PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Should I do this?

Freed
2016-12-27, 04:49 PM
So, for my campaign, my PCs have gathered an army, who will go mysteriously missing days before the big battle. They have been taken by a dragon, who wants to keep the humans as pets and protect them from the coming bloodshed. I was planning on him being an ancient black dragon, because I wanted them to be to intimidated enough to not just decide to attack him before talking to him, but I don't want to railroad them into solving it peacefully if they don't want to. So I have three options:
1. Probably solved by RP: Keep as is, Players might die by Dragon.
2. Probably solved by combat: Change the Dragon to a young dragon, and likely watch as the players attack and/or kill him. (Or annoy him away, long story.)
3. (Current Favorite.) Can be solved by both: Keep as is, but give this Dragon a weakness, like change him to a purple dragon and have them be able to lure him into the sun, but keep him as an intimidating creature.
Party is 5 people 4-5, a DMPC/NPC (needed a healer who wasn't in jail for a few fights, and he stuck around.) level 4, A player level 11 (Don't ask) and a level 11 NPC (Possibly a player in the future.)
What do you guys think?

Vitruviansquid
2016-12-27, 04:59 PM
In the first place how does a dragon abduct an army? Did it have a very big net?

Freed
2016-12-27, 05:08 PM
In the first place how does a dragon abduct an army? Did it have a very big net?
The dragon picked up their houses one by one and flew them to the dragon's layer. Its very big net had a hole that day. It was a very quiet dragon.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-27, 05:20 PM
Three is good. It's always fun to have as many options as possible, and the players will feel great if they pull off something like that.

Freed
2016-12-28, 12:51 PM
To clarify: I'm asking which approach you guys think I should use.

Mastikator
2016-12-28, 01:11 PM
Can you clarify what's so special about purple dragons and their relation to the sun? Are they trolls that turn into stone or something?

JeenLeen
2016-12-28, 01:20 PM
I'd say option #3, since that gives the players the most options. Also, gives an extra route should the players not realize one option is a viable option. (I'm assuming knowing 'purple dragon' would make them think they can exploit the weakness.) Having RP or combat both be viable solutions sounds fun.

Freed
2016-12-28, 02:05 PM
Can you clarify what's so special about purple dragons and their relation to the sun? Are they trolls that turn into stone or something?

In 4e, ancient purple dragons take about 318 damage per turn in the sun.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-28, 03:04 PM
Have the dragon instead have an artifact or magic item that allows them to more or less use a long term Suggestion on any creature of 3HD or less. Everything else is immune so the players are immune but the bulk of the army isn't.

The few who resisted are hiding and tell the players what happened and where they went.

I would go for the young black dragon who got ahold of a magic item way above his pay grade.

Freed
2016-12-28, 03:22 PM
Have the dragon instead have an artifact or magic item that allows them to more or less use a long term Suggestion on any creature of 3HD or less. Everything else is immune so the players are immune but the bulk of the army isn't.

The few who resisted are hiding and tell the players what happened and where they went.

I would go for the young black dragon who got ahold of a magic item way above his pay grade.
I play 4e, what would 3HD translate to?

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-28, 03:48 PM

Whatever the hit point total of a gnoll would be I guess?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-28, 07:37 PM
~level 3? Whatever an average soldier is.

Tzonarin
2016-12-29, 12:34 AM
I like Option #3 with a high deference to Option #1. Anytime you can bring more RP in the game, the better the game. Not sure about introducing the Purple in the game, but that might be an interesting angle - but I would probably save a creature like that for later on in the characters' lives.

Tzo

Freed
2016-12-29, 12:41 AM
I like Option #3 with a high deference to Option #1. Anytime you can bring more RP in the game, the better the game. Not sure about introducing the Purple in the game, but that might be an interesting angle - but I would probably save a creature like that for later on in the characters' lives.

Tzo
It doesn't have to be a purple. If you have better ideas I'd love to hear 'em.

Tzonarin
2016-12-29, 01:21 AM
It doesn't have to be a purple. If you have better ideas I'd love to hear 'em.

Juvenile or Young Adult might make the dragon more of a harrowing thing. PC's COULD attack, but at great peril, but if they roll well, they could overcome it - maybe. Ancient is way overwhelming. Young might be a little to underpowered to do what it wants to do.

I never like railroading or breadcrumbing players, but sometimes, it's either that, or the PC's end up out of bounds. But let's see what your players do - one of the fun parts of being a DM.

Tzo