PDA

View Full Version : How not to roll, an exercise in reducing variance

Efrate
2016-12-26, 01:22 PM
Ok heres the idea. I am known at my table for having d20 rolls so bad that im pretty sure i create mini distortions in the space time that have a black hole affect on probability. 8 hour sessions on either side of the screen where i cannot roll above a single digit. The numbers 2 thru 7 are my rolls, not often ones or above that when it gets bad.

So, i could approach this problem in two ways; give my self bonuses high enough that it doesnt matter, or do my best to not roll that blasted d20 as much as possible. This is an exercise in the latter.

A friend of mine is atarting a FR game, lvl 1, no flaws, no eberron/dragonlance/dragon/dungeon mag, no incarnum, no psionics, no insane cheese. Tier 3/4 is where im guessing we will be, its what we shoot for.

So my plan so far is play a dragonfire adept, bfc, a bit of blast and face role. Help me make this character as d20 roll/meaningless as possible. I will be dipping binder with naerberis for take 10 on social skills and hurried diplo, etc at lvl 3. Im trying to convince my dm to let me swear to an elder evil for the mind effecting immunity feat, but hes strongly on the fence.

What other ways can i get around that cursed die that hates me? I considered a level in exemplar, but dunno if ill need it. However, TOB save replace counters and exemplar is nice.

What other ways are there to avoid rolling as many 20s as possible? I want 15 levels DFA, so i got a bit to work with and most my feats are free.

Help me to not roll d20s giant.

Doc_Maynot
2016-12-26, 01:29 PM
Maybe this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?355562-quot-Can-I-Take-10-quot-Table-of-sourcebook-examples-mentions-of-taking-10) would help you on the skills front.

Geddy2112
2016-12-26, 01:42 PM
In line with the elder evil thing, load up on as many feats/templates/class features/ items that give immunity to anything.

For example, just being undead will give you immunity to a host of things.

Jowgen
2016-12-26, 01:48 PM
That guide Doc_Maynot linked seems real nice. :smallwink:

Beyond that, the Hardened Criminal feat (CoS) lets you pick a skill to always take 10 on, amongst other things. Easiest source of custom skill-mastery. The Luck feats from CS can give you a variety of re-rolls, as can a number of items, as can the Pride domain power for nat 1's on saves.

For completeness, the Weapon Supremacy feats should be mentioned for their ability to let you take 10 on attack rolls; not that this is useful to you or that anyone ever ends up qualifying for them.

Particle_Man
2016-12-26, 01:52 PM
There's a feat in races of stone that lets you take 10 on concentration checks, FWIW.

Warlocks can take 10 on UMD checks (except, ironically, the special power at 12th level that lets them use UMD to sub. for spells to make magic items).

Doc_Maynot
2016-12-26, 01:56 PM
That guide Doc_Maynot linked seems real nice. :smallwink:

What can I say, I like the way you do what you do.

Darrin
2016-12-26, 02:14 PM
Check out the Inevitable Nightmare (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19967089&postcount=27) build.

Efrate
2016-12-26, 02:15 PM
So for save replacement counters, a level of warblade or swordsage. Thinking warblade since ill just be snagging the counters. More hp and better in combat recharge. Also does battle clarity work with action before thought? Im thinking no but its worth noting.

Also insane defiance, does the target have to be legal, and can i target myself with the charm invocation and have someone save at minus 4?