PDA

View Full Version : RIP Carrie Fisher

dancrilis
2016-12-27, 01:31 PM
Well Carrie Fisher has died, best to her and her family.

Perhaps morbidly I have to wonder if Princess Leia will live on as CGI for the rest of the Star Wars movies.

razorback
2016-12-27, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I just read this, too.
I don't know what it means for Episodes 8+.
Godspeed, Princess.

FinnLassie
2016-12-27, 01:42 PM
Rest in peace, General.

Really hope they don't make a cgi character.
barely worked in rogue one with Tarkin. it was actually kinda creepy. yeah. it was creepy. I don't want that for Leia, I don't want them to take that risk.

Millstone85
2016-12-27, 01:54 PM
I saw Rogue One yesterday.
Learning about Carrie Fisher's hospitalization right after felt so strange.
And now she is dead. :smallfrown:

Grand Arbiter
2016-12-27, 01:58 PM
A terrible loss for the whole world.

Prayers and goodwill to her and her family.

HandofShadows
2016-12-27, 01:59 PM
Lost a lot of good and talented people this year. R.I.P. Carrie Fisher. :smallfrown:

Inspector Valin
2016-12-27, 02:05 PM
2016 just doesn't know when to quit.

Godspeed, and a brighter future, good lady. You will be missed

Blackhawk748
2016-12-27, 02:17 PM
2016 just doesn't know when to quit.

Godspeed, and a brighter future, good lady. You will be missed

Agreed, you took enough people 2016. Couldn't you just go quietly.

May she RIP and i hope her family is ok.

Razade
2016-12-27, 02:28 PM
barely worked in rogue one with Tarkin. it was actually kinda creepy. yeah. it was creepy. I don't want that for Leia, I don't want them to take that risk.

I thought Tarkin looked fine honestly. I just hope they don't use CGI because...she just passed away.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2016-12-27, 02:30 PM
she was the jedi I loved most...

Even as a child and teen my image of a bad ass jedi was her in the jabba bikini with the blue light saber luke lost at bespin when I fantasied about the idea of a jedi...

pendell
2016-12-27, 02:35 PM
Leia, the character, really did use a lightsaber in Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy and did pretty well.

Leia is immortal. Alas, Carrie Fisher was not :smalleek:. I hope she rests in peace. 60? That is way too young. And she was supposed to be doing her best to live healthy, too.

Sadly,

Brian P.

JoshL
2016-12-27, 02:41 PM
RIP. I'm glad that we got to see her as Leia one more time. And I hope that in future movies, they recast the part rather than the digital reconstruction they did in Rogue One, or even worse, killing her off-screen.

Echoing sentiments, 60 is way too young.

Avilan the Grey
2016-12-27, 02:46 PM
F**k you, 2016.

Also, Rest in peace and May the force be with you.
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F2012 %2F05%2F12%2Farticle-2143371-130DC24C000005DC-663_964x626.jpg&f=1

Ranxerox
2016-12-27, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I just read this, too.
Godspeed, Princess.

Apparently, filming is already complete on Episode 8. So her passing will making seeing her on the screen a bitter sweet experience, but otherwise shouldn't effect the movie

Bartmanhomer
2016-12-27, 02:59 PM
What?! Are you serious?! Leia died?! Oh no I guess that means there's not going to be an Episode 8. May the force be with you. RIP Leia. :frown:

Velaryon
2016-12-27, 03:22 PM
Really sorry to hear this. I was hoping she would pull through. RIP Carrie Fisher. :smallfrown:

RIP. I'm glad that we got to see her as Leia one more time. And I hope that in future movies, they recast the part rather than the digital reconstruction they did in Rogue One, or even worse, killing her off-screen.

Echoing sentiments, 60 is way too young.

Personally, I feel the opposite. If Carrie Fisher can't play the role, I'd rather Leia not appear at all. They can either kill her off or just have her doing other things off-screen, but I absolutely would not like to see the role recast.

Apparently, filming is already complete on Episode 8. So her passing will making seeing her on the screen a bitter sweet experience, but otherwise shouldn't effect the movie

If that's true then I'm glad she will have one last role. Hopefully they do the classy thing and dedicate the film in her memory.

