PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What's Your Favorite Supplement?

Palanan
2016-12-28, 04:22 PM
Thanks to some very generous relatives, I have a little more book money than I was expecting, and once again I'm tempted by Pathfinder.

At this point, between my own small collection and my local library, I'm pretty set for the major hardbacks. But there's a whole slew of other supplements, and I'm completely open to suggestions.

If you could get just one official Paizo softcover supplement, what would it be, and why?

Milo v3
2016-12-30, 12:10 AM
Is third-party on the table or just official stuff?

Ualaa
2016-12-30, 12:17 AM
3rd party... Spheres of Power.

But Ultimate Psionics is a close 2nd.
Path of War would be a 3rd.

For adventures...
Way of the Wicked, was amazing.
Rappan Athuk was a nasty (fun) dungeon crawl.

Pathfinder stuff...
Advanced Player's Guide, added a bunch of fun classes; that would probably be the top for me, if I were to pick just one.

unseenmage
2016-12-30, 08:59 AM
Whatever book the "Building and Modifying Constructs" section of the PRD came from.

Bless that section and all the simplification crafting Constructs by CR has afforded our group.

Kol Korran
2016-12-30, 10:22 AM
Note that the PFSRD has most of the info ready for free, and far easier to navigate than most actual books. If I had money, I'd use it to but either game enhancing material (Whether you use grids, minis, or perhaps even Harrow cards or whatever), or material not on the PFSRD. (Such as Modules, impressive maps, or so on).

Celestia
2016-12-30, 10:27 AM
I loved reading Tome of Magic. It was so entertaining, even if most of the stuff in it is crap. Bastard and Bloodlines is pretty cool, too. I love all the different half breed races. Also, Lost Tradition is amazing.

LordOfCain
2016-12-30, 10:29 AM
I loved reading Tome of Magic. It was so entertaining, even if most of the stuff in it is crap. Bastard and Bloodlines is pretty cool, too. I love all the different half breed races. Also, Lost Tradition is amazing.
This thread is for Pathfinder, while those are great 3.5e books, they aren't written by Pathfinder companies.

Celestia
2016-12-30, 10:32 AM
This thread is for Pathfinder, while those are great 3.5e books, they aren't written by Pathfinder companies.
Whoops. My bad. I just saw the title.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-12-30, 10:45 AM
Well, what parts of the system do you like? If you run, investing in bestiaries, the NPC codex, or the Monster codex isn't a bad idea. I'm fond of the last one. If you like a particular hardcover, getting some of the Player Companions and Campaign Setting books that expand on it are not bad ideas.

digiman619
2016-12-30, 10:48 AM

Seconding this so hard.

Milo v3
2016-12-30, 06:33 PM
Mine would be Akashic Mysteries. It's a new magic system with amazing flavour, great balance, has a sliding scale of complexity (so people who are the type to pick fighters for simplicity don't get left out), has new classes/races/archetypes, and even has monsters which use the system. So far every review of it has been 5 stars.

137beth
2016-12-30, 06:36 PM

ToM fans interested in a Pathfinder book like ToM would do well to pick up Strange Magic. (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149011/Strange-Magic--Ethermagic-Composition-and-Truemagic?src=hottest_filtered) I actually use SM in 3.5, even though it is written for Pathfinder.

Mehangel
2016-12-30, 07:33 PM

I also agree with this as well.

Palanan
2016-12-30, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Milo v3
Is third-party on the table or just official stuff?

Thanks for the catch—I should’ve mentioned that official Paizo is all I’m looking for right now.

I also don’t use psionics or PoW. Or anything spherical.

Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph
…getting some of the Player Companions and Campaign Setting books….

This is what I’m looking for suggestions on—these and any related softcover books. There are a ton of these, and right now I’m just looking to hear which of them other people really like.

…the Monster codex….

As it happens, I was in Barnes & Noble this afternoon with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket, and I’d gone into the store specifically to see if they had the Monster Codex.

But once I looked through it…meh. I understand it’s meant to flesh out the traditional monstrous races, but even so most of them just didn’t grab me.

Originally Posted by Kol Korran
Note that the PFSRD has most of the info ready for free, and far easier to navigate than most actual books.

