PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wrath Of Righteous Campaign Build Help

Malik
2016-12-25, 09:22 PM
Hi, I'm playing the WoR campaign and my Paladin has just died in an epic battle against a monk dragon (don't ask). Now I need to make a new character and am kinda stumped. The problem is our party has a knack for not listening to common sense and are not 100% capable of seeing the difference between chaos and good (my paladin had to argue quite strenuously at times that killing a captive, desecrating corpses and setting buildings on fire with enemies inside, were not good acts.) So i thought for a change of pace I would not create another one and asked our GM what our party needed. Since my Paladin has died we are down to 1 front line warrior and I was thinking about building a meat shield, but I am having trouble making one because I find all the paladin abilities very useful.

We are using a 25 point buy with 46,000gp starting wealth and are only limited by using all official material.

So ask you Internet people to help me build a warrior of epic proportions to fight the demons of the worldwound

Serafina
2016-12-26, 06:24 AM
You're playing WotR without someone being able to resurrect people?

Well, since you asked for a new character - what level were you playing at? I'd guess level 9 based on the starting wealth, but confirmation would be nice.
Also, I'll presume that you're using mythic rules and will be hitting mythic tier 3 soon.

Since you seem to be lacking in divine spellcasters, I can make a recommendation:
play a lawful good Oracle, use Bestow Grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bestow-grace) and later Bestow Grace of the Champion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/bestow-grace-of-the-champion) on yourself and eligible party members. That basically gives you the main abilities of a paladin (+charisma to saves and later smite evil).
Since you're using mythic rules, you're bypassing the main issue of spontaneous casting - you can get any rare spell you want by spending mythic power.

An Oracle can be a good frontliner - sure, you only have a D8 HD and a medium BAB, but you have several advantages over the paladin and can compensate for the drawbacks:
- buff spells such as Divine Favor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/divine-favor) (with the Fates Favored (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/faith-traits/fate-s-favored) trait) and Blessing of Fervor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blessing-of-fervor) make you quite good at melee combat.
- if you take the Guardian mythic path and the Exposed to Awfullness trait, you'll get +3 hit points per level, plus the 10 hp/tier from Guardian. That's easily enough hitpoints
- reach weapons go well together with casting anyway
- you can use life link and alternatives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot) to just keep your party alive better.

And actually, let me just straight-up recommend a build for you. How about a character that can turn into a dragon, given that you were killed by one?
Race: Human
Alternate Racial Traits: Fey Magic (Replaces Skilled). Perception and Use Magic Device as class skills. Three 0th-level and one 1st-level Druid Spell as Spell-like abilities, castable 1/day in one Favored Terrain. Gain Low-Light Vision
Ability Scores: (25 PB) Strength 18(20), Dexterity 13, Constutition 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 16(18)
Class: Oracle 9 (Dragon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/dragon-oracle-mystery) Mystery, Spirit Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo---oracle-archetypes/spirit-guide), Shattered Psyche (http://archivesofnethys.com/OracleCurses.aspx) Curse), Guardian 2
Traits: Fates Favored, Exposed to Awfulness
Feats: Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Toughness, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Racial Heritage (Samsaran)
Mythic Feats: Dual Path (Hierophant), Mythic Racial Heritage (Mystic Past Life)
Mythic Powers: Mythic Domain, Extra Mythic Feat
Revelations: Tail Swipe (+1 attack of Opportunity, 5 foot reach, 1D8 damage), Dragon Senses (120 foot Darkvision)
Spells: Orisons: Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Purify Food and Water, Guidance, Light, Read Magic, Mending
1st Level: Divine Favor, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Tap Inner Beatuy, Cure Light Wounds, Cause Fear, three other spells
2nd level: Aid, Ancestral Communion, Augury, Bestow Grace, Grace, Lesser Restoration, Cure Moderate Wounds, Resist Energy
3rd level: Dispel Magic, Draconic Ally, Fly, Cure Serious Wounds
4th level: Bestow Grace of the Champion, Divine Fervor, Eaglesoul
Items: Soothsayers Raiment (Form of the Dragon)
For the most part, you grab a reach weapon and go to town. Ideally, you buff yourself up before combat too, though casting some in combat also works well (it'll get much better later, with quickened spells and longer-duration buffs). You can take other spells as well, of course.
But the real trick is turning yourself into a Dragon twice per day. It'll last 130 minutes thanks to mythic domain.
Form of the Dragon I (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/form-of-the-dragon-i) gives you +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +4 natural armor (though you do lose the bonus from your actual armor), a fly speed and an elemental resistance. And of course a bite, two claw and two wing-attacks, which should hurt quite a bit.
At 11th level, you just pick Form of the Dragon as a revelation normally (instead of getting it from equipment), and now have four uses. You'll also be high enough level that you can use Form of the Dragon II, which increases all bonuses, throws in a tail attack and some damage reduction. Or you can use the medium-sized dragon form for 15 hours at a time - at this point, you could even stay in dragon form the entire day.

As for roleplaying:
Apsu (http://archivesofnethys.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Apsu) is the god of good dragons, among other things. He actually has ties to Iomedae (and possibly a child with her, a gold dragon, which serves her). He normally doesn't make Oracles, but since an Oracle can choose to worship whomever they want and you as a mythic character are an exception by definition, that works rather well.
Also, remember Terendelev at the start of the campaign path? It'd be perfectly reasonable to have someone else in Kenabres receive a splinter of her power, uplifting them to mythic, and being a dragon oracle that way. You can even always choose to turn into a Silver Dragon if you want, and I'd actually ask the GM if you restrict your abilities to that, in exchange of only getting resitst cold 20 but no vulnerability to fire. (just for optimization, it's better to pick form of the alien dragon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/form-of-the-alien-dragon) and then the time dragon, but that's boring).

