PDA

View Full Version : Oerthblood and DR Adamantine?

flappeercraft
2016-12-27, 01:17 AM
So I was checking the Oerthblood material and noticed something. It says something about it being as hard as adamantine and it being similar and even gives the DR on armor that adamantine gives. But does it bypass DR x/Adamantine? It doesn't matter if RAW or RAI but does it?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-27, 01:46 AM
So I was checking the Oerthblood material and noticed something. It says something about it being as hard as adamantine and it being similar and even gives the DR on armor that adamantine gives. But does it bypass DR x/Adamantine? It doesn't matter if RAW or RAI but does it?

Not familiar with that material. Does it have the particular quality of adamantine of bypassing hardness of less than 20?

If it does, I'd probably let it bypass DR X/ adamantine. If it doesn't, I'd say it's sufficiently different from adamantine that it doesn't bypass the DR; simple as that.

zergling.exe
2016-12-27, 02:20 AM
RAW 3.5: No, Adamantine has DR x/-, meaning it cannot be mitigated in any way short of ignoring DR entirely. Don't know if Pathfinder has a different classification for it.

Technetium43
2016-12-27, 02:22 AM
RAW 3.5: No, Adamantine has DR x/-, meaning it cannot be mitigated in any way short of ignoring DR entirely. Don't know if Pathfinder has a different classification for it.

You misread it, it's not 'can it overcome the DR of adamantine armor, it's 'can it ignore DR/adamantine as if it was adamantine', which I believe the RAW answer is 'no'. However, see Kelb's post, as my thoughts on it are roughly the same.

Thurbane
2016-12-27, 02:25 AM
Dragon Magazine # 351: as written, no it does not overcome DR/adamantine. It has it's own specific effect when used for weapons (luck bonus on attack and damage rolls, inflicts a penalty on its targets saves vs. magical effects) and says nopthing about overcoming any DR.

RAI is less clear, but given it's pricing, I'd say no on that count as well.

Âmesang
2016-12-27, 12:29 PM
By reputation, it's as strong as adamantine and just as effective.
DRAGON Magazine #351, page 45. Personally I'd say that should qualify it to ignore DR/adamantine (otherwise it wouldn't be "just as effective," would it?). Especially considering an oerthblooded item has twice the price modifier of an adamantine weapon (more so for ammunition), but then it does have properties that put it above and beyond adamantine, not to mention it's an alloy, and the article does point out "oerthblooded mithral" as a possibility.

Plus it's covered in "shimmering black flecks," which is fun to paint on figurines to add a touch of uniqueness to 'em. :smallsmile: