PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next My taken on the Samurai martial archetype

Ethambutol
2016-12-26, 12:22 AM
Personally, I wasn't too impressed with WotC's UA Samurai archetype so I had a go drafting up my own.

I wanted a subtype with an Eastern aesthetic that focuses on a different aspect of martial combat and I hope I achieved giving the Samurai its own unique feel as a martial Fighter subclass.

Comments and critiques welcome!

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJ5AAB9Ne

Any help with clunky wording is welcome as well.

Durazno
2016-12-26, 03:08 PM
You've got some intriguing ideas here. I do have a few suggestions, but I'm not sure how they'd work in play.

*I'd recommend breaking up some of the En abilities. For instance, the ability that lets you spend your reaction to attack someone who moves within your En could be bundled in with Deadly Presence - it would supply a reason that enemies move more carefully around you now, and not before.

*Speaking of that ability, it should probably read "one attack against each enemy per round."

*I'm not sure if Deadly Presence should stack with terrain. And maybe enemies could have a way to mitigate Deadly Presence, like by spending one of their legendary actions or something.

Ethambutol
2016-12-26, 07:54 PM
You've got some intriguing ideas here. I do have a few suggestions, but I'm not sure how they'd work in play.

*I'd recommend breaking up some of the En abilities. For instance, the ability that lets you spend your reaction to attack someone who moves within your En could be bundled in with Deadly Presence - it would supply a reason that enemies move more carefully around you now, and not before.

*Speaking of that ability, it should probably read "one attack against each enemy per round."

*I'm not sure if Deadly Presence should stack with terrain. And maybe enemies could have a way to mitigate Deadly Presence, like by spending one of their legendary actions or something.

Thanks!

* Breaking up En: Attacking someone who moves with the radius is a core concept of this subclass so I'd be reluctant to move it to later. If Deadly Presence seems too strong a 7th level feature, perhaps something like: enemies that have been struck within the field of your En now move more warily within your En, consuming 2ft of movement for every 1ft they move?

* Good point, I'll change the wording to specifically state 'per round'. Thanks!

* It just doesn't make sense for Deadly Presence to be a terrain effect. Perhaps it'll be more balanced with the new requirement of needing to be hit within En first?

Durazno
2016-12-27, 12:59 AM
I think that Deadly Presence is fine as long as you can't cut enemies' speed to 1/4 by standing in rough terrain. One way to consider it is that if they're picking their way over rocks or across ice, then you'd have to do the same to reach them, which would be a mitigating factor in how closely they have to watch you.

Ethambutol
2016-12-27, 07:37 PM
I think that Deadly Presence is fine as long as you can't cut enemies' speed to 1/4 by standing in rough terrain. One way to consider it is that if they're picking their way over rocks or across ice, then you'd have to do the same to reach them, which would be a mitigating factor in how closely they have to watch you.

Are you suggesting just a line clarifying that it should not stack with difficult terrain?

Would anyone else like to offer a critique as well?

Llama513
2016-12-27, 08:08 PM
I really like what you have with En, but I think you should have the disadvantage reaction be usable a certain number of times per short rest, whether that is a constant 3 per short rest, or have it increase in the number of uses.

I think Iajitsu should be that you add another ability to your initiative, probably wisdom, as it goes off of your combat instinct, as there is no class that allows you to just go first in combat

Durazno
2016-12-27, 10:37 PM
A line saying it doesn't stack with difficult terrain would work, yes.

yuvraj1068
2016-12-28, 12:49 AM
it would supply a reason that enemies move more carefully around you now, and not before.
there is no class that allows you to just go first in combat
m not sure if Deadly Presence should stack with terrain

Potato_Priest
2016-12-28, 02:12 AM
This seems much better flavored, but I cannot speak as to the balance. I also was not impressed by the UA rendition, in that Resistance doesn't seem like a samurai thing.

Ethambutol
2016-12-28, 08:33 AM
I really like what you have with En, but I think you should have the disadvantage reaction be usable a certain number of times per short rest, whether that is a constant 3 per short rest, or have it increase in the number of uses.

I think Iajitsu should be that you add another ability to your initiative, probably wisdom, as it goes off of your combat instinct, as there is no class that allows you to just go first in combat

Is there a particular reason for your first suggestion? Is disadvantage once per round on a single attack at the cost of an offensive reaction really that strong?

The Iaijutsu feature allows you to act on initiative count 20 which not only does not guarantee you go first (as it is very possible to get an initiative count greater than 20), but only on the first round of combat and only once per short rest. Is that really too powerful? It doesn't seem any more powerful than the UA Ranger's advantage on initiative rolls or the Swashbuckler's CHA to initiative passives.

Llama513
2016-12-28, 12:44 PM
Is there a particular reason for your first suggestion? Is disadvantage once per round on a single attack at the cost of an offensive reaction really that strong?
Yes it is, at 3rd level, when rogue doesn't get to cut damage in half until 5th level, so giving disadvantage in conjunction with everything else that they get from En.

The Iaijutsu feature allows you to act on initiative count 20 which not only does not guarantee you go first (as it is very possible to get an initiative count greater than 20), but only on the first round of combat and only once per short rest. Is that really too powerful? It doesn't seem any more powerful than the UA Ranger's advantage on initiative rolls or the Swashbuckler's CHA to initiative passives.
It's not that its more powerful, its more of that having your initiative change during combat is unprecedented, and doesn't feel right within the 5e system, which is why I suggested giving them something like the Swashbuckler's bonus with WIS

Ethambutol
2016-12-29, 03:04 AM
Thank you kindly for the comments!

Yes it is, at 3rd level, when rogue doesn't get to cut damage in half until 5th level, so giving disadvantage in conjunction with everything else that they get from En.

To be fair the advantages of En are specifically only active when it is NOT the Samurai's turn.

I'll have to think on it, I think you're right in that Uncanny Dodge is probably the most comparable ability. It just seems messy to attribute a limit to a single part of the ability.

It's not that its more powerful, its more of that having your initiative change during combat is unprecedented, and doesn't feel right within the 5e system, which is why I suggested giving them something like the Swashbuckler's bonus with WIS

So the main problem is unprecedence? I don't personally have any qualms about introducing a new mechanic in a homebrew as long as it seems reasonable. I wanted to capture the feel of a bodyguard-esque samurai who is ready to spring into action and make the first strike when there is any sign of hostility. I suppose adding Wisdom to initiative rolls sort of does this as well. I guess it just needs to be playtested and if my new mechanic breaks the game, I'll use your suggestion as a good alternative. Thanks!