PDA

View Full Version : What's A Cool Class?

JNAProductions
2016-12-25, 05:07 PM
Or cool classes? I'm bored, and want to see what kind of wacky, zany classes exist in 3.5!

Please provide examples, dinguses. :P

Kaje
2016-12-25, 05:10 PM
Binder
Zzzz

Troacctid
2016-12-25, 05:10 PM
A cool class is a class that does awesome unique stuff. :smallcool:

JNAProductions
2016-12-25, 05:17 PM
A cool class is a class that does awesome unique stuff. :smallcool:

Do you have examples?

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-25, 06:45 PM
Sha'ir is a cool class with some off the wall mechanics. I am also partial to shadowcasters after mousferatu's fix made them far more interesting (consider that their low level mysteries are actually quite useful and you now balance finishing a path vs no bonus feats as opposed to the silly balance of bonus feats vs actual power).

Zanos
2016-12-25, 06:49 PM
The Lifedrinker PrC is neat. It's a vampire class that can store consumed blood in a resource pool, and then expend it for free metamagic and some other features. But it doesn't progress casting, so it's pretty difficult to make function without getsalt or something similar.

Draconium
2016-12-25, 06:56 PM
Binder
Zzzz

Building off of this, the Anima Mage prestige class is a pretty cool class from both a fluff perspective and a mechanical one. You are harnessing the power of the damned (not in the literal sense, mind), binding them to your soul (standard Binder stuff so far), then burning up their energy and channeling it through your magic, essentially using once-living beings as magical batteries.

Venger
2016-12-25, 07:28 PM
chameleon's a blast if you don't mind bookkeeping.

JNAProductions
2016-12-25, 07:29 PM
chameleon's a blast if you don't mind bookkeeping.

I actually kinda do. DFA and Warlock are some of my favorites, for instance, and they have very little bookkeeping.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

John Longarrow
2016-12-25, 07:34 PM
Alienist. Hehehe HAHAHAHA !!!! THOOONNNN!!

Um.. Sorry about that. But a really "Cool" class is elemental savant. Especially if your go with water as your element (for cold spells)

Particle_Man
2016-12-25, 07:38 PM
I like Sapphire Hierarchs.

They are a great mutli-class prestige class (you can get into them with Cleric 3/Incarnate 1 with a little effort) that pretty much worships a big blue robotic rock in the desert the predicts the future. The kind of cargo cult that James T. Kirk would beam down to talk the robotic rock into self-destruction.

Anyhow, they are blue, they are LAWFUL, and they are just wacky fun.

My other flavour pick, also Lawful, is the Ruby Knight of Wee Jas.

ellindsey
2016-12-25, 07:42 PM
I like the Shadowdancer class. It's highly situational, of limited use, and mechanically not very advantageous at all, but a lot of fun conceptually. I have a recurrent NPC frenemy of the party in my ongoing Pathfinder game. The party assumed he was merely a rogue, but recently he ended up at odds with the party and I got to break out all the fun shadowdancer powers on them.

Cerefel
2016-12-25, 07:43 PM
I personally like going Binder/Chameleon to comprehensively swap out your character's shtick. It's also very possible to keep the chameleon bookkeeping to a minimum most of the time if you really try.

Echch
2016-12-25, 07:56 PM
Well, Frostburn will probably have what you want then, since it's the Cold-Outside-Book. I like Cloud Anchorite... It's abilities kinda suck, but I like the idea and fluff of it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-25, 09:03 PM
How about a savage template ghost (buy the LA off each level as you get them) master of the unseen hand/telepath/thrallherd? Pull in thralls, possess them, and then use a combination of your amazing brawn, massively buffed telekinesis, and mind powers.

You'd be thunderstruck how much terror a telekinetic tarrasque triggers.

Aegis013
2016-12-25, 09:51 PM
I like Elemental Scion of Zilargo from Magic of Eberron. Particularly its very interesting 7th level ability Elemental Merge in conjunction with the Water Devotion feat.

