PDA

View Full Version : Burnt to the ground: When a DM just destroys their own campaign.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-28, 11:53 AM
Hello there, I am making a thread about tales of when a DM kills a campaign in a single session through their own insane, stupid, or thoughtless decisions.

Keep in mind a few guidelines for how these tales should go:

If the campaign comes to a planned stop, then it wasn't killed off, it just ended. If the players roll up new characters in the same world, that isn't the end. If the players made poor decisions, got incredibly unlucky, or something the DM had less control over, then it's a different story. If people just wandered apart an couldn't play it anymore but wanted to, then it wasn't this problem. If the campaign was only a couple of session, then there isn't much to burn down.

This is when a campaign is going at least pretty well, and people want to do more, then the DM makes a decision or a string of decisions that just destroys the campaign for the group, or a powder keg finally goes off.

Here is my story:

The first long term campaign I was involved with was a first edition game with some modified rules. I first joined around the year 2001-ish, but kep with that group for what must have been close to a decade. It was run by a guy who I could only describe as "slowly turning into Ted Nugent" over the years.

So some backstory: We had an adventure in a tower outside the City the DM favored having all of our adventures in. We decided to not only clear out the haunted tower, but rebuild it.

So our collective group pooled our resources and actually ended up sort of becoming lords of the manor. We started a small town-like area with a defensible tower, surrounding houses, and even a tavern. One of our players spent HOURS on it, planning, creating fortifications, drawing everything keeping inventory and making plans. We all spent time on it, making our own corners and contributions. Some of the players made their bar, I made a small library and research area for my cleric/magic user. We ended up having adventures related to maintaining the area, clearing out threats and even defending from an encroaching army.

Then things started to go south. First we had a problem when the DM decided to nearly kill us with suddenly bad weather because we hadn't brought winter clothes or provisions. Problem was it was basically non-descript April weather when we left, but he decided to change to realistic weather by date while we were in the middle of the forest. First indication that the DM was sort of going.

However we ended up making it out, healing our frostbite, etc. Not sure if anyone died but the party as a whole made it out fine, minus some flu-like trouble recovering from hypothermia. In our adventure, we came across a few magic items. My character's speciality was research and identification, so she took the item, which was a large crystal bowl the size of a punch bowl, and left it in her research room after failing to identify it. (Keep in mind that I should have probably gotten SOME sort of indication as to what it was, but either way, the following ENDED the campaign)

Turns out it was some sort of weird artifact I believe he found online I think. Judging by his reaction, he didn't appear to read through its effects before unleashing it on us and the town. Basically, the bowl created random effects that would make the Wand of Wonder blush. Amongst its effects, which were about to KILL us, the basement (where the item was and my library was) ended up full of acid. On top of that, random occurences happened, which included a safe appearing over everyone in the vicinity's head and dropping to hit them for 1d20 damage. The DM rolled a natural 20. Every person in the town, including guards, workers, women and children, everyone except the PCs, they all die. Even our captain of the guard failed his system shock roll and died, even though h had over 20 hit points. Finally, through use of an acide resistence potion, a potion of water breathing, and an amulet of underwater action, our group crusader (paladin-ish class) managed to go underground, find the bowl, and smash it. It exploded.

The tower was ruined, everyone in the town was dead, and all that remained was a black orb in the middle of the exploded area. We looked into it, and when someone touched it, they disappeared, from what looks like teleportation. We, foolish as we were, decided this was something summoning us to an adventure, or at least an explanation. Nope. Our levels 6-7 characters were all, ALL sent to the 7th level of hell. The DM basically said we were either dead or selling our souls to demons to get out.

He let us roll what's called Divine Intervention, and my cleric/magic-users deity intervened on behalf of her, bringing her back in the temple in the city, sans all of her possessions (Including her SPELLBOOK). Yet funnily enough, I was the luckiest person there by a good margin. My character survived. Everyone else lost at least one character and in some cases two or more. The tower we worked so hard on was gone, and the land was definitely going to be considered cursed so no one would want to live there again. The bar was gone, the people were gone, the characters were all gone (The DM also ran an evil campaign, so not all of his player characters were gone, just all the Good/neutral aligned ones). I was lucky enough to only have 1 of my 2 characters there and she was only robbed of all her possessions, not irretrievably killed. My other character, luckily, was a witch who was a wanderer and didn't keep any possessions in the tower.

The Dm shrugged it off, saying he didn't read all of the effects and it was just "bad luck with the rolls".

