PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to PF Barbarian optimize

flappeercraft
2016-12-25, 11:37 PM
So between all the time I have played D&D I have only played 3.5 edition and only learned the rules of that version. But due to me learning quite a bit of 3.5 and having a decent amount of system mastery a friend of mine wanted me to help him optimize his PF barbarian to cheese levels that would make someone who sees it become lactose intolerant, as both versions are supposedly pretty similar he wanted me to start learning for me to be able to help him. So I come to the playground, how does one Pathfinder? What do you reccomend for me to make his Barbarian like? Only thing he requested was that his Barbarian used a Greatsword, is human and 10th level. Nothing else. Someone able to help me?

Edit: I've been reading a bit on the barbarian class and not really anything else, I saw the Titan mauler Archetype and it seems good and from what I read about PF human it looks good but I know like nothing of PF, not even much of the basics tbh so are they worth using?

2016-12-26, 02:35 AM
So between all the time I have played D&D I have only played 3.5 edition and only learned the rules of that version. But due to me learning quite a bit of 3.5 and having a decent amount of system mastery a friend of mine wanted me to help him optimize his PF barbarian to cheese levels that would make someone who sees it become lactose intolerant, as both versions are supposedly pretty similar he wanted me to start learning for me to be able to help him. So I come to the playground, how does one Pathfinder? What do you reccomend for me to make his Barbarian like? Only thing he requested was that his Barbarian used a Greatsword, is human and 10th level. Nothing else. Someone able to help me?

Before I say anything else, here's a few links:

Anger Management: A Pathfinder Guide to the Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?233032-PF-Anger-Management-A-Pathfinder-Guide-to-the-Barbarian)
How to be the Lord of Rage: N. Jolly’s guide to the Pathfinder Barbarian (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1plVgdYb5KYxtXiysgd_pzdK-37PCmz2u9VzpuvNPDdo/edit)
Pathfinder - The Barbarian Handbook (http://rpgbot.net/pathfinder/characters/classes/barbarian/)

Those should prove useful in your search for optimization advice. Now, let's move on.

Edit: I've been reading a bit on the barbarian class and not really anything else, I saw the Titan mauler Archetype and it seems good and from what I read about PF human it looks good but I know like nothing of PF, not even much of the basics tbh so are they worth using?

Titan Mauler used to be godawful, now it's only mediocre. The big issue I see with it right now is that you still can't be using both Jotungrip and Massive Weapons at the same time, meaning one of them is a wasted class feature (to clarify, Jotungrip only applies to weapons appropriately sized for you, while Massive Weapons only applies to weapons not appropriately sized for you). And ultimately, it means you're giving up Trap Sense, (Improved) Uncanny Dodge, and Fast Movement for the ability to wield a weapon that's one damage size larger than normal...which isn't super-impressive IMO, as far as damage goes.

While generally speaking, I'll point you towards the guides for optimization advice, I will say that my experience with barbarians has either been a big dude two-handing a weapon and power attacking for massive gains, or a barbarian stacking tons of natural attacks together into a massive pounce. Either way, you'll wanna go Animal Totem for that lvl 10 Rage Power that gives you the ability to make a full attack on a charge.