I appreciate the suggestion. I’m aware of the PFSRD, but I find it extremely difficult to navigate, and I much prefer hardcopy books.

When I look up material online I use the PRD on the Paizo site, which is much cleaner and simpler—and also more convenient for me, because I don’t use third-party material.

Originally Posted by Milo v3
Mine would be Akashic Mysteries. It's a new magic system with amazing flavour, great balance, has a sliding scale of complexity (so people who are the type to pick fighters for simplicity don't get left out), has new classes/races/archetypes, and even has monsters which use the system. So far every review of it has been 5 stars.

But if I ever do pick up any third-party books, this will be at the top of the list.

For now, I’m just looking for recommendations from the Paizo softcovers…but I will definitely keep Akashic Mysteries in mind.

Eldaran
2016-12-30, 11:34 PM
Definitely Spheres of Power. When I first read it, I liked it a lot, but it wasn't my favorite. But the more I use it the more I like it, it reminds me a lot of White Wolf's Mage the Ascension (but balanced). The freeform magic system, the incredible build diversity, the amount of character types it can represent. It's just the perfect system.

Edit: Oh, as for Paizo stuff, I liked the Advanced Class Guide. Even though the hybrid classes might seem like rehashes of existing concepts, they tend to turn out a lot more interesting than their parent classes.

Milo v3
2016-12-30, 11:39 PM
When it comes to Paizo content, Bestiary 5 & Horror Adventurers are great if you're a GM, and Occult Adventures & Ultimate Intrigue are great if you're a player.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-30, 11:51 PM
It's not actually Paizo material but the contents of Heroes of Battle require basically no conversion effort if you're at all interested in a war-time campaign of any kind.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-12-31, 12:17 AM
When it comes to Paizo content, Bestiary 5 & Horror Adventurers are great if you're a GM, and Occult Adventures & Ultimate Intrigue are great if you're a player.

For all the hate Horror Adventures gets for broken sanity systems, there is a lot of overlooked cool stuff in the book. And I like Occult Adventures as a GM, and Ultimate Intrigue gives me all sorts of tools to catch up with players. At the very least, a 1-level dip in Vigilante makes any villain with a dual identity that much easier to pull off.

Milo v3
2016-12-31, 12:21 AM
And I like Occult Adventures as a GM, and Ultimate Intrigue gives me all sorts of tools to catch up with players. At the very least, a 1-level dip in Vigilante makes any villain with a dual identity that much easier to pull off.

I like them too as GM, I just didn't want to give tonnes of "Favourite supplement" answers :smalltongue:

Only RPG-line books I haven't had much use out of as a GM is Ultimate Combat and NPC Codex so far (though is the poorly named Adventure's Guide doesn't seem like it's going to be useful for me as a GM either).

Palanan
2016-12-31, 12:39 AM
:smallannoyed:

I don’t seem to be communicating very well. Let me try again.

I’m looking for recommendations from any of the Paizo softcover supplements—the Player Companions, the Campaign Settings, etc. I’d like to know any favorite titles from this subset of the Paizo line, and why people like any given one.

Not looking for hardbacks, not looking for third-party, not looking for prior editions. Just Paizo softcovers. There are dozens of them, covering a huge range of topics, and I’d like to know if any of them really stand out as game resources, either for players or GMs.

Tetsubo 57
2016-12-31, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Psionics with the Cerulean Seas Campaign coming in second.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-12-31, 02:57 PM
I said, get the books that support your favorite parts. You like arcane casters, get Magic Tactics Toolbook and Arcane Anthology. You like playing evil characters, get Champions of Corruption.

Palanan
2016-12-31, 03:39 PM
I said, get the books that support your favorite parts. You like arcane casters, get Magic Tactics Toolbook and Arcane Anthology.

Thanks for these. Arcane Anthology is one I've been thinking about, although it's had some mixed reviews.

Are there any paperbacks which would mesh well with Horror Adventures?

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-12-31, 07:16 PM
Haunted Heroes and Horror Realms are intended to support HA, though after reading it, the former is a bit sparse on actual support. Still fun, though, if only for the Possessed Hand line of feats.