PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Malconformer - dedicated shape changer class

oncnawan
2016-12-28, 02:52 PM
The problem with shapechanging in D&D is, except for three or so spells, access to shapeshifting is limited to wild shape. Wild shape being a class feature tacked onto a full caster's already impressive power, it will always be half-baked, or overpowered, or a little bit of both.

D&D 3.0 had a pretty sweet shifting class called the Shifter http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/shifter/ which I have wanted to play, but it was replaced with some lame sauce in 3.5.

For real Ben-Ten level shape changing, see my attached custom class, the Malconformer. Feedback appreciated.

https://www.docdroid.net/w8jeEvY/malconformer-2-current.pdf.html

https://www.docdroid.net/w8jeEvY/malconformer-2-current.pdf.html

Ethambutol
2016-12-29, 12:43 AM
Hm... I don't mind the concept necessarily but I'm not entirely sure that this class adds a lot to what the Druid already has in its kit other than access to some non-beast forms at the cost of spellcasting.

That said, there are a few issues I think:

* Access to CR 1 forms at level 1 makes you radically more powerful than any other class at that level by a pretty insane margin. It's not too big of a deal since moon druids also get CR 1 creatures at second level, but having access to it right off the bat makes any encounter at that level trivial.

* The Chakra point progression per level makes no sense. It seems entirely arbitrary and convoluted. It'd probably be best to overhaul this entirely to a simpler system. Perhaps you can use the Monk's Ki as a basis? "133" of a resource at level 20 is just bizarre.

* It seems just pretty dry overall. I'll admit I skimmed the document since it's a bit wordy, but it doesn't seem like you get much in the ways of progression. You gain some more Chakra points, you gain some new forms but nothing really class defining... pretty much until level 17 and even then it's just access to even more new forms.

* It looks like you've got a very clear visual yourself about what this class is supposed to look/feel like, but I think your fluff is probably a bit too specific. I don't think it's necessary to include details like having to meditate to align chakra to beasts and then tattooing a symbol onto your body. If that's how the player wants to roleplay the process, great, but you shouldn't mandate it in your fluff text.

Clearly you've put a lot of thought into this! But does seem like there's a few things to iron out.

oncnawan
2016-12-29, 07:53 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I will address your concerns in the quote.

Hm... I don't mind the concept necessarily but I'm not entirely sure that this class adds a lot to what the Druid already has in its kit other than access to some non-beast forms at the cost of spellcasting.

That said, there are a few issues I think:

* Access to CR 1 forms at level 1 makes you radically more powerful than any other class at that level by a pretty insane margin. It's not too big of a deal since moon druids also get CR 1 creatures at second level, but having access to it right off the bat makes any encounter at that level trivial.

This is a good point that I have agonized over. As you point out, Moon Circle druids get CR 1 creatures at level 2, and have full spellcasting at level 1. Without spellcasting or any other class features, do you think this is still overpowered?

* The Chakra point progression per level makes no sense. It seems entirely arbitrary and convoluted. It'd probably be best to overhaul this entirely to a simpler system. Perhaps you can use the Monk's Ki as a basis? "133" of a resource at level 20 is just bizarre.

The chakra point progression is based on the spell point system, found in the DMG.

* It seems just pretty dry overall. I'll admit I skimmed the document since it's a bit wordy, but it doesn't seem like you get much in the ways of progression. You gain some more Chakra points, you gain some new forms but nothing really class defining... pretty much until level 17 and even then it's just access to even more new forms.

The class is modeled on the wizard, with creature forms instead of spells. In an effort to keep the class from being overpowered, I cut some proposed class features. A lot of the flavor for the class comes from the new creature forms you get, which can be quite powerful.

* It looks like you've got a very clear visual yourself about what this class is supposed to look/feel like, but I think your fluff is probably a bit too specific. I don't think it's necessary to include details like having to meditate to align chakra to beasts and then tattooing a symbol onto your body. If that's how the player wants to roleplay the process, great, but you shouldn't mandate it in your fluff text.

Clearly you've put a lot of thought into this! But does seem like there's a few things to iron out.

The class needs a money sink, which, like the wizard, comes from the special inks used to access new forms. What can I use that you think would be less specific?

Thanks again for your input!

eleazzaar
2016-12-30, 11:27 PM
This concept is a class I've long wanted to play.

On first glance one thing sticks out to me-- why do they have to prepare their forms like a wizard preparing spells? Seems a senseless bit of busy-work, and it makes their wildshaping inferior to the Druids in that.

oncnawan
2016-12-31, 08:09 PM
This concept is a class I've long wanted to play.

On first glance one thing sticks out to me-- why do they have to prepare their forms like a wizard preparing spells? Seems a senseless bit of busy-work, and it makes their wildshaping inferior to the Druids in that.

You bring up a good point. I intentionally limited the shapeshifting. The druid's wildshape is limited by two factors: 1) can only be used twice per short rest, and 2) can only transform into beast shapes. The I removed the twice per short rest limitation, as it does not make sense on a class based on shapeshifting. And, of course, the Malconformer is not limited to beast shapes only.

Because the malconformer can transform into any shape he knows, and potentially the shape of any creature he sees, there must be a limit on the shapes available at any given time. Imagine the wizard being able to prepare all of the spells in her spellbook. Way too powerful! The malconformer's "spells" are his shapes. He can choose shapes for combat, for utility, etc. But he must choose, or he becomes unbalanced in the extreme. Also, having to prepare shapes makes for fun dilemmas, which thrust upon the character meaningful strategic choices.

King539
2016-12-31, 08:48 PM
Perhaps add some subclasses? All other 5e classes have those.