PDA

View Full Version : Game of thrones vs.

Kyberwulf
2016-12-25, 05:31 PM
Just a couple fights I was curious about.

First off.

The Hound vs. Brown.
This is one I am conflicted. On one hand I think one on one arena setting, I think the hound has this. However in a normal setting I think Bronn has this. Both fights would be close though. For the fight assume what they generally used armor and sword for sander. Sword and Kukuri for Brown.

For the second.

The viper vs. Drogo.
Again, I think this fight would be a tie. Just because Drogo would get hit by the poisoned fangs. I however would love to see that fight.

The last.

Just because I find the idea ludicrously awesome.

Madmartigan vs. Jaime.
I don't know how skilled Madmartigan is, I just think that fight would be fun to watch.

Dienekes
2016-12-26, 02:09 AM
Book or show?

In the books, Sandor is kind of a near unstoppable juggernaut of a fighter. He's the one that Jaime compares every fighter he sees to, and always putting Sandor above them. He fights off multiple opponents several times and wins, once when he was completely drunk. In fact we never see him lose a fight. Off screen, he did lose the melee to Thoros of Myr, and he blames the man's flaming sword for that. I'm not sure if you want to believe him about it or not.

While, Brown Ben Plum is smart, but doesn't seem to be all that renown a fighter. If instead you meant Bronn, well that's closer. But I'd still give it to Sandor. Bronn is about as good as a non-courtly trained mercenary can be, and while he is definitely a great fighter, he relies a lot on observing weaknesses and exploiting them. Ser Vardis was old and in heavy armor, so he outfitted himself lightly and basically made the old knight tire himself out before he played dirty to win. And when he's in King's Landing he spends his days observing knights and learning their habits and weaknesses, to exploit if they should ever have to fight. When confronted with someone who he does not believe he can get that easy victory, Gregor, Bronn refuses to fight. Meanwhile, Sandor walked in front of Gregor to defend some knight that he didn't care about for no particular reason, and not only defended Loras, kind of made the fight look easy. Sandor doesn't really have any revealed weaknesses except his fear of fire, which he has fought through several times. He's stronger than Bronn, he is probably as skilled or more than Bronn, and it has been commented repeatedly that Sandor is very fast, not just for a man of his size, just in general he's good.

I give that one to Sandor.

Viper vs Drogo is another one, where the book makes makes it clearer the strengths and weaknesses of each. The Viper is a great fighter, one of the best in all of Westeros. But Khal Drogo is an insanely talented prodigy. He may have the most raw skill of any warrior in the entire series. However, he is held back a bit because he doesn't wear armor as a cultural thing. In this fight, I'd say Drogo would win. For about a day. Then the poison that the Viper totally laced his weapon with would slowly kill Drogo.

I haven't seen Willow in a long time, so I can't really comment on that last one.

Kyberwulf
2016-12-26, 04:17 AM
Either. My phone auto corrects haphazardly all the time. I meant Bronn lol

Knaight
2016-12-26, 09:47 AM
Meanwhile, Sandor walked in front of Gregor to defend some knight that he didn't care about for no particular reason, and not only defended Loras, kind of made the fight look easy.

I'd agree with the general thesis that Sandor Clegane is one of the very best fighters in the entire series, given that Jaime Lannister is explicitly one of the best swordsmen that Westeros has ever seen and that Sandor is his point of comparison, plus the series of fights we see him winning. With that said, Sandor walking in front of Gregor wasn't necessarily something he did without really caring because he knew he could. He has no history with Loras, he has exactly the sort of history with Gregor that makes beating him down in front of everyone a fairly enjoyable prospect.

Aedilred
2016-12-27, 06:00 AM
If I remember rightly, the Hound is the one contemporary fighter Jaime knows who he's not confident that he could beat (pre-Zollo). To get significantly better you have to reach back to fighters we know largely by reputation alone: Barristan in his prime; a young Robert; Arthur Dayne. An argument could be made for Mance Rayder, I guess.

Bronn is a good fighter but one who I think the fandom have a tendency to overrate. He has survived this long by not fighting battles he's not confident of winning, whereas the Hound wins battles he has no right to. Bronn is sceptical of his own ability to face Gregor, while Sandor holds his own against him without apparent undue difficulty. I wonder in fact whether he is actually even the best mercenary-freerider type we see, given the impressive accomplishments of Lothor Brune, who seems to be to Littlefinger as Bronn is to Tyrion.

A fighter almost never mentioned in these discussions is Strong Belwas. He seems pretty decent. But it's inherently very hard to compare eastern-style fighters in the series - including Oberyn Martell - with Westerosi knights. We rarely see them fight each other and their styles and equipment are so different. We see a couple of times how a fully tooled up Westerosi knight, first Jorah, then Barristan, is able to deal rather more easily with eastern fighters than one would expect given apparent relative skill levels. On the other hand, Oberyn was able to defeat Gregor without too much trouble, his lapse in concentration which ended up reversing the result notwithstanding.

Knaight
2016-12-27, 12:48 PM
If I remember rightly, the Hound is the one contemporary fighter Jaime knows who he's not confident that he could beat (pre-Zollo). To get significantly better you have to reach back to fighters we know largely by reputation alone: Barristan in his prime; a young Robert; Arthur Dayne. An argument could be made for Mance Rayder, I guess.

The other problem here is that there are some very competent fighters who don't have a very far ranging reputation for whatever reason. Take Rattleshirt - nobody even knew who he was south of the wall, but there's a long list of knights who he could beat the snot out of. Qhorin halfhand is in basically the same position, and was probably even better before his injury. Even Mance Rayder fits in this category.

Aedilred
2016-12-28, 11:38 AM
Hello
While, Brown Ben Plum is savvy, however doesn't appear to be all that prestige a warrior. In the event that rather you implied Bronn, well that is nearer. In any case, despite everything i'd offer it to Sandor. Bronn is about comparable to a non-elegant prepared soldier of fortune can be, keeping in mind he is unquestionably an incredible warrior, he depends a great deal on watching shortcomings and misusing them. Ser Vardis was old and in overwhelming defensive layer, so he equipped himself softly and essentially made the old knight tire himself out before he played grimy to win. Furthermore, when he's in King's Landing he spends his days watching knights and taking in their propensities and shortcomings, to abuse on the off chance that they ought to ever need to battle. At the point when gone up against with somebody who he doesn't trust he can get that simple triumph, Gregor, Bronn declines to battle. In the mean time, Sandor strolled before Gregor to guard some knight that he couldn't have cared less about for no specific reason, and not just protected Loras, sort of made the battle look simple. Sandor doesn't generally have any uncovered shortcomings with the exception of his dread of flame, which he has battled through a few circumstances. He's more grounded than Bronn, he is most likely as talented or more than Bronn, and it has been remarked over and again that Sandor is quick, not only for a man of his size, just when all is said in done he's great.

This is some seriously impressive bot-work.