PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Encounter Table

Laurefindel
2016-12-25, 02:56 PM
Hello all,

I'm making an encounter table for an upcoming game. That game will likely uses the gritty realism variant rule (whereas long rest = 1 week, short rest = 1 night) and likely some kind of houserule for the generation of such encounters. The game will be focused on exploration, and food supplies will be tracked.

I'm not sure of the distribution yet, but I know I want less than half resulting in combat encounters. So far I've got the following results, but I'm looking for comments/suggestions about those and possible new ones.

1) Obstacle. The party must overcome an obstacle such as a cliff, a torrent or a swamp. Each member must make a Strength (Athletic) check. If half or more fail the check, the party loses a day worth of travel. On a roll of “1”, the party member is wounded.
2) Travel Fatigue. The party’s journey proves to be more demanding than expected. Each member loses half its current Hit Dice (rounded down).
3) Strenuous Voyage. Difficult travel leaves the party drained and strained. Each member loses 2 hit points per level. Companions brought to 0 hp this way are unable to continue further.
4) Spoiled Supplies. Mold or animals get to the party’s food supplies. Each member loses half its rations and water supplies.
5) Exhausting Journey. Heat, cold or difficult travel drains the party. Each member must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution save or gain one exhaustion level.
6) Strife. Exhaustion and gloomy weather gets the better of the party who bickers and quarrels over futile details. Each member loses inspiration if they had it.
7) Wrong Decisions. A series of bad choices makes travel difficult. Further survival checks and encounter rolls are made with disadvantage.
8) Renewed hope. The party stumbles on a relic of past age, gets sight of a unicorn or witnesses a scene of inherent beauty. Each member gains inspiration.
9) Contaminated water. The party drinks from a source of stagnant water. Each member must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution save or contract Sewer Plague (DMG, 257).
10) Lost! The navigator loses sense of direction and gets utterly lost. The party makes no progress this day. Every day, the navigator is entitled to a new survival roll (against the same DC).
11) Hostile Weather. Strong wind and heavy precipitation imposes disadvantages on Wisdom (Perception) checks for the next d6 days. Extreme cold/heat episodes (DMG, 110) might happen where climate permits. Further Wisdom (Survival) checks and encounter rolls are made with disadvantage.
12) Hampered progression. An evil will of misfortune hinders the party’s progression. The party is forced to travel at slow pace for the next d6 days.
13) Harassed. Creatures threaten the camp at night, keeping the party on edges, but never attack. The party cannot take short rest this night. Companions still count as rested for the purpose of sleep deprivation.
14) Blessed Area. The party inadvertently sleeps on ancient hallowed grounds. Companions rejuvenate all hit point and regain one exhaustion level as if they finished a long rest.
15) Good Path. The party strikes a good path winding in the desired direction. The party may travel at a fast pace without suffering disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks or penalties on passive Wisdom (Perception) scores for the next d6 days.