PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.X] Favored Soul/Hexer

Thurbane
2016-12-27, 05:39 PM
I think I've found a new (?) way to get Favored Soul into the Hexer PrC (which I think is well worth it for full BAB and 5 Sor/Wiz spells added to your spells known).

Previously only ways I could think of was with either an ACF in Dragon Magic that only kicked in at level 12; or the Dragon Legacy feat (RotD) that had four Draconic feats as a req.

I recently found about about the spell Dragonblood Spell Pact (DoF), that allows any two dragon blooded creatures to freely swap spells known of the same level.

This would mean a FS could swap, say, Cure Serious Wounds for Lightning Bolt from a Sorcerer.

...that still leaves the skill and racial reqs for Hexer.

Requirements
Alignment: Any nongood
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks , Spellcraft 8 ranks , Wilderness Lore 10 ranks
Race/Type: Monstrous humanoid, giant, goblinoid, or other primitive humanoid, such as orc or gnoll.
Spellcasting: Able to cast lightning bolt as a divine spell.
Ruathar can help with skills. For race, I'm struggling to think of a dragonblooded race that would qualify. I don't think Kobolds count as "primitive"? Sunscorch Hobgoblins would be good, if not for LA +1. Maybe just an eligible race with the Dragontouched feat.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Cheers - T.

Troacctid
2016-12-27, 05:50 PM
It's really easy to get dragonblood. Besides all the options that are available to any character (dragonborn, Dragontouched, draconic, etc.), the Favored of Bahamut/Tiamat ACF just straight-up gives you the dragonblood subtype.

As for skills, I just updated my spellcasting prestige class spreadsheet to be filterable by class skills. Here are favored soul prestige classes that advance casting at 1st level and grant Survival as a class skill without requiring you to already have ranks in it:

PrC
Source

Aberrant Paragon
D332

Agent Retriever
EL (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/agentRetriever.htm)

Bane of Infidels
MW

Battlepriest of Cormyr
D307

Divine Disciple
PG

Earthshaker
D314

Elemental Archon
FP

Faith Scion
UA (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm#theFaithScion)

Gray Sage
D298

Harper Priest
Mag

Hathran
PG

Moonspeaker
RE

Moonstar Agent
CSW

Ruathar
RW

Sentinel of Bharrai
BE

Serpent Slayer
SK

Singer of Concordance
RDr

Skypledged
RW

Stormlord
CD

Sword Dancer
FP

Talontar Blightlord
Una

Thrall of Demogorgon
BV/D357

Zhentarim Skymage
LD

dysprosium
2016-12-28, 04:41 PM
An alternative for getting Survival as a class skill would be the Apprentice feat from DMG II. Taking the woodsman as your choice nets you Knowledge (nature) and Survival as class skills. The downside is that it can only be taken at 1st level.

If you didn't want to go with the Favored of Bahamut/Tiamat ACF, frostblood orcs and frostblood half orcs would qualify.

A neanderthal from the Frostburn book would qualify as a primitive humanoid. You would need that ACF though.

Pyromancer999
2016-12-28, 05:03 PM
Favored Souls of Bahamut/Tiamat get the Dragontouched feat automatically, so you don't need to worry about your race being Dragonblooded.

Otherwise, there are Sunscorch Hobgoblins, Frostblood Orcs, and Viletooth Lizardfolk(?).

Thurbane
2016-12-28, 05:58 PM
Honestly I'm just stoked to find a FS entry to Hexer that doesn't require a bucketload of feats or waiting until after 12 levels of FS.

I'm very fond of FS as a concept, but they're one of those classes that benefits greatly from PrCing out ASAP.

Archivist is another sweet entry into Hexer as well.

Troacctid
2016-12-28, 06:03 PM
Arcane Disciple Cleric is usually the easiest because you don't need any shenanigans. You just get lightning bolt naturally at level 7.

Thurbane
2016-12-28, 06:13 PM
Arcane Disciple Cleric is usually the easiest because you don't need any shenanigans. You just get lightning bolt naturally at level 7.

I've seen this variant mentioned before - where can I find it?

Troacctid
2016-12-28, 06:16 PM
It's in Dragon #311, page 49.