PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Alchemist Grenadier; What do you guys think?

Miko_Kira
2016-12-26, 11:58 PM
Hobgoblin Grenadier
Str 10 Int 18
Dex 17 Wis 10
Con 16 Cha 7

1st: Point Blank Shot, Longbow Proficiency from Grenadier Archetype
2nd: Precise Bombs from Grenadier Archetype, Smoke Bomb
3rd: Precise Shot
4th: Stink Bomb
5th: Extra Discovery: Frost Bomb
6th: Tanglefoot Bomb
7th: Rapid Shot
8th: Fast bombs
9th: Extra Discovery: Force bomb
10th: Explosive Bombs
11th: Infusion
12th: Poison bomb
14th: Iron Will
15th: Preserve Organs
16th: Extra Discovery: Mummification

I'm figuring out the rest, but this is as far as I've gotten.

Geddy2112
2016-12-27, 10:37 AM
I question having 16 con-you are not a frontline alchemist, you have a d8HD and light armor, and alchemists have a lot of extracts that buff their defensive capabilities. I would lower it to sure up your will save-nothing is worse than turning all that bomb potential loose on your allies from failing a will save, and those will target you at any range.

I know you are going for a bomber, but that is a lot of bomb discoveries that you have. I would probably drop force unless you plan to fight a lot of ghosts-even then they can't be knocked prone and you are better off throwing more damage dice at them and taking half. Against other enemies, you can do far worse than knock them prone(entangle or stagger). Also, if you are going to have the longbow, you might want explosive missile to give your bombs a ton of range. Grab a bombchucker, it is a cheap way to give your bombs +10ft range and does not take up a hand. I would rather have frost bomb early over stink bomb, as staggered is better than sickened. Likewise, get tanglefoot bombs quicky so you can target fort or reflex with a nasty disabling effect, depending on what you are up against.

It is not required, but not getting infusion online early is kind of a pain-sure you can blow people up and be greedy with your extracts, but the class can do a lot more if you have infusion.

I personally think that mummification and preserve organs take priority over iron will. Getting a +2 to will saves is nice, but mummification is outright immunity to a lot of things. Once you are immune to nonlethal the discovery ablative barrier becomes ungodly good. Also, if your DM is a stickler for time the mummification process takes 30 days, plus 24 hours of being totally out-you wanna get this ball rolling asap in the game world if you don't expect significant downtime in the campaign.

Miko_Kira
2016-12-27, 01:26 PM
Alright, lets take your advice into consideration.

Adjusted Stats should look like this;
Str 10 Int 18
Dex 16 Wis 14
Con 14 Cha 7

Now as for adjusting my feats;

1: Point Blank Shot, Longbow Proficiency from Grenadier Archetype
2: Precise Bombs from Grenadier Archetype, Frost Bomb
3: Precise Shot
4: Tanglefoot Bomb
5: Extra Discovery: Explosive Missile
6: Infusion
7: Rapid Shot
8: Fast Bombs
9: Extra Discovery: Preserve Organs
10: Mummification
11: Extra Discovery: Explosive Bombs
12: Confusion Bomb
13: Iron Will
14: Blinding Bomb
15: Extra Discovery: Preserve Organs
16: Cursed Bomb
17: Extra Discovery: Preserve Organs
18: Force Bomb
19: Extra Bombs
20: Spontaneous Healing, Healing Touch, Awakened Intelligence

The main reason I'm interested in Force bombs is because there's always a chance you'll run into something that has resistances and/or immunities. And force damage happens to be on the list of resistances/immunities that rarely occur.

Recherché
2016-12-27, 02:33 PM
I personally adore Force bombs because almost nothing is immune to them. That said that is a lot of bombs. I'd look at maybe dropping blindness, poison and/or confusion and grabbing force bombs a lot earlier.

I also love tumor familiar especially if you grab a familiar that has hands and can force feed you extracts. Or inject you with extracts using syringe spears. It really helps with action economy and getting all your extracts up early in the fight.

Infusion should really be one of your first discoveries a lot of the time. You can only use so many extracts, but your party can use a bunch more if for no other reason than they have more actions to use them than you do.

Also how attached are you to Hobgoblin? The tiefling favored class bonus is to die for and the stats are good. From experience while you will use a good number of bombs, quality is more important than quantity. If you're using more than 6 in one battle something's gone weird. Besides having a good bow as backup lets you keep bringing the hurt.

Geddy2112
2016-12-27, 06:29 PM
I suppose force bombs are only 1 damage less per dice, and do affect just about everything. Between fire from explosive bombs, cold from frost bombs, and force that should cover your damage types.

You probably don't need that many bomb debuff effects- frost bombs give you staggered, which is a fairly nasty condition targeting fortitude that few things are immune to. Confusion bomb is probably the best for a sheer debuff, although it targets will and a lot of casters and things you want to confuse will have good will- It is much stronger than cursed or blinding as far as stopping a caster or melee brute, and possibly turns that against your enemies. You also have entangling bomb, which targets reflex and also causes casters trouble, and is a good debuff against undead, the only other one you currently have that can work against undead is cursed, but it is really not that good. The poison and stinking bombs are good for area control, but your explosive bomb is decently good against clustered targets and you can get by without them. By the time you get it, most things are not going to drop dead from cloudkill and will run out the next round after.

So with explosive, frost, force, confusion, and entangling you can deal three types of damage, and target every save with a potent debuff-this should be more than enough for bomb types since you can't stack them.

I completely forgot about tumor familiar and how freaking awesome it is! It also lets you qualify for improved familiar and unlocks even more familiar shenanigans. You could drop both the 2nd and 3rd preserve organs discoveries-while they are decent in their own right, the main reason you take the first one is for mummification.

Miko_Kira
2016-12-28, 03:34 AM
Alright, so how's this then?

1: Point Blank Shot, Longbow Proficiency from Grenadier Archetype
2: Precise Bombs from Grenadier Archetype, Frost Bomb
3: Precise Shot
4: Infusion
5: Extra Discovery: Tanglefoot Bomb
6: Explosive Bomb
7: Rapid Shot
8: Fast Bombs
9: Extra Discovery: Preserve Organs
10: Mummification
11: Extra Discovery: Force Bomb
12: Wings
13: Iron Will
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20: Spontaneous Healing, Healing Touch, True Mutagen

Also, I'm choosing my race based on the homebrew world that my GM is going to throw us in to. The only planes we can actually get to, in his world, are the shadow, ethereal and astral planes. The Astral plane is broken, in a sense. Nobody can commune with their deities, or travel to another plane, beyond the aforementioned. So unless I could convince my GM that my character happened to be the descendant of a demon/devil that got stuck on the material plane, I doubt he'll let me be a Tiefling.

Recherché
2016-12-28, 03:47 AM
Fair enough on the race. You don't really need wings as a discovery; there are a ton of extracts that can do it and in many cases do it better. I'm not overly fond of tanglefoot bombs but if you really like them then they aren't awful by any means.

Miko_Kira
2016-12-29, 01:02 AM
The wings are an extraordinary ability and can't be dispelled, or suppressed by an antimagic field.

Found that out when I had the discovery and my GM decided to throw a beholder at the group. It's not constant, but it's enough in the sense that it's useful when I need it.