Ruslan
2016-12-27, 04:02 PM
Not that it makes anything better, but she did finish filming her part for Episode VIII. We will get to see her one last time.

Kato
2016-12-27, 04:47 PM
2016, you had to take one more, hm? Screw you, Bastard year.

RIP, Mrs Fisher. I wish her family will bear the next days as well as possible.

Though, I do have to say... It's kind of sad she'll only be remembered as one character it seems. :smallfrown:

gooddragon1
2016-12-27, 05:11 PM
2016, you had to take one more, hm? Screw you, Bastard year.

RIP, Mrs Fisher. I wish her family will bear the next days as well as possible.

Though, I do have to say... It's kind of sad she'll only be remembered as one character it seems. :smallfrown:

A parting shot as it were...

I think they did have a cgi shot of Leia in Rouge* One. It worked well enough I think.

*hee hee hee

Razade
2016-12-27, 05:32 PM
It's been confirmed that Fisher's role in Episode 8 had finished filming so no CGI of her. It'll be her last film role as well.

pendell
2016-12-27, 06:12 PM
It's been confirmed that Fisher's role in Episode 8 had finished filming so no CGI of her. It'll be her last film role as well.

There's a certain irony to that; According to her IMDB filmogaphy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000402/) Star Wars was the first movie she ever starred in. She had a bit role in Shampoo before that, and before that she was a girl scout in "Debbie Reynolds and the sound of children".

So it's plausible to say that a Star Wars role was both the beginning and the end of her acting career.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-12-27, 08:10 PM
Leia is immortal. Alas, Carrie Fisher was not. I hope she rests in peace. 60? That is way too young. And she was supposed to be doing her best to live healthy, too.

The problem with that is the decades of drug and alcohol abuse beforehand. I have to admit, I'm kind of surprised she made it to 60.

Razade
2016-12-27, 09:15 PM
There's a certain irony to that; According to her IMDB filmogaphy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000402/) Star Wars was the first movie she ever starred in. She had a bit role in Shampoo before that, and before that she was a girl scout in "Debbie Reynolds and the sound of children".

So it's plausible to say that a Star Wars role was both the beginning and the end of her acting career.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

That's not irony. Not a certain irony, not irony at all. The word you're looking for is fortuitous. Or providential. Incidental. Coincidental. Any of those would work. How is it ironic that the last movie she starred in would be a Star Wars film since she's acted in most of them?

A waffle,

Razade

KillingAScarab
2016-12-27, 09:21 PM
Though, I do have to say... It's kind of sad she'll only be remembered as one character it seems. :smallfrown:I believe I know the one you mean.

http://oneguyrambling.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/10125.jpg (http://oneguyrambling.com/?p=2796)

If it hadn't been for the tall tale genre conventions, she would have gotten that Jake Blues, too.

Lemmy
2016-12-27, 10:59 PM
I don't usually care much about celebrity deaths... But between Bowie, Alan Rickman and Carrie Fisher, 2016 has been relentless!

Good bye, Ms. Fisher. You'll be remembered.

Cikomyr
2016-12-27, 11:31 PM
That's not irony. Not a certain irony, not irony at all. The word you're looking for is fortuitous. Or providential. Incidental. Coincidental. Any of those would work. How is it ironic that the last movie she starred in would be a Star Wars film since she's acted in most of them?

A waffle,

Razade

Thats called Book Ends.

Ends as you started

Callos_DeTerran
2016-12-27, 11:43 PM
May the Force be with you, Princess...

To be fair, Tarkin is supposed to be creepy and off-putting so the CGI Tarkin kinda worked for me.

Cikomyr
2016-12-28, 12:21 AM
I... Wont mind a Special Edition Rogue One once they have mastered CGI for recreating people.

But they shouldnt start abusing the technique just because the actor kicked the bucket. Have Leia die offscreen, make it impactful. Spock's death in Star Trek Beyond was perfectly handled as a response to Nimoy's death.

Spanish_Paladin
2016-12-28, 01:49 PM
Through Leia, Carrie Fisher teach us that a princess needs no rescue (Leia virtually rescue her rescuers from themselves), that she can be a warrior and a leader, without givinig up her feminity and kindness. I think i like strong and independent women in part for that character and that true love is only between equals.

