PDA

View Full Version : Can a Hellbred be evil?

Efrate
2016-12-27, 02:10 PM
Topic. The fluff strongly seems to say they cannot be, something sees something worth redeeming and gives them a chance to earn their way out of their near immutable fate. Being a free willing being, if supposedly predispositioned to good, can they still be evil?

I have a character concept that is a Hellbred who is some kind of evil and sworn to an elder evil to attempt to escape their fate as a slave to devils for a possibly better spot when an elder evil comes to power. Not sure which one yet looking through the book, but I like the idea of a pulling a fast one on the ones who likely pulled a fast one on them.

What would this alignment be? NE? LE? CE? I'm thinking LE because of dedication, but I can see arguments for any of the 3. Also LE plays nicer in a mixed party because I am at least trustworthy.

Inevitability
2016-12-27, 02:34 PM
Hellbred are free beings, and can therefore always be evil. It's not something like dragonborn where becoming evil causes your skin to boil away either.

As for the second question; that'll obviously depend on the elder evil in question. Which one will you be worshipping?

Troacctid
2016-12-27, 03:03 PM
They can turn evil, but if they've always been evil and never even bothered to try and repent, they're probably not going to get reborn as a hellbred in the first place.

OldTrees1
2016-12-27, 03:17 PM
Yes, a Hellbred can be evil, but this is part of what the devils count on. The Hellbred is soulbound by contract to Hell. Their only escape from Hell is to prove their worth to the lords of good. So unless the Elder Evil grants immortality(oblivion would work too), the Hellbred will wind up in Hell.

Most hellbred are truly damned, despite their best efforts. While they sought repentance, they asked for it too late. Only the most epic of heroic acts can release them from their bond to Hell. Thus, a hellbred embarks on one seemingly doomed or impossible quest after another. A hellbred must prove his worth to the lords of good, but the laws encoded in the Pact Primeval ensure that only the most exceptional hellbred ascend to the celestial planes. Most still end up in Hell, where devils await to extract a hideous price for their daring.

Inevitability
2016-12-27, 03:18 PM
They can turn evil, but if they've always been evil and never even bothered to try and repent, they're probably not going to get reborn as a hellbred in the first place.

Helms of Opposite Alignment and other means of magical alignment change are at least one way in which a hellbred could easily end up back amongst the ventrally positioned alignments.

Bad Wolf
2016-12-27, 03:29 PM
The sample Hellfire Warlock is a NE Hellbred.