PDA

View Full Version : Scout questions

Aurion
2007-07-17, 05:13 PM
In preparation for a character dieing in my current campaign, I decided that I was going to make a scout who specializes in either throwing weapons or bows, but I've run into the problem of multiple attack in a round with skirmish. Originally, I was going to have the character duel wield throwing weapons, but in order to attack with both weapons, she would need to use a full attack action, which means I couldn't move and gain the skirmish bonus. I encountered the same issue with many-shot on an archer scout. Is there a feat that I'm skipping over or just something I'm missing in general which will allow me to use either many-shot or a full attack action with my skirmish so I can apply it to all of those attacks, or am I just SOL?

Jasdoif
2007-07-17, 05:18 PM
Manyshot is a standard action, not a full-round action. You can move, then Manyshot.

You'll want greater manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) to get your skirmish damage on each arrow, though.

Aurion
2007-07-17, 05:40 PM
I knew about greater manyshot.... but I could have sworn it was a full round action. Hmmm... but is there anyway to use skirmish with multiple throwing weapons?

The_Snark
2007-07-17, 05:57 PM
A single level of Master Thrower can get you the Doubletoss ability, which lets you attack with two thrown weapons as a standard action. It has a range limit of 30 feet, but then, so does Skirmish. It'll require three feats (but gives you Quick Draw for free at 1st level, essential for most throwers), base attack bonus +5, and a few ranks in Sleight of Hand.

Townopolis
2007-07-17, 06:05 PM
I guess you could take Dual Strike (idk where that's from), it lets you attack once with each weapon as a standard action. I'd advise just taking manyshot and a bow.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-07-17, 06:25 PM
Rapid shot is a full-round: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#rapidShot so that may be your problem.

I get Many and Rapid confused all the time.

Lord Tataraus
2007-07-17, 07:52 PM
Eh...go with the charging scout, they're better if you do it right. My friend made (i.e. I told him how to make), and charging Scout and ended up doing 10d6+6 damage (2d6 greatsword, 2d6 greater powerful charge, 4d6 improved skirmish). And on undead he did 10d6+12 (swift hunter feat with the elf substitution ranger) and undead bane. He was an amazing tank that beat out the Werewolf Barbarian and one-shot killed almost everything.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-17, 07:54 PM
One could play an awakened rhinoceros Scout and really liven things up.

Dhavaer
2007-07-17, 07:59 PM
I guess you could take Dual Strike (idk where that's from), it lets you attack once with each weapon as a standard action. I'd advise just taking manyshot and a bow.

Dual Strike doesn't apply precision damage to both attacks, though.

Aximili
2007-07-17, 08:29 PM
Your best bet with a Scout is always Greater Manyshot.

There's a weapon enhancement in Champions of Ruin called Splitting. It only works for bow, and will basically double your damage (including skirmish damage) for a +3 bonus. If you have the book, check it out.

Matthew
2007-07-17, 08:42 PM
Dual Strike doesn't apply precision damage to both attacks, though.
Yeah, you want Two Weapon Pounce (PHB II) or otherwise some method of getting Pounce.

RTGoodman
2007-07-17, 08:51 PM
Yeah, you want Two Weapon Pounce (PHB II) or otherwise some method of getting Pounce.

A level in Lion Totem variant Barbarian from Complete Champion will fix that.

Person_Man
2007-07-17, 10:06 PM
Be sure to pick up Improved Skirmish from Complete Scoundrel, it increases your Skirmish damage by +2d6 for 1 feat.

Also, I vote for using Greater Manyshot. It's far easier to increase damage using a magical bow and magical arrows. It doesn't require multi-classing. And with your Fast Movement, Flawless Stride, and Tumble, you have an easy time staying away from the front line of combat, which is a good thing, since you're very squishy. It's what the Scout was designed to do.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-17, 11:03 PM
Be sure to pick up Improved Skirmish from Complete Scoundrel, it increases your Skirmish damage by +2d6 for 1 feat.

The only problem I have with Improved Skirmish is that it requires you to move 20' instead of 10', which makes it a little harder to qualify for.

Aximili
2007-07-18, 01:52 AM
The only problem I have with Improved Skirmish is that it requires you to move 20' instead of 10', which makes it a little harder to qualify for.
I really think the feat is worth taking.

If you are outdoors, it shouldn't be a problem. The only issue is during dungeon/underground adventuring (which could mean anything from most to none of the time depending on the campaing), but even then you should be able to qualify most of the time. And when you don't qualify you'll just have to deal with 2d6 less damage per attack.

Person_Man
2007-07-18, 09:13 AM

Agreed. But again, Fast Movement, Flawless Stride, and Tumble. Even if he needs to move directly through threatened or occupied squares, he shouldn't have that hard of a time moving 20 feet every round by mid levels.

Tyger
2007-07-18, 09:20 AM
Your best bet with a Scout is always Greater Manyshot.

There's a weapon enhancement in Champions of Ruin called Splitting. It only works for bow, and will basically double your damage (including skirmish damage) for a +3 bonus. If you have the book, check it out.

Yeah, Splitting is nice. Too nice. Which is why it hasn't been replicated in any of the newer sourcebooks or the MIC. A +3 that is actually better than the Speed magical effect (also a +3 bonus)??? Just doesn't make any sense from a balance point of view.

That said, yes, Greater Manyshot is your easiest ticket to fame and fortune.