PDA

View Full Version : Paladins and Natural Weapons: How do they Jibe?

Demidos
2016-12-25, 02:13 PM
Hello All.

Okay, so here's the deal. Recently i've been playing a pretty nifty spin-off build of Tempest Stormwind's old A-game paladin on the forums (For those unfamiliar with the build, in short, a bard-paladin hybrid). As part of my build, I have the draconic template, which gives, among other things, two claw attacks. I also have a pretty nifty sword, and +8 BAB for iterative attacks (I am currently level 9).

As someone who doesn't often play melee with natural attacks, please explain to me how it would work having two claw attacks and a regular sword attack.

I believe the way it should work is:
Holding the sword prevents me from using one claw attack. I get my regular attack and iterative from my regular attacks, plus one claw attack at a -5 penalty. The claw gets 0.5x Strength for being a secondary natural weapon.

However, there are several confusions I have:
1. If I ditch the sword, and use two claw attacks, I only get two hits. But since I have only natural weapons, does one get counted as the primary, or both? I would guess you are intended to use one claw as a primary and one as a secondary, but that seems odd from a game perspective, that basically one of your hands is far better than the other.

2. Do I still get iteratives from the regular attack? So my attack routine would be +8(sword)/+3(sword)/+3(claw), assuming no other bonuses? If I acquired multiattack (and a third natural weapon, say, slam), would my attacks be +8(sword)/+3(Sword)/+6 claw/+6 slam?

Necroticplague
2016-12-25, 02:19 PM
I believe the way it should work is:
Holding the sword prevents me from using one claw attack. I get my regular attack and iterative from my regular attacks, plus one claw attack at a -5 penalty. The claw gets 0.5x Strength for being a secondary natural weapon.
Technically, holding the sword doesn't prevent you from attacking with that hand. Not an explicit rule on it in 3.5, though there is crushing precedence. Other than that detail, this is exactly correct.

However, there are several confusions I have:
1. If I ditch the sword, and use two claw attacks, I only get two hits. But since I have only natural weapons, does one get counted as the primary, or both? I would guess you are intended to use one claw as a primary and one as a secondary, but that seems odd from a game perspective, that basically one of your hands is far better than the other. Depends on what they normally are. Assuming your claws are both primary attacks, they all remain primary attacks. Primary attacks only get downgraded to secondary ones when you use a manufactured weapon in addition to natural weapons.

2. Do I still get iteratives from the regular attack? So my attack routine would be +8(sword)/+3(sword)/+3(claw), assuming no other bonuses? If I acquired multiattack (and a third natural weapon, say, slam), would my attacks be +8(sword)/+3(Sword)/+6 claw/+6 slam?
Yes. You are exactly correct on this. Note that the extra attacks from iteritives can't be used for the natural weapons.

SangoProduction
2016-12-25, 03:26 PM
Also, Multiattack will give you an effective +3 to your secondary natural attacks...if you find a way to get another natural attack. Whether that's entirely worth it for just 2 natural attacks (excluding your sword-claw), eh... i dunno.

Darrin
2016-12-25, 03:48 PM
Improved Unarmed Strike can count as a third. You can also use IUS for your iteratives offhand attack, freeing up your claws. I think the Draconic template counts as dragonblooded, so you could take Shape Soulmeld: Dragon Tail, then Prehensile Tail to wield your sword. But I don't think A-Game paladin leaves much room for feats, and Dragonborn of Bahamut (to pick up the Dragon Tail feat) would get rid of your sigils.