PDA

View Full Version : Alter Self and (Ex) Special Attacks

Zombimode
2016-12-28, 09:23 AM
Skimming through this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=343.0) thread for cool forms to use for my new character, a Daelkyr Half-Blood Hexblade, it appears that some people believe that Alter Self grants use of Special Attacks as long as they are (Ex) or so.

Reading through the spell description I just can't see it.

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

And physical qualities are:

Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth).

Special Attacks like Constrict or Improved Grab are notably not listed.

Are those people just overeager, or is it me who can't read the spell description quite right?

Menzath
2016-12-28, 10:46 AM
I think as long as the EX attack is useable without the creatures natural weapons, by strict RAW it's fine. Also it does specify qualities, so by RAW that could mean special qualities in the monster stat block, and leave special attacks open for arguement.
As for RAI, I don't think the writer was even looking at the terms used in game, so it's hard to tell what was intended.

Or maybe I'm crazy. That happens.