PDA

View Full Version : Faerun Story Information for Waterdeep needed

Barbarian Horde
2016-12-28, 02:29 PM
Was it ran by a CR 50 Elder Beholder named Xanathar? However, he wasn't killed as far as I'm aware. Though the wiki says the official thief's guild broke apart and I assume the red sash keeps them from reforming. Does this mean that Xanathar's group still exist or was it removed and now the beholder lives in solitude? Or does the beholder still have one formed? I think he does in baldur with the support of skullport, but I think I'm getting information confused. I just want to get clarification on the subject, I admit to having almost zero knowledge and don't want to use wiki as my source.

I'm young (7years in) and don't know enough off hand knowledge of faerun without investing hours and more hours into research. I'm hoping to find a quick answer here if available.

I put this in the 3.5 forum but I didn't get a reply. I'm hoping that some 2nd edition players will have a easier time giving me a response.

Hopeless
2016-12-29, 05:11 AM
The Eye of the Beholder game where that specific Beholder was driven into a trap that crushed almost as effectively as Chris Hardwick's character in the Force Grey Giant Hunters series was?

Was a time when that game should have been canon... sigh!

Barbarian Horde
2016-12-29, 08:05 PM
Did another beholder take over and claim that Xanathar was not a name, but a title that the leader has? So at 1461 DR (the year of our campaign) there should still be a slave ring / thieves guild in Skullport that is influential in Waterdeep I think. Would you agree to some extent that my information seems accurate?

LibraryOgre
2016-12-29, 08:20 PM
Did another beholder take over and claim that Xanathar was not a name, but a title that the leader has? So at 1461 DR (the year of our campaign) there should still be a slave ring / thieves guild in Skullport that is influential in Waterdeep I think. Would you agree to some extent that my information seems accurate?

Seems reasonable. And I can see another beholder doing that, especially given the Waterdeep local example of Siamorphe.

Mutazoia
2016-12-30, 12:24 AM
Was it ran by a CR 50 Elder Beholder named Xanathar? However, he wasn't killed as far as I'm aware. Though the wiki says the official thief's guild broke apart and I assume the red sash keeps them from reforming. Does this mean that Xanathar's group still exist or was it removed and now the beholder lives in solitude? Or does the beholder still have one formed? I think he does in baldur with the support of skullport, but I think I'm getting information confused. I just want to get clarification on the subject, I admit to having almost zero knowledge and don't want to use wiki as my source.

I'm young (7years in) and don't know enough off hand knowledge of faerun without investing hours and more hours into research. I'm hoping to find a quick answer here if available.

I put this in the 3.5 forum but I didn't get a reply. I'm hoping that some 2nd edition players will have a easier time giving me a response.

The official answer to your question is: It's your campaign. The information you desire to be true, is true. Xanathar could be dead, or alive and "kicking"...which ever makes a more interesting campaign for you and your players. And just because people say the official thieves guild broke apart, doesn't mean that it actually did. Maybe they just got better and hiding out.

In the end, any and all source material is there for a reference only, and can be (and should be) edited or used as is at our discression.

Barbarian Horde
2016-12-30, 01:15 PM
Yeah, but forgotten realms is so fleshed out I don't know if something already exist for it or If I needed to add.
-----
off topic

Mark, first time finding someone from Houston on the forums. I'm from the humble/atascocita area near 69. Maybe I'll see you at Matsuri one year at the tabletop section.

nyjastul69
2016-12-30, 09:33 PM

Canonically speaking I believe this is correct. The Eye killed the original Xanathar and assumed the title Xanathar. What edition are you playing? Canonically 1461 is 4e I think. I don't really know post 3e FR lore. The Candlekeep forums (http://forum.candlekeep.com) might be helpful.