PDA

View Full Version : DM Help First Time GMing 5e

Jama7301
2016-12-26, 01:17 PM
I'm going to be running an online 5th Edition game for some friends in the near future, and I'm wondering what are some useful resources for managing my information, apart from Google Drive. I've typically run games in person, so having the books, sheets, and notes on hand was fairly easy for all to use.

I currently use Hero Labs for a few different game systems for managing character sheets and information like that, but does anyone know if the 5th edition SRD package is useful or worth picking up?
In the same vein, is Realm Works a useful tool for managing GM information, or is that handled easier by something else.

Are there any pitfalls that I should be on the look out when approaching 5e that can trip up newer GMs for this game?

Thanks for your time. :smallsmile:

Tanarii
2016-12-26, 01:20 PM
Read chapter 8 of DMG, Running the Game. It has sections on the role of dice, ability score checks, exploration and social interactions. Especially important is the ability checks part, double especially if your previous experience with the D&D skill system was third edition.

pwykersotz
2016-12-26, 04:31 PM
I have a custom GM cheat sheet that has status conditions, prices for items, and rules minutia like how long you can hold your breath and what altitude sickness does. Other that that I just use the books.

Other than what Tanarii said above, I would make sure you calibrate your expectations for what CR is in this edition and how to calculate it. The short version is that an equal CR is a pretty easy mark for a party (a 'medium' encounter) but at the same time if you go too far above the party level in CR you run a risk of one-shotting them. Using many enemies is your friend, and learning to calculate an encounter CR with multiple minions is very helpful. Eventually you'll learn to eyeball it, of course.