PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Oath of Treachery PC Advice

ingenuus
2016-12-26, 07:19 PM
Hey everyone,

Long time reader, but first time poster (so please be kind :smallsmile: )!

I am about to start a new campaign with friends using 5e (including Unearthed Arcana content), but set in a homebrew world. Before approaching my DM with my idea, I wanted to run it by everyone here to get your thoughts so I can present the best version of this idea since I am excited about the prospect of it.

Essentially, I want to make a Tiefling Oath of Treachery Paladin.

The idea stems from a line in the UA pdf about this Oath. Initially, Blackguard stuck out to me and I read this as "bad guy," but then, upon re-reading it, my eye was drawn to the opening line where it is mentioned that this path is followed by "paladins who have forsworn other oaths." Here is the general idea I have:

As a Tiefling growing up around a variety of races, he grew up experiencing a lot of lashing out and anger from those other races for the demon blood he carried in him. This caused him to question his own being since they were not mad at him for anything he had done, but for what he was (and decisions that were made for him before he was born). He felt anger himself towards his ancestors for making him the way he was now. He started down a better path and found some meaning when he was in his late teens and was shown that their is good in the world by an Oath of Devotion Paladin. After some time, he followed in that persons footsteps and became and OoD Paladin as well. Through being a Paladin (not a grand hero or anything, just a regular Paladin), he spent many years protecting others and working on behalf of justice. Over time, he grew to see that their life was not as perfect as he had once thought. He saw some in power over the Paladin using them for their own purposes and grew disillusioned. Hurt, again, he turned away from that path to the Oath of Treachery (depending on my DMs thoughts, I would prefer this not be a "known" thing as much as this is what he turns into if that makes sense).

He is essentially having somewhat of an existential crisis since he partially thinks that none of this matters and cannot find meaning in either himself or the path he was on. His current focus is to find that meaning, so I would work with my DM on building that into the overarching narrative.

This idea came to me this morning, so it is not fully fleshed out, but I would very much love any feedback anyone has to share.

Thanks in advance!

Ethambutol
2016-12-26, 08:41 PM
I think the Oath of Treachery is actually really interesting from a roleplaying perspective. It lends towards inter-party conflict, which I personally hate but only if you choose to allow it to do so. You don't have to be the evil Paladin that sows discord amongst the group.

I like the idea of playing the Oath of Treachery as a true anti-establishment character. You've seen what absolute authority and doctrine can do and you absolutely stand against it. You promote individual thinking and autonomy. You ask those who follow kings and Gods 'Why?'. What has your sovereign done for you and why can you not do it yourself? You don't have to antagonise those who live their life via some external authority, but maybe you pity them and endeavour to show them what they can achieve with their own merit.

Obviously don't be stupid about it. Direct confrontation with powerful authority figures will just get you killed. Subtle probing of lower ranks is much better:

"Why do you follow the King?"

"Because he protects the land and those within it."

"Does he not also enforce severe taxes that keep half the population poor and destitute? Wouldn't it be better if you could all protect yourselves rather than depend on a single man/woman?"

"...I... he has good reason to, I'm sure."

And so on... until you have a rebellion.

djreynolds
2016-12-27, 02:55 AM
I really like this idea

My only advice, is really ask the DM... "will this go 20 levels" "can bring character's back or reincarnations of them"

It seems like an exciting build and story... but you may get stuck with players do silly stuff.

Example, our warlock loves his little darkness/devil sight warlock combo... and loves to use it when I'm about to attack... Why?

The same player who turned on us in the CoS

So find a table serious about playing, I just don't want you to waste such a cool character concept and maybe keep this guy ready to go for any level, for any campaign.

ingenuus
2016-12-29, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback! This is really helpful!

Regulas
2016-12-29, 09:25 PM
I guess my main advice is to figure out what exactly your Oath of Treachery means for your character and what path you are currently following (self-made or not) that explains how you have Treachery Paladin powers.

From the sounds of it probably something like you see the evil that bonds bring (lords manipulating paladins) so you seek to break them, likely with a preference for betraying or perverting the bonds (e.g. dont just kill/arrest the lord but strike an agreement with him and use it to trap him or set him up) as a kind of karmic punishment.

As a flaw you could then have the problem of being untrusting, especially of any formal agreements, even when it is a good thing/with good people/your party as your too concerned of someone taking advantage of you again.

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 07:59 AM
I guess my main advice is to figure out what exactly your Oath of Treachery means for your character and what path you are currently following (self-made or not) that explains how you have Treachery Paladin powers.

From the sounds of it probably something like you see the evil that bonds bring (lords manipulating paladins) so you seek to break them, likely with a preference for betraying or perverting the bonds (e.g. dont just kill/arrest the lord but strike an agreement with him and use it to trap him or set him up) as a kind of karmic punishment.

As a flaw you could then have the problem of being untrusting, especially of any formal agreements, even when it is a good thing/with good people/your party as your too concerned of someone taking advantage of you again.

Along with that flaw it seems to me that you have the potential (if you so wish) to charm/will/enforce items and components from your party, the NPC's etc as it fits your RP.

ingenuus
2017-01-03, 06:38 PM
This is great too and is helping to add layers to my idea. Thanks so much for all the ideas!