PDA

View Full Version : Long Death Monk + fiendlock temp hp

Arcangel4774
2016-12-27, 02:55 AM
How do the two interact, if at all? Both have abilities thay grant temp hp upon reducing an enemy to 0 hp.

I know the PHB section on temp hp is almost always interpereted as multiple sources don't add, but the way it's stated suggests that this may not be the correct assumptions.

"Healing can't restore temporary hitpoints, and they can't be added together. If you have temporary hitpoints and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or gain the new ones."

My issue is the formatting and sentence structure seems to suggest that the focus is that you can't add on to or increase existing temporary hp, not that temporary hp can't be added together if they're acquired simultaneously.

ImSAMazing
2016-12-27, 03:30 AM
When you gain THP, you basically get a set of clothes that you can either put on, or throw away. You can't grab the trousers to add it to your current outfit. It doesn't stack.

Foxhound438
2016-12-27, 04:36 AM
think of it as two abilities triggering at the same time, but resolving one at a time, like in Magic the Gathering. You can choose which resolves first, and when the second resolves you can choose to keep the first or throw it out. But that's just my take on it.

Lombra
2016-12-27, 04:42 AM
Temp HP don't stack under any circumstance

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-12-27, 04:43 AM
When you gain THP, you basically get a set of clothes that you can either put on, or throw away. You can't grab the trousers to add it to your current outfit. It doesn't stack.

He's not adding to exsisting temp hp, they both have the same timing and trigger.
When you reduce a "creature within 5 feet of you"(deathmonk) / "hostile creature"(fiendlock) to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to "wis+monk" / "cha+warlock"

So one is saying put on shirt, one is saying put on pants. He's asking if he can put on a jumpsuit

Plaguescarred
2016-12-27, 05:35 AM
Considering you only have one pool of THP, simultaneously getting THP from 2 different sources means you basically have to choose which THP of the two you'll keep.

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-27, 06:58 AM
"Healing can't restore temporary hitpoints, and they can't be added together. If you have temporary hitpoints and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or gain the new ones."

Yeah, I see your argument. You don't have temp hp, so when you gain both, the choice isn't triggered. Still, the RAI seems abundantly clear.

RumoCrytuf
2016-12-27, 07:20 AM
How do the two interact, if at all? Both have abilities thay grant temp hp upon reducing an enemy to 0 hp.

I know the PHB section on temp hp is almost always interpereted as multiple sources don't add, but the way it's stated suggests that this may not be the correct assumptions.

My issue is the formatting and sentence structure seems to suggest that the focus is that you can't add on to or increase existing temporary hp, not that temporary hp can't be added together if they're acquired simultaneously.

This looks fairly straightforward. Both abilities trigger, and you choose whichever set of THP you want. But you can't have both.

Starman973
2016-12-27, 10:17 AM
If you are one of these classes and you want more HP temp or otherwise to add to your buffer of not being dead, I have something to offer you. Gulthias Staff. The downside of this magic weapon is it make you take wisdom checks or risk madness but both of those classes are strong in wisdom department. It's vampiric strikes give you back regular HP based on the damage dealt. SO mid fight you're doing good damage and no one is dead yet, you're healing. You kill some minions you gain both temp HP and regular HP. you'd become a tank.

lonewulf
2016-12-27, 11:09 AM
If you are one of these classes and you want more HP temp or otherwise to add to your buffer of not being dead, I have something to offer you. Gulthias Staff. The downside of this magic weapon is it make you take wisdom checks or risk madness but both of those classes are strong in wisdom department. It's vampiric strikes give you back regular HP based on the damage dealt. SO mid fight you're doing good damage and no one is dead yet, you're healing. You kill some minions you gain both temp HP and regular HP. you'd become a tank.

Is it Wis checks or Wis saves?

And regardless of which, I would def take the Lucky feat if going after this amazing-sounding weapon that I want right this second.

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 12:06 PM
This looks fairly straightforward. Both abilities trigger, and you choose whichever set of THP you want. But you can't have both.

This is true and also from my experience as a WOTLD Monk, the Temp HP doesnt stack, for example if I get 7 Temp HP per hostile I kill, I then lose 2 HP from an attack and then I kill another creature, I go back to 7 Temp HP not 9.