You can make a Water Elemental and then fuse with it to become effectively invulnerable and transfer any temporary buffs on you to the Elemental. When the Elemental dies, you pop out unharmed to create another Elemental. You can combine with Shape Soulmeld: Threefold Mask of the Chimera and Open Chakra to do all of that in one turn without any repercussion as you cease existing (effectively) inside the Elemental.

I wasn't the one to come up with this idea, but I think it's a pretty cool concept.

MageDisjunction
2016-12-25, 09:54 PM
Zhentarim Skymages, Dragons as Mount is always fun and cool!
Knight of the Thorn(Gray Robe), Lawful Evil villains is always cooler.

Draconium
2016-12-25, 10:04 PM
I like Elemental Scion of Zilargo from Magic of Eberron. Particularly its very interesting 7th level ability Elemental Merge in conjunction with the Water Devotion feat.

You can make a Water Elemental and then fuse with it to become effectively invulnerable and transfer any temporary buffs on you to the Elemental. When the Elemental dies, you pop out unharmed to create another Elemental. You can combine with Shape Soulmeld: Threefold Mask of the Chimera and Open Chakra to do all of that in one turn without any repercussion as you cease existing (effectively) inside the Elemental.

I wasn't the one to come up with this idea, but I think it's a pretty cool concept.

... Aaaand now I'm picturing that scene from Avatar: The Last Airbender where Aang merges with the Ocean Spirit and forms Koizilla. Anyone else?

http://www.musogato.com/avatar/pics/spirit-ocean.jpg

Zanos
2016-12-25, 10:07 PM
... Aaaand now I'm picturing that scene from Avatar: The Last Airbender where Aang merges with the Ocean Spirit and forms Koizilla. Anyone else?

http://www.musogato.com/avatar/pics/spirit-ocean.jpg
Links a tad broken there, friendo.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-25, 10:08 PM
In before the inevitable frost mage joke (surprisingly)

So I'm gonna go with one of my recent fav's; paladin based ruby knight vindicator. All of the zealotry, son.

stanprollyright
2016-12-25, 10:12 PM
Well, Frostburn will probably have what you want then, since it's the Cold-Outside-Book.

What's cooler than being cool?

MageDisjunction
2016-12-25, 10:13 PM
Zhentarim Skymage
Knight of the thorns
Frost Mage
Daggerspell Mage

AND CLEAR!! FAVORITE!! BLACKGUARD

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-25, 10:21 PM
How about a changeling wizard/spell sovereign who specializes in shapeshifting familiars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?506193-A(n-un)Familiar-Little-Trick)?

Get as many familiars and familiar-boosters as you can get. Obtain Familiar, Extra Familiar, spell sovereign's living spell familiar, Improved Familiar, Planar Familiar, urban druid's urban companion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) (for especially difficult fights), and so on.

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-25, 10:24 PM
maiden of pain: it's a whip-based divine duskblade, but you can transfer arguable any touch based attack you have through your whips.

Draconium
2016-12-25, 10:26 PM
Links a tad broken there, friendo.

Strange, it's working fine for me.

Anderlith
2016-12-25, 10:41 PM
Factotum
Ur-Priests are weird
Frostrager if you wanna go that way

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-25, 10:42 PM
Strange, it's working fine for me.The picture is in your cache. Clear that, and it should be broken for you, too.

Particle_Man
2016-12-25, 11:29 PM
In before the inevitable frost mage joke (surprisingly)

So I'm gonna go with one of my recent fav's; paladin based ruby knight vindicator. All of the zealotry, son.

AND CLEAR!! FAVORITE!! BLACKGUARD

That reminds me, Wee Jas is one of those interesting gods that you could have a follower for that starts as a paladin, becomes an ex-paladin/blackguard, and never once waivers in their devotion to their Ruby Goddess.

I find that pretty cool! ;)

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-25, 11:39 PM
That reminds me, Wee Jas is one of those interesting gods that you could have a follower for that starts as a paladin, becomes an ex-paladin/blackguard, and never once waivers in their devotion to their Ruby Goddess.

I find that pretty cool! ;)

Maybe. She explicitly rejects evil clerics but I don't recall an official stance on blackguards so...

Particle_Man
2016-12-26, 01:56 AM
Maybe. She explicitly rejects evil clerics but I don't recall an official stance on blackguards so...

She rejects evil clerics? I did not know that. Is that in the phb?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-26, 02:00 AM
She rejects evil clerics? I did not know that. Is that in the phb?

No. I think it was in either CD or deities and demigods. I'm pretty sure though.

2016-12-26, 02:03 AM

Really? I recall the opposite. Granted, it's based on PHB stuff, rather than Demigods, but I recall that two of the LN deities (St Cuthbert and Wee Jas) accepted LN clerics, but one didn't accept LE (St Cuthbert), while one didn't accept LG (Wee Jas). I'll go check again, but I coulda sworn...

Zanos
2016-12-26, 02:22 AM
It would be weird if Wee Jas didn't allow Evil clerics, since I'm pretty sure some of her granted domains have [Evil] spells in them, and she's more or less fine with creating undead creatures, which is Evil.

Although I will point out it's entirely possible to violate a deities dogma without changing alignments at all. I don't think a Blackguard is very compatible with Wee Jas in most cases.

Komatik
2016-12-26, 03:50 AM
Druid ;)

10chars

The Viscount
2016-12-26, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some [Evil] spells end up on her lists, part of the weirdness that comes from being a god of death without actively desiring death for other things or also being a god of undeath.

Shadowbane Inquisitor is a very cool Paladin PrC with some stealth in it that provides an intentional natural entry into Blackguard (glossing over the disqualification nonsense).

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-26, 03:40 PM
Or cool classes? I'm bored, and want to see what kind of wacky, zany classes exist in 3.5!

Please provide examples, dinguses. :P

Cryokineticist. :smallbiggrin:

Alent
2016-12-26, 05:37 PM
I've always wanted to play an Eldritch Disciple. I just like the idea of spending a turning attempt, full attacking an ally with Eldritch Glaive, then announcing how many HP of healing he gets for being repeatedly stabbed in the head with a glowing polearm wreathed in hellfire.

Der_DWSage
2016-12-26, 06:07 PM
I'll buck the trend a little bit here-I've always been more fond of the Beguiler, simply because it's not an aggressive class. Unless you look around for the various ways to add spells to your list, it's a perfect setup for a pacifist trickster, which is a playstyle I adore.

It also requires that you keep on your toes and pay a lot more attention to your surroundings and the condition of your opponents in order to create illusions that your GM will accept as valid.

Komatik
2016-12-26, 06:19 PM
I'll buck the trend a little bit here-I've always been more fond of the Beguiler, simply because it's not an aggressive class. Unless you look around for the various ways to add spells to your list, it's a perfect setup for a pacifist trickster, which is a playstyle I adore.

It also requires that you keep on your toes and pay a lot more attention to your surroundings and the condition of your opponents in order to create illusions that your GM will accept as valid.

I like Beguiler a lot too - bunch of interesting class abilities and full casting.

Clopin Silk
2016-12-26, 06:37 PM
In terms of Prestige classes, I'm a sucker for the Swiftblade. A caster Prestige class, the idea is to devote pretty much all your spell slots to Haste, and then the bonuses from the Prestige class mean that you turn into this lightning-fast, sword-swinging maniac, just hacking through people before they can even begin to react, like some sort of ridiculous anime character. Other magic users will look down on you as stunted and cutthroat, but they probably won't fell safe saying it to your face.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-26, 06:54 PM

It also requires that you keep on your toes and pay a lot more attention to your surroundings and the condition of your opponents in order to create illusions that your GM will accept as valid.Beguiler can be fun -- with a DM that allows you to play it like it's supposed to be played. I've had DMs that absolutely hated mind-affecting stuff and illusions, meaning a good chunk of the spell list would've been utterly wasted.