It was at that point I decided to use the excuse of being "uncomfortable" with them smoking marijuana at the game and I wouldn't join them any more. It was less confrontational then telling the DM "You are incredibly inconsiderate, you ruined something we worked hard on, and you refused to just fudge it or retcon it when YOU made the mistake of not looking into the items you introduced to your game." Truth is I had no problem with people smoking pot, at game or otherwise. They respected my choice to abstain without pressure or mockery, and I respected their choice to smoke it.

Failing to research an item that shatters players' hard work and then deciding to roll with its effects rather than retcon or make it up to them somehow? That's not respectful. Even though I didn't suffer that much, the character who lost their gear wasn't my favorite anyway, I realized I had no reason to put effort into that game, and as such had no reason to play in it.

What I learned though, as a player on that side, helped me as a future DM:

1. Read up before you add anything to your game. Modern games usually don't have the kind of kooky stuff that first edition games sometimes had that could destroy a campaign, but you still need to read up on something and consider its effects before adding it. Randomness can add fun, but the people who make "random" kooky items like a wand of wonder or a Deck of Many Things don't tend to consider consequences very well.

2. Don't be afraid to retcon if things go WAY off the rails. A retcon is the nuclear option, but there could be consequences that require backtracking, if not a few minutes even a whole session. If the end result is 6th level or lower characters in the lower planes, things probably went too far.

3. Respect the players' hard work. Don't dismiss or destroy a players hard work on a whim.

4. Cursed items are a real jerk move.

5. If you wipe out everyone in a TPK that was no real fault of the players and the project the group was working on for hours on end and put several sessions of work into, at least take the effort to CARE.

Freed
2016-12-28, 06:45 PM
Now this didn't technically end the campaign, but we changed characters, DMs, settings, and all that jazz.
This was the first real game I had played. I was DM until I wanted to try it out as a player.
My friend had a character whose village was destroyed by a dragon.
New DM had him fight a dragon, both died, be ressurected as a dragon, tricked into destroying hios village and killing himself. My character decided to retire, we switched GMs, and kept playing.
(Note: The DM is still my friend, he's a better DM now, and Dms occasionally.)

Noje
2016-12-28, 07:04 PM
That is by far the dumbest artifact I have ever heard of. First edition has a lot of magic items and artifacts that feel like BS when you first encounter them, but that thing was just a cartoon doomsday device. Magically dropping safes on everyone's heads? who reads that feature and goes "yeah, this will be a good addition to my game?" How did that fit into his lore? Who thought that would be an effective way to slaughter a village?

I remember a DM I had a few years back gave us a cursed dagger that forced the wielder to drop their trousers and stick it up their ass. It was very uncomfortable that he went into great detail about it as well. Needless to say I didn't come back for the next session

Tzonarin
2016-12-29, 01:05 AM
Being a DM is sometimes a thankless job. I had one campaign for D&D Next that basically went off the rails because one guy in the party refused to RP a situation - instead deferring to OOC knowledge to overcome a problem. He wanted to talk his way out of a situation out of character, rather than handling the matter in character. He got so obsessed with the idea that I just stopped the campaign, as the other PC's were angry with him as well.

DMing is a balance. You have to sometimes help the party succeed, other times, you have to give them a quest to actually win. Keeping the game interesting and enjoyable, without allowing the players to have their run of the table is never easy.

Sometimes the story ends badly for everyone. Ever watch the movie Krampus?

Tzo

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-29, 07:02 AM
Magically dropping safes on everyone's heads? who reads that feature and goes "yeah, this will be a good addition to my game?" How did that fit into his lore? Who thought that would be an effective way to slaughter a village?

He didn't read that effect, that was the problem. He basically threw it in not knowing what it did. I'm not sure where he got it from, hell he COULD have even made it himself one day, forgot about it, found it in his notes later and threw it in. The guy was unstable. Let's just say that I didn't just leave because of a lack of respect for D&D characters.

Kane0
2016-12-29, 04:45 PM
Reminds me of when we switched editions in my group, we converted to 4e but the DM kept some 'old magic' items around from 3.5 that acted as mcguffins, one of which was a wand of locate city bomb (one charge). We had the suicide mission of getting it to the enemy city-state amd detonating it.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-29, 05:42 PM
Reminds me of when we switched editions in my group, we converted to 4e but the DM kept some 'old magic' items around from 3.5 that acted as mcguffins, one of which was a wand of locate city bomb (one charge). We had the suicide mission of getting it to the enemy city-state amd detonating it.