Malik
2016-12-26, 05:50 PM
Sorry I should have clarified better. Yes we are 9th level, our GM decided if our character died we would be unable to create a mythic character as they werent there when the characters first became mythic then the new characters aren't and also dont have access to the scale

Kish
2016-12-26, 06:05 PM
So character death=no resurrection & you go through the rest of the standard mythic campaign with a nonmythic character?

That...sounds like a horrendously bad ruling.

Serafina
2016-12-26, 06:19 PM
....that's a REALLY bad idea. The power difference between non-mythic and mythic characters is huge. Sure, right now you may go by just fine, but later on:
- casters get much more powerful spells
- casters get more spells per day, and get them spontaneously
- casters get better metamagic
- casters can get 24h buff spells
- martials get swift-action movement
- martials get swift-action attacks
- everyone can get some really unique tricks
- everyone gets better defenses
- everyone eventually gets quick refreshes of all non-mythic powers
- everyone eventually gets near-immortality via automatic resurrection
- opponents will start using powers that are utterly devastating to non-mythic characters

I hate to intervene in player/GM relationships, but this is almost as silly as making you start over with a level 1 character.
Generally, a "replacement" character should be as powerful as everyone else in the party. It's more fun for everyone involved, unless it gets abused to constantly switch out characters.

And really - why is your character considered permanently dead?
The Crusaders certainly have people who can cast Raise Dead. They have at least some who can cast Resurrection. Even a scroll of True Resurrection would "only" cost 28025 gp. That's steep, but the Crusade is reasonably well funded and at the very least has some important people (such as Queen Galfrey, who is level 15) for whom they have such things.
So really, there should be some means of getting your raised from the dead. Unless your group has been horrible, you ought to be have had at least one audience with the queen, prevented the wardstone network from falling, and done other important things for the crusade. Even without pulling something like "divine intervention" (which wouldn't be out of place either), you have people who should be willing to aid you in at least getting a resurrection on a loan.

Now if you actually want to replace your character - again, honestly, your GM is kinda not getting how steep the power imbalance between mythic and non-mythic is.
And it's not like there aren't other sources of mythic power.
A blessing by a deity.
Just being in Kenabres and getting incredibly lucky - due to a wardstone or Terendelev or something.
Getting lucky and bringing down a mythic demon - unlikely, but then again, so are most heroic deeds.
Managing to get redeemed after working for the demons, maybe even in a position of high power.
Sure, you need a plausible explanation - but there's plenty of options!

Malik
2016-12-27, 01:24 AM
Our party consists of 13 people with an average showing of about 10. We are in the third module, and we rebuilt Drezen pretty quick thank to a Cleric and my Paladin (who had i think it was called sustained by faith {1 hour rest and able to use all class abilities again} mythic ability) spending time healing everyone. Most of the party is either CE and CG and only out for themselves so pooling of resources doesn't happen as everyone wants 'the best loot' and the most gold. I think the GM found having so many Mythics running around making the encounters too easy even when he ramps them up (and some just throwing themselves into danger willy nilly not caring because they could just become another mythic, so its only a recent ruling). So I'm just rolling with it for the mean time and trying to make the most of it. I've played two Paladins but both times been killed due to the parties liking to ignore common sense and anything the Paladin said either time.

Kish
2016-12-27, 01:53 PM
Well, you've trumped the "the GM says my replacement character has to be nonmythic" with "the GM allows Chaotic Evil characters, and 'Chaotic Good' characters who act Chaotic Evil, in Wrath of the Righteous."

If you don't want to walk away (which is what I would do for at least three reasons), you could always make a Chaotic "Neutral" character with the secret goal of getting the rest of the PCs killed so that you won't be the glorified hireling you're otherwise going to be as a nonmythic character in a group with 9-12 Chaotic Selfish mythic characters.

Ezekiul
2016-12-27, 03:44 PM
Thought of a very sinister route you could go based on the other postings.

1. Convince your DM to let you pick up Mother Cyst from 3.5
2. Build a buff focused Oracle with either Battle (for self buffs/heavy armor prof) or or Life (if you want to heal/tank).
-Take lots of buff spells (Blessing of Fervor is amazing, so are the mass ability score buffs and other communal buffs)
-Take the trait Magical Lineage (Protection from Evil Communal)
-Pick up the Reach Spell feat for free close range mass Protection from Evil
-Sneak in Mother Cyst, Silent Spell, and Still Spell feats.
-Eventually get Chain Spell and Spell Perfection (Magic Vestments, Ward Shield, Freedom of Movement, or Death Ward)
3. When you buff people, make it a point for your character to always ask for permission with something along the lines of "Will you accept this spell I am about to give you?".
4. Throughout your travels ask the question, and hit them with the Stilled, Silent Necrotic Cyst spell (it last forever so no need to worry about it after the first casting).
5. Wait for dire situations and cast a Stilled, Silent Necrotic Domination. This gives you a telepathic link with whomever you cast it on so you can give orders like "Sacrifice yourself to save us" or things of that nature.
6. Slowly destroy your party from the inside for daring to think you lesser for not having any mythic abilities.

Malik
2016-12-27, 10:08 PM
Sorry, I meant CN not CE. (I really need to proof read what i write better). There are unfortunately not very many gaming groups in my area and I like to try and stick things through to the end. I have thought about doing the whole slowly destroying the group from within but that just doesn't sit well with me.

GM will only use pathfinder materials for the campaign so wouldn't be able to use mother cyst.

I have thought of going Kobold Sorcerer with Kobold boodline, but I haven't played a real spellcaster before in Pathfinder, hence my choice of a meatshield option