PDA

View Full Version : Weird class idea

TheManicMonocle
2016-12-26, 12:19 AM
Ok so I had a weird idea for a class for D&D, what if it was some kind of highly specialized wizard savant who only knew one spell, but had a ridiculous amount of spell slots?

khadgar567
2016-12-26, 01:45 AM
so basicly warlock with just eldritch blast and no invocations

Vrock_Summoner
2016-12-26, 01:56 AM
There are, in fact, two (two? I think it's two) prestige classes that kind of do this, although one is Cleric and I think the other is still not wizard. They give you one spell per spell level, with as many slots as normal, but with typical sped-up progression for 9th-level spellcasting prestige classes.

It can't be much different than one spell per spell level - getting one spell exactly would be either useless or broken with no in between, since spells don't really scale. So you either start with a low-level spell and become useless pretty fast, or start with a high-level spell and wreck the entire game for however long it takes for people to get equally powerful abilities... and then get left behind again if there's still more advancement to go, come to think of it.

TheManicMonocle
2016-12-26, 05:26 AM
well like I was thinking, wizard with 15 slots of whatever spell they choose at their level or something, and maybe they know swords and armor too? And I was thinking too that like, every time the class would gain access to a new spell level, they could swap out their spell forba new one of the appropriate level

Inevitability
2016-12-26, 06:13 AM
How do you propose making the class stay fun if all a player can do is 'I cast spell X'?

Either you'll have people sitting around resignedly, or you end up with people picking a highly versatile spell (Summon Monster line, Alter Self/Polymorph/Shapechange) and not playing too different from a normal wizard.

TheManicMonocle
2016-12-26, 07:23 AM
How do you propose making the class stay fun if all a player can do is 'I cast spell X'?

Either you'll have people sitting around resignedly, or you end up with people picking a highly versatile spell (Summon Monster line, Alter Self/Polymorph/Shapechange) and not playing too different from a normal wizard.

true, maybe like, 2 spells? See, this is slightly inspired by superheroes, who have like 1-3 powers at best most of the time

Inevitability
2016-12-26, 07:41 AM
true, maybe like, 2 spells? See, this is slightly inspired by superheroes, who have like 1-3 powers at best most of the time

I think the average superpower is slightly broader than a spell, though.

Heroes like Superman have a ton of powers with no unified theme. To duplicate all that, you'd need at least a dozen spells, probably more.

Even a hero with only a single power, such as 'ice manipulation', still needs multiple spells to be accurately duplicated. There's something needed for turning water into ice, melting ice down, throwing shards of ice, sculpting ice, perhaps some ice monster-summoning...

Really, what's wrong with a warlock with some homebrewed invocations?

LokiRagnarok
2016-12-26, 10:50 AM
I think you may be looking for a whole other system altogether? Mutants&Masterminds?

JNAProductions
2016-12-26, 11:26 AM
Maybe a class that can continually create new variations on a theme?

TheManicMonocle
2016-12-26, 12:26 PM
I think you may be looking for a whole other system altogether? Mutants&Masterminds?

maybe, but honestly I don't want to learn another system, sounds like alot of work xD

Jay R
2016-12-26, 01:00 PM
In 3.5, you can come close to this with Silent Image, and go Shadowcraft Mage as early as possible. It's one spell, but will allow a huge number of options.

Alternatively, you'd want a flexible spell, which does different things at different levels.

Firest Kathon
2016-12-26, 06:04 PM
I think the Spheres of Power (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/) subsystem does something like this. It was designed for Pathfinder, but would work equally well with 3.5.

Âmesang
2016-12-27, 10:27 AM
I've the sudden urge to play a "force missile mage" from DRAGON Magazine #328/DRAGON Compendium.

Fri
2016-12-27, 10:43 AM
Seconding that your idea is basically just warlock who focuses on eldritch blast. You can play it that way, and still got some variation spells if you feel like it.

LibraryOgre
2016-12-27, 04:33 PM
I think the average superpower is slightly broader than a spell, though.

Cyclops. Havok.