I had a DM pull out the Locate City Bomb and I facepalmed so hard.

braveheart
2016-12-29, 06:02 PM
I was in a pathfinder campaign where my character had infiltrated a cult to start sabotaging them from the inside. the party got my character a cursed ring that let the wizard scry on her without need spells. we were having fun with the whole secret agent thing, when the GM decides that the entire cult wasn't a story worth continuing so he had a DMPC walk in and kill everyone except my character. that was the end of the campaign too, we became completely irrelevant the DMPC wiped out all of our enemies.

Kane0
2016-12-29, 09:22 PM
I had a DM pull out the Locate City Bomb and I facepalmed so hard.

That particular instance was pretty fun, it was a one shot that ended up getting stretched to three sessions as we rolled up fanatics tasked with infiltrating the city and waiting for the right time (when all the major leadership was present in the city) to activate the wand and wipe the enemy out in one fell swoop.
So not quite a crash an burn, even though it was exactly that by design.

Velaryon
2016-12-29, 09:38 PM
I've had DM's who refuse to run the game if even one player can't make it, leading to months and months between sessions and players not being able to remember what was going on in the game. I've seen some games recover from this, but others fall apart because the GM wasn't willing to just run without one player and then work them back in next week.

I've also had DM's TPK the party with encounters that were way too difficult for the party to handle, and then let the campaign end rather than retcon or pull something out of their butt. I had another one that I blame 50% on the DM for giving us a very hard encounter when we were down a player that night, and 50% on one of the other players who had just introduced a new PC and decided that their character agreed with the enemies instead of the party, and turned on us, resulting in a TPK except for the party wizard, who bailed on everyone and teleported to safety when he was the last one standing.

However, the one that sprung to mind first happened maybe 9 or 10 years ago. It was a 3.5 game set in the Forgotten Realms. Party was questing for an item that was basically a glass rose with powerful fire magic abilities. It was either homebrew or cribbed from somewhere else that I didn't recognize. In order to get it, we had to infiltrate a tower that was guarded by a red dragon (I'm not sure exactly what age category, but we were level 8 and it was something that was very difficult for us.

An epic battle ensues, in which my ninja character climbed the tower, jumped onto the dragon's back, and stuck a pair of Immovable Rods up its nose (you may have seen this story elsewhere on this forum), which didn't end the fight entirely, but basically bought us a round or two of free attacks while the dragon extricated itself. Eventually we defeated it, entered the tower, grabbed the quest item...

...and were sucked through a portal into Eberron. Everything we'd been doing up to that point was cast aside and completely forgotten about, and we were now in a strange land that we knew nothing about (even OOC for most of us, as Eberron was fairly new at the time), and basically everything except our character sheets got totally rebooted into a new game.

We tried to roll with it, but the game only lasted one more session before it just stopped. Looking back, I think the DM was starting to experience burnout and just didn't know it yet, so he started doing things like this which resulted in people just losing interest in games after only a couple sessions.

Phoenixguard09
2016-12-31, 05:36 AM
I don't run unless the whole group is present. That's why I put so much effort into our campaign log, and expect everyone to read it. We have had multiple hiatuses which have lasted for months on end, but we're still going.

I've only seen a GM implode a game once, and it literally was a classic 'rocks fall, everyone died' kind of deal.

dps
2016-12-31, 01:20 PM
Eventually we defeated it, entered the tower, grabbed the quest item...

...and were sucked through a portal into Eberron. Everything we'd been doing up to that point was cast aside and completely forgotten about, and we were now in a strange land that we knew nothing about (even OOC for most of us, as Eberron was fairly new at the time), and basically everything except our character sheets got totally rebooted into a new game.

That would have really ticked me off if I had been a player in that game.

Velaryon
2016-12-31, 04:31 PM
That would have really ticked me off if I had been a player in that game.

I was definitely thinking "WTF, man? What about our quest?" We tried to make the best of it by immediately getting involved in local events, though. We witnessed a dude being murdered out in public (though hardly anyone saw it). When we checked the body, his credentials revealed he was provost of the university in Sharn, which is where we turned out to be. Our wizard promptly animated him as a zombie, then used a disguise self to assume the man's identity. We planned to move into the provost's quarters at the university while we tried to figure out where we were and what we'd just stumbled into.

And then the game... just kinda petered out. And after a couple abortive attempts at other systems, we ended up starting another D&D game, right back in Faerun where we'd been. It was definitely a bit annoying.