PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creation of a TechnoDecker in Shadowrun 5e..... Would that work well?

ZealousObject
2016-12-27, 04:29 AM
Hello everyone and welcome to my first post for I simply ask, whatever I said in the title.

This thread post is just character idea being thrown around along with figuring out it can be done adequately in game. A TechnoDecker was the first idea that came to my head when creating a character and seeing how I still don't have the full grasp of 5e character creation I wanted to actually talk....type to some people who actually know what the hell they are doing before going through the arduous process of it all.

My basic idea being a character who is paranoid that anyone will find out that he is a Technomancer he tries to cover it up through decking / possible protection with mid-ranking corp manager, the exchange being routine test (that are obviously aren't too intrusive) for protection. Regarding personality, he would be more high strung and as said paranoid, such as his abode being coverd in security cameras (both inside and out (possibly even along block)) as to warn him to any funny business happening on his block.

Thank you all for looking at my post, sorry if it's a bit light and all, I just want some other's input on it to see if it would/be fun.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-12-27, 07:18 AM
In practice, I think that stretches your chargen resources too far. As an archetype, Technomancers are already spread rather thin, and money is one of the few areas they can afford to leave low, making trying to combine one with the single most expensive archetype in the game rather a tall order.

That being said, given that there is significant skill overlap between Technomancers and Deckers, so if you can overcome the price barrier it's much less of a problem. But I really don't recommend trying to do so at chargen when your already difficult core competencies are on the line.

The Random NPC
2017-01-01, 02:01 PM
Are you trying to hide your Technomancer status with plausible deniability? Or do you actually want to be a good Decker? Like TheTeaMustFlow said, being a good Decker would spread your resources a bit thin, even just buying a deck for plausible deniability is going to hurt. That being said, you can still do it. You can't use any Resonance abilities while using a Deck, and you have to deal with Overwatch Scores and Noise, but that might be a good trade off for you. Just be aware that you'll likely be lagging behind your party if you try to upgrade them both at the same time.

Also welcome to the forum!

Laughingmanlol
2017-01-01, 02:42 PM
One somewhat convoluted method is to not bother giving the technomancer any skills in cybercombat or hacking, and instead run a high-end agent program on the cyberdeck (perhaps using Restricted Gear Access to get a rating 6 one), while having a high-level machine sprite run diagnostics on the cyberdeck to give the agent an additional bonus. The technomancer can then have more of a supporting role by using Leadership for a further bonus or complex forms to achieve results that aren't possible for the agent, such as the illusion or puppeteer ones. Leadership is pretty versatile, even for helping allies in combat, and might fit well with the corporate theme (http://m.imgur.com/gallery/iJD8f).

ZealousObject
2017-01-03, 09:48 PM
Are you trying to hide your Technomancer status with plausible deniability? Or do you actually want to be a good Decker?

I'm thinking more of a passable decker, capable of doing most low level things to pass off as just being slightly ****e. Being a Decker is as you said basically a way for him to deny him being a technomancer (He believes in the crazy **** they do to captured Technomancers and more or less trys his damnedest to hide it from anyone outside of an inner circle of select individuals he knows won't F him over)

One somewhat convoluted method is to not bother giving the technomancer any skills in cybercombat or hacking, and instead run a high-end agent program on the cyberdeck (perhaps using Restricted Gear Access to get a rating 6 one), while having a high-level machine sprite run diagnostics on the cyberdeck to give the agent an additional bonus. The technomancer can then have more of a supporting role by using Leadership for a further bonus or complex forms to achieve results that aren't possible for the agent, such as the illusion or puppeteer ones. Leadership is pretty versatile, even for helping allies in combat, and might fit well with the corporate theme.

I first would like to thank you Laughing for showing me that excellent greentext (I give it 10/10) and I see our TechnoDecker as a slightly less inept version of this guy, instead of auto installing adobe and walking away (even though it works) he actually has some knowledge and can do both basic maitnance and understands software enough to know some holes in them.