PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft D20 rpg

Costantinov
2007-07-17, 04:55 PM
Before i create this thread, i really don't know if any thread with the same subject has been before, if it did, then you can lock, delete ect.

Well, let's go to the topic now:

I have been a Warcraft fan, and i just love the story, so i found some books of Warcraft rpg, using the same system of D&D (like Forgoten realms). I have been reading them, and i must admit it would be quite interesting making a game based on the relatives books (I have readed the main book, monster's manual and Horde and alliance compenduim).

I'd like some opinions though, what do you think about it?

Raltar
2007-07-17, 05:01 PM
I play WoW, but I've always kind of wanted to play the pnp Warcraft RPG, but I still don't have any of the books. From what I can gather online, there is a lot of backstory in the RPG books.

Zherog
2007-07-17, 05:03 PM
Disclaimer: I've worked on some of the products, so I'm most definitely biased

I like the system, quite a bit. Mechanically, there's quite a few things I really like. I like the rewrite of the druid. I like the way they developed optional racial levels rather than assigning a level adjustment. I like the magic system.

From a flavor perspective, I think the world is fairly robust. I play WoW, but never played Warcraft 1, 2, or 3. So seeing a timeline and getting a summary of events was really useful for bringing the world to life for me.

I would be careful of mixing World of Warcraft RPG with regular D&D stuff, though. The WoW RPG is meant as a stand-alone d20 product; it's not really designed to be dropped into a D&D game. There's certainly things you could import into WoW from D&D books (or, conversely, there's plenty of things to export from WoW into a D&D game). Just be careful about it, and think about the implications. For example, I don't think there's much of a problem with taking the majority of the critters from the WoW Monster Guide and using them in a D&D game; I also don't think there's much of a problem with taking most of the monsters in MM3 or MM4 (for example), and using them in a WoW game. But there are some critters (dragons come to mind) that are very different in the two systems. So if you plan to move stuff back and forth, you'll need to be careful.

Zherog
2007-07-17, 05:08 PM
I play WoW, but I've always kind of wanted to play the pnp Warcraft RPG, but I still don't have any of the books. From what I can gather online, there is a lot of backstory in the RPG books.

Be careful - there's two products. There's Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game (http://www.amazon.com/Warcraft-Roleplaying-Game-Arthaus/dp/1588460711/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-0222883-4039841?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184710209&sr=8-2) which came out in 2003. It uses 3.0 rules, and isn't very smooth in its execution of the game. It's my understanding that the game is based largely on the three older games.

World of Warcraft: the Roleplaying Game (http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Roleplaying-Game-d20/dp/1588467813/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-0222883-4039841?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184710209&sr=8-1) was released in 2005. It did a few things. First, it updated to the 3.5 rules, and in doing so rewrote a lot of stuff. There was enough rewriting, in fact, that some of the material released for the previous system isn't compatible. This version also was clearly based on the MMORPG - the classes, races, equipment, and so on.

Anyway - just wanted to point that out, just in case you weren't aware.