Thanks Carrie, May the force be with you. :smallfrown:

Antonok
2016-12-28, 09:22 PM
Little more bad news, seems Carrie Fisher's mother Debbie Reynolds died today. (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/debbie-reynolds-dead-dies-carrie-fisher-mother-1201949432/) Sa, sad time for that family.

Blackhawk748
2016-12-28, 10:38 PM
Little more bad news, seems Carrie Fisher's mother Debbie Reynolds died today. (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/debbie-reynolds-dead-dies-carrie-fisher-mother-1201949432/) Sa, sad time for that family.

For ****s sake will you just stop 2016. Im gonna turn you into a physical being and then go all Goku on your celebrity killing rear end!

Yuki Akuma
2016-12-28, 10:41 PM
She drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra.

This isn't a joke, it's a thing she wanted people to say when she died.

Dragonexx
2016-12-28, 10:54 PM
For ****s sake will you just stop 2016. Im gonna turn you into a physical being and then go all Goku on your celebrity killing rear end!

It's not going down without a fight...

Rogar Demonblud
2016-12-28, 11:44 PM
Alright, I move we all just go to bed, pull the covers over our heads and stay there until next year. Can I get a second?

Porthos
2016-12-29, 12:07 AM
Alright, I move we all just go to bed, pull the covers over our heads and stay there until next year. Can I get a second?

When George RR Martin says "enough", you know a year has gone too far. (http://grrm.livejournal.com/514263.html)

Avilan the Grey
2016-12-29, 12:51 AM
Through Leia, Carrie Fisher teach us that a princess needs no rescue (Leia virtually rescue her rescuers from themselves), that she can be a warrior and a leader, without givinig up her feminity and kindness. I think i like strong and independent women in part for that character and that true love is only between equals.

Thanks Carrie, May the force be with you. :smallfrown:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F564x%2Fc7%2F64%2F6b%2Fc7646b5ddd8 e498790c502852150d1ef.jpg&f=1

gooddragon1
2016-12-29, 12:58 AM
It's not going down without a fight...

I'm reminded of all the instances in shows where they show that death's job isn't easy.

Âmesang
2016-12-29, 12:58 AM
I believe I know the one you mean.

If it hadn't been for the tall tale genre conventions, she would have gotten that Jake Blues, too.
I figured she had unfinished business with him; forget the blasters, "Mystery Woman" had a bazooka! :smallbiggrin:

Legato Endless
2016-12-29, 03:39 AM

It's taken too much blood for me to let it leave amicably.

2016, I'm going to dance on your grave this weekend.

HandofShadows
2016-12-29, 08:01 AM
More bad news. My condolances to the family.

Hate to say it, but with <politics> the next years may be worse than this one. :smalleek:

pendell
2016-12-29, 09:35 AM
More bad news. My condolances to the family.

Hate to say it, but with <politics> the next years may be worse than this one. :smalleek:

All the more reason for us to spread as many random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty as possible. Note my signature.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ramza00
2016-12-29, 09:54 AM
The problem with that is the decades of drug and alcohol abuse beforehand. I have to admit, I'm kind of surprised she made it to 60.

If you are not familiar with it Carrie Fisher in the 2000s announced that she was bipolar and became a big advocate for reducing stigma around Bipolar and other Mental Health Issues. Yes Carrie Fisher did have a big drug addiction problem from the 80s onward, but part of this was trying to self medicate her bipolar before finding out and getting diagnosed for the underlying mental health issue. Furthermore when you are in the manic stage of bipolar your impulse control is severely reduced due to the mania.

As much as I love Carrie Fisher due to the movies, arguably her works on mental health stigma is more important for society, even though the movies get far more attention.

Mato
2016-12-30, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen Rogue One yet but everyone keeps spoiling it and telling me the last survivor of Alderaan dies. Could they have at least waited another couple of months? :smallfrown:

Cikomyr
2016-12-30, 04:03 PM
I haven't seen Rogue One yet but everyone keeps spoiling it and telling me the last survivor of Alderaan dies. Could they have at least waited another couple of months? :smallfrown:

What..?