But, yeah, this sounds similar to a 3e Warlock. You could even allow him invocations, so long as you limited him to invocations that manipulated the Eldritch Blast.

Freed
2016-12-27, 04:58 PM
Well, you see, I think some spells, like shape water, could be used in a variety of ways. I form an ice wall in front of me! I shoot icicles at him! I grab him with the water and pull him into the river! These
are all things you can do with one spell (Cantrip) but the variety of things you can do prevents you from just saying "I cast shape water." Personally, I think Cantrips would definitely be more fun to use repeatedly, as they are way more flexible.

Kane0
2016-12-28, 01:07 AM
What edition of D&D by the way?

Inevitability
2016-12-28, 01:53 AM
Well, you see, I think some spells, like shape water, could be used in a variety of ways. I form an ice wall in front of me! I shoot icicles at him! I grab him with the water and pull him into the river! These
are all things you can do with one spell (Cantrip) but the variety of things you can do prevents you from just saying "I cast shape water." Personally, I think Cantrips would definitely be more fun to use repeatedly, as they are way more flexible.

Shape Water can do only the first, and only if there happens to be five foot-cube of water in front of you.

Freed
2016-12-28, 02:13 AM
Well, eldritch bolt can't do any of the three, and still shape water can do lots of things sorta similar to those.

Inevitability
2016-12-28, 03:58 AM
Well, eldritch bolt can't do any of the three, and still shape water can do lots of things sorta similar to those.

Those 'lots of things sorta similar' are mostly just fluff, though. How often are you in a situation where coloring water helps solving encounters? 80% of the cantrip is useless in any but the most contrived circumstances; creating an entire class around it is a horrible idea.

Fri
2016-12-28, 04:12 AM
Or you could, you know, play Mutant and Mastermind and make a character with "control water" as power.

Freed
2016-12-28, 11:08 AM
Well, sometimes you can make the king think he's been poisoned. And this class we speak can still use weapons.

Perch
2016-12-28, 11:47 AM
I did that once, two sorcerers who only knew one spell but as they level up the spell magnitude changes.

Higher levels can affect whole cities and epic levels entire kingdoms.

It worked well with silent image not so well with fireball.

But the fireball sorcerer had a blast with it... No pun intended.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-28, 12:15 PM
I call it..."Man with a gun."

Fri
2016-12-28, 10:25 PM
I did that once, two sorcerers who only knew one spell but as they level up the spell magnitude changes.

Higher levels can affect whole cities and epic levels entire kingdoms.

It worked well with silent image not so well with fireball.

But the fireball sorcerer had a blast with it... No pun intended.

I remember someone suggesting a character: sorcerer that only use one spell ever: silent image. Might be related to your character

Now I think of it, that's the perfect suggestion for this, yes.

Inevitability
2016-12-29, 05:04 AM
Well, sometimes you can make the king think he's been poisoned.

With Shape Water, you mean? I fail to see how changing the water's color is making the king think 'I have been poisoned' as opposed to 'some guy is changing the water's color'.

And this class we speak can still use weapons.

If your saving argument for a caster, of all things, is 'can still use weapons', something somewhere has gone horribly wrong. The ability to use weapons is no perk, it's a default trait of all characters.

Sam K
2016-12-29, 05:44 AM
Sounds like you could get the effect you want (sort of) by playing a battle sorc or some other variant, and just picking spells according to a very limited theme (like only fire spells, or only illusions). It's not perfect, but it's covered in the standard mechanics, so you don't have to invent and balance a whole new class.

You can fight, sort of. You can essentially have a single power with some variety (different ways of making illusions, different ways of setting stuff on fire). And because you're charisma based, you might actually be able to pull off that spandex-and-cape look so many super heroes seem to like!

icefractal
2016-12-29, 05:45 AM
There are a number of homebrew classes on TGD that seem similar to what the OP's looking for - single element theme, mostly unlimited use abilities.

This page (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50239) has a list that includes most of them. Off hand, Energy Mages, Fire Mage, Force Mage, Force Potentate, Snowscaper, Storm Lord, and Time Mage would fit. Also I think there are several more ice themed ones not linked on that page. Power level varies considerably.