PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever plan an Exemplar?

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-17, 02:02 PM
They're clearly an underpowered PrC, but being that skilled just looks fun.

Person_Man
2007-07-17, 02:15 PM
There are a variety of special abilities tied to a Skill Check.

For example, Insightful Strike from the Tome of Battle does damage = to your Concentration check. So an Exemplar would add +7 to that check (+3 from Skill Focus, +4 from Skill Artistry) and the ability to Take 10 on the check. With Greater Insightful Strike, it becomes +14.

Another option is the Justicar, who can replace Use Rope for his Grapple check. With the Hogtie ability, he can essentially take down any enemy with 1 attack.

Not uber, but certainly worthy of a 1 level dip for the right build.

KIDS
2007-07-17, 02:16 PM
I sometimes dipped into them for skill mastery/artistry and good will save and it turned out allright; though as you said, they're quite underpowered and not specifically good at anything, even skills. Giving them 10 skill points, while not unbalancing, makes them much more alluring and gives players some reason for sticking with the class up to high levels I think.

Jimp
2007-07-17, 02:56 PM
It can also be handy for the Iaijutsu Strike skill from Oriental Adventures. It adds extra d6's to your damage when you draw and strike with your weapon in the same movement. The higher your roll the more damage you do.

FireSpark
2007-07-17, 03:36 PM
My wife olayed a rogue (with an already disturbingly high INT score to begin with) and this PrC caught her eye. Now we only managed to play in that campaign to the point that she gained three or four exemplar levels, but by that point she was disabling traps, whilst hanging upside down, in the midlle of a combat situation. Not to mention she was the party's official magic item tester.:smallbiggrin:

If you have characters that focus on skills instead of combat from their inception, this class is far from underpowered.

CaptainSam
2007-07-17, 04:34 PM
I plan to take my Bard down the Exemplar route.

He'll eventually become the most famous Bard in the whole of Faerun! He will be adored by millions. He will live in a golden shag-palace on top of a mountain. He will have kings and emperors calling at his door to perform for them. The very gods themselves will shower him with praise! He will live forever in the hearts of the people. HE WILL BE IMMORTAL!!!

Underpowered, you say?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-17, 04:59 PM
Exemplar is an extraordinary one-level dip for a Truenamer. The ability to take 10 on Truespeech checks is gold, and the rest is icing. Beyond that, it's not really that terrific except in very specific builds--most of whom are mobility junkies.

goat
2007-07-17, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that you're not allowed to take 10 or 20 on a truenaming roll.

Just another way they gimped the class really. It needs an overhaul, and some more spells.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-07-18, 01:09 AM
Nanites (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=458721). 'Nuff said.

Leon
2007-07-18, 01:43 AM
I wrote one up as a "Iron Chef" Exemplar, Halfling Gourmet Chef

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-18, 01:48 AM
Diplomancer: This class was made for them.
Truenamer: Equally good benefit.

Anyone else: Meh.

Person_Man
2007-07-18, 09:45 AM
Nanites (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=458721). 'Nuff said.

HAHAHAHA!!! I'd forgotten about the Nanobots.

Party Member A is a Cleric who casts Animate Objects (1 object per caster level per casting)

Party Member B is a Swordsage/Exemplar with Greater Insightful Strike.

The Fine sized animated objects walk around in the same square are the Party member B, using Aid Another to help him hit or a Ready Action to help him Concentrate. 2 * (# of Objects*2) damage. So at 11th level (the minimum required for Party Member A to cast Animate Objects) you get a +44 to damage on your Greater Insightful Strike.

And you're also an unbeatable Skill Monkey. Heck, with UMD a custom Wand, you don't even need the Cleric.

The Toy Master is born! Just make sure to carry around a few dozen adamantine trinkets at all times for you to animate.

Good times.

TomTheRat
2007-07-23, 12:51 AM
I'm in a TOEE game, with 7 players. I'm the rogue/skill monkey, currently Rogue 5/Thief-Acrobat 2. I'm planning to go to TA5, then dip 1 Exemplar (Barbarian after for RP reasons).

The advantages for someone who's whole role in the party (remember, 7 players) is to disable traps and such is pretty significant. A free +4 on Disable Device and then skill mastry for Search, Disable, and UMD is great. Never mind that TA gives mastry for all the mobility skills.

It's certainly not a powerhouse PrC, but dipping is damned viable.

SadisticFishing
2007-07-23, 02:00 AM
Exemplar is an extraordinary one-level dip for a Truenamer. The ability to take 10 on Truespeech checks is gold, and the rest is icing. Beyond that, it's not really that terrific except in very specific builds--most of whom are mobility junkies.

Haha, I read the first post, and I'd been trying to figure out how to actually play a truespeaker - this makes it actually work.

A level 20 truespeaker with 23 ranks in it and an int mod of (18+6+4=28(+9)[this is assuming 15 int and grey elf, or 17 and human]) and skill focus and the greater amulet has 23+9+3+10=+45 on truespeaking. With the +4 from this class, and taking 10, you can make Truespeaking work on people with 59-15=44/2 .... 22 hit dice... no matter what...

Yay!

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-23, 12:19 PM
Eventually, you get an ability that allows you to substitute your skill for a diplomacy check.

Play a Balance exemplar:
"We don't accept your kind here; leave now."
"Try and push me down."
"Leave, we're not letting you in."
"TRY AND PUSH ME DOWN."
"Alright...wow, that's very stable. Go ahead."

Play a Jump exemplar:
"Wow, you really are the Super Mario, please go ahead."

Play a Diplomacy exemplar:
"What you were talking about had nothing to do with this conversation, but your logic was so intelligent that I can only assume if we did talk about letting you through you would convince me. So go ahead."

Play a Concentration exemplar:
"Why are you just standing there? What are you thinking about? Why are you thinking so hard? Okay, go ahead."

Play a Sleight of Hand exemplar:
"Woah, there really was a gold piece behind my ear. Go ahead."

Play a Craft (Origami) exemplar:
"Wow, you've crafted an entire model of the city, which demonstrates my position in the grand scheme of things and causes me to rethink my loyalties. Go ahead."

Fax Celestis
2007-07-23, 12:25 PM
Play a Craft (Origami) exemplar:
"Wow, you've crafted an entire model of the city, which demonstrates my position in the grand scheme of things and causes me to rethink my loyalties. Go ahead."

I have a sudden desire to do this now.

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-23, 12:33 PM
Sense motive exemplar: WOW! Your the first person to ever really GET me. (Single teardrop) Go ahead through.

Dragonmuncher
2007-07-23, 12:48 PM
Handle Animal exemplar: Aw, lookit the little doggie! I can't say no to that face! All right, go ahead.

Hehehehehe...

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-23, 01:00 PM
I have a sudden desire to do this now.
Of course your character would have to be mute, and ONLY able to communicate via Origami.

I love Venture Bros.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-23, 09:14 PM
I wrote one up as a "Iron Chef" Exemplar, Halfling Gourmet Chef

Belkar?

I have seen this prestige class, doesn't look very interesting.