Alderaan isnt destroyed in Rogue One.

Avilan the Grey
2016-12-30, 04:29 PM
What..?

On the other hand, Carrie is dead, so...

Legato Endless
2016-12-30, 04:30 PM
What..?

No, he's referring to Leia as the last survivor of Alderaan.

hamishspence
2016-12-30, 04:41 PM
In the context of the newcanon - she's one of many - despite the Empire attempting to kill all Alderaanian survivors afterward (Princess Leia comic).

Aotrs Commander
2016-12-30, 04:49 PM
In the context of the newcanon - she's one of many - despite the Empire attempting to kill all Alderaanian survivors afterward (Princess Leia comic).

And the old EU, too. (For example, Tycho Celchu.) Not sure where the idea Leia was the last of Aldraanians came from, actually...

Mato
2016-12-30, 05:56 PM
And the old EU, too. (For example, Tycho Celchu.) Not sure where the idea Leia was the last of Aldraanians came from, actually...Reddit joke.

Apparently she had a very good sense of humor so they started joking about her (in a good way). Wikipedia says her style was self-depreciation and I couldn't go that far.

Aotrs Commander
2016-12-30, 06:40 PM
Reddit joke.

Apparently she had a very good sense of humor so they started joking about her (in a good way). Wikipedia says her style was self-depreciation and I couldn't go that far.

Ah. I'll just slink back into my corner now...!

Phearnun
2016-12-30, 07:13 PM
2016 does not pull any punches, even so close to New Years.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-30, 08:48 PM
2016 does not pull any punches, even so close to New Years.@Gary_theDog better watch out.

Emmerlaus
2016-12-31, 07:28 PM
Carrie Fisher was a great woman. I hope shes one with the Force now...

http://2static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Still+to+soon+just+wanted+to+say+thanks+to+everyon e_4373db_6132312.jpg

goatmeal
2017-01-01, 11:59 AM
I guess I should start by saying the only picture in my office that isn’t of a family member is a movie poster for A New Hope. I tell people that the only thing people my age can agree on is Star Wars. Star Wars was nerdy, and OK to like before liking nerdy things was OK. The release of The Empire Strikes Back and the Return of the Jedi were widely anticipated for years until those magical summers came and the trailers showed up on TV and then the fever pitch of anticipation lasted until summer birthday parties where we could finally see the latest installment. There were other fun movies of my childhood, but only one that was serialized and made us wait years to see what happened to Han Solo’s frozen body and Luke Skywalker’s severed hand. Star Wars was a universal panacea in a time of latchkey children afraid of the bomb; a time when so many other things we might enjoy were demonized.

And then there was Princess Leia. She was different from every other female character in a movie that I had any interest in watching as a child. Pre-adolescence, her long white dress made her seem somehow safer than the random mini-skirted alien that Captain Kirk was pursuing, or the chainmail bikinied bimbos standing behind the evil overlord’s throne on some Conan-esque B movie. And the way she acted was more similar to how my female peers acted: she was obnoxious and she talked back. To the extent that pre-adolescent boys were interested in anything about females, it was largely someone to squabble with the way Princess Leia squabbled with Han. There was nothing inaccessibly adult about the way she portrayed herself in the movie. Perhaps I should just say nothing fake, the way females in every other movie I had an interest in at that time were portrayed.

But who cares about that, the real story about Princess Leia isn’t about me or any other middle aged guy who grew up loving Star Wars. It’s about our little sisters looking over our shoulders. My little sister. Of all the fantasy/sci-fi things I was interested in as a child (and my little sister was looking over my shoulder for all of them) the ones that really caught her attention were Princess Leia and Savah from ElfQuest. When she was probably about 4 years old, she’d steal my brother’s belt and put it over a white nightgown her grandmother gave her to become Princess Leia. My brother and I and whatever friend we might have had over were infuriated by this, because no, your little sister can’t be Princess Leia. I’m sure it was hard for my sister growing up with two big brothers who didn’t want her around. And in a household where we weren’t allowed to watch Wonder Woman because it was too feminist, I’m glad that my sister got to have such a role model.