation that benefits them. They probably have an Atton Rand style thought screen, constantly focusing on trivial or offensive thoughts (like counting cards, thinking lustful thoughts, or diagnosing problems in mechanical systems) to keep other people from paying attention to them, scanning their surface thoughts, or getting interested enough to read deeper into their minds.

But such a dark character needs some balance to keep from being too emo. Give him a good sense of humor, like a prankster mentality. He already has the positive of his passionate loyalty to his cult, so you can push forward this sense of duty and community with whatever party he travels with.

Doctor Awkward
2016-12-25, 01:04 PM
Expand more on the cult itself:

What, specifically, was its purpose? Why were they so concerned with information gathering? Who did they work for?

Alric's values are determined by them, so determining their mindset will tell you his. If they were beholden to a specific government or ideology, then he will be too. On the other hand, for example, they were simply a massive network of information brokers that traded in secrets to the highest bidder, he will likely have a much more cavalier or mercenary-like attitude towards other people, and will probably not fully trust anyone.

SangoProduction
2016-12-25, 01:15 PM
Interesting thoughts. And the cult was likely a secluded network of spies, devoted to hoarding knowledge, from trivial to world-shattering, nothing was to be safe.

Kyberwulf
2016-12-25, 03:40 PM
He could be like Littlefinger.

I like how most people here seem to put a negative spin on this guy. His story doesn't necessitate negativity. He could be genuinely affable. He could be so many positive things. Most of the time, to get people to trust you, you have to be honest about yourself and who you are. I am not saying completely honest. This guy could have no secrets himself, well none that are his per se. He could have a lot of secrets, yes. Being single minded as a whole, means you wouldn't be a good spy. He would have to be able to spot everything around him. Know who is all doing what. He could trust people wholly and completely. Knowing what makes people tick, and what people will do. It would make you able to know someone completely.

I agree though, that being so good at what he does. Knowing so much about other people and their plans. Would probably make him very confidant in his abilities. I doubt he would be overly arrogant. I mean he sees what happens to people who overestimate their abilities. Especially since he apparently failed at the time his abilities were needed most.

I would say this guy is probably going to be very protective of those in his charge. I don't think he would let his emotions control him.

Inevitability
2016-12-25, 04:08 PM
This is perhaps slightly unrelated, but have you considered making the one responsible for the destruction of the monastery a Vecna-Blooded creature? I feel like there's an interesting rivalry one could create between a master spy and an undetectable individual.

I suppose that the rivalry, once established, would then become another aspect of his personality.

SangoProduction
2016-12-25, 04:28 PM
This is perhaps slightly unrelated, but have you considered making the one responsible for the destruction of the monastery a Vecna-Blooded creature? I feel like there's an interesting rivalry one could create between a master spy and an undetectable individual.

I suppose that the rivalry, once established, would then become another aspect of his personality.

Very interesting. Kind of makes sense.