PDA

View Full Version : Nothing personnel kid.

Clopin Silk
2016-12-28, 05:49 PM
You know this one. The cliche where someone who's just such a badass gets behind whoever they're fighting in an instant, weapon drawn, and the fight's just over. The one that makes everybody groan when they see it, because it's so played out and whoever had a character do it is trying stupidly hard to make the character look cool and failing miserably.
And I want to know what the different methods are to make it happen in-game. I'd also like to know if there are any other 'badass' or 'edgy' cliches that you can translate into the game. So, well... *unsheathes katana* *teleports behind you* Nothing personnel kid.

JNAProductions
2016-12-28, 05:54 PM
Personal. It's personal. Personnel is a word for people who're working.

Other than that, Dimension Door+Sneak Attack? Maybe throw a feint in there, for fun?

Zanos
2016-12-28, 05:58 PM
It's part of the joke. (http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/613/323/e2e.jpg)

Technetium43
2016-12-28, 05:58 PM

Other than that, Dimension Door+Sneak Attack? Maybe throw a feint in there, for fun?

It's a reference to a particularly egregious instance of this, and very intentional.

Also, shadowpouncing definitely seems the way to do this. Maybe like, Flicker with shadowpounce, to do the whole 'teleport out of the way of an attack and then counter attack' shtick. Getting multiple shadowpounces in a turn can totally be fluffed as that 'flurry of slashes without actually moving' trope.

JNAProductions
2016-12-28, 05:59 PM
Oh, okay. I'm gonna just unsubscribe from this thread, then, because hot DAMN is that gonna irk my pants off.

The Glyphstone
2016-12-28, 06:02 PM
As far as 3.5, Gnomish Quickrazor+Quick Draw+Iaijutsu abuse would help as well, though Shadowpounce would be necessarily for the teleport+strike effect.

And yes, the intentional typo is making my eyes bleed as well.

Doc_Maynot
2016-12-28, 06:02 PM
System in use? Because Dimension Door outside of PF (Where the Dimensional Agility line is) in 3.5 there are the Teflammar Shadowlord (Shadow Pounce) and its ilk.

Clopin Silk
2016-12-28, 06:17 PM
System in use? Because Dimension Door outside of PF (Where the Dimensional Agility line is) in 3.5 there are the Teflammar Shadowlord (Shadow Pounce) and its ilk.

Sorry for not specifying. Working with 3.5 here, okay?

gr8artist
2016-12-29, 07:26 PM
Speaking of cringe-inducing edginess, there's this gem... Wolf/Werewolf Sword Thing (http://imgur.com/pUo8Rme).
I'm sure it would be pretty easy to roll up. Cursed weapon effects can limit applicable race(s), right? Can you purposefully craft a specific "curse" into a weapon?

ben-zayb
2016-12-29, 08:14 PM
A version where the person strikes you nonlethally with his hand to knock you out can be emulated by Monk with the Sun School tactical feat and a means of teleportation, like a Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt).

For total badassery, just optimize Sleight of Hand to be able to reach DC100, then trigger Sun School's Flash of Sunset off of that.

Tiri
2016-12-29, 08:46 PM
For total badassery, just optimize Sleight of Hand to be able to reach DC100, then trigger Sun School's Flash of Sunset off of that.

What does Sleight of Hand have to do with Flash of Sunset?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-29, 08:51 PM
What does Sleight of Hand have to do with Flash of Sunset?Get a high enough SoH, and you can move yourself 5' as a free action. Since the movement is basically instantaneous, it triggers Flash of Sunset.

I believe that's the theory, anyway.

Tiri
2016-12-29, 09:04 PM
Get a high enough SoH, and you can move yourself 5' as a free action. Since the movement is basically instantaneous, it triggers Flash of Sunset.

I believe that's the theory, anyway.

Well, no. You can't move yourself in that way. So you'd have to have someone else do it for you, which spoils the whole image a little.

Eldariel
2016-12-29, 09:17 PM
You can always use a nanobot to that end. Animate Object is a wonderful spell. Anyways, there's always Tome of Battle stuff; Shadow Blink into Feral Death Blow seems pretty appropriate if only a save-or-die. Alternatively something like Diamond Nightmare Blade can do a decent amount of damage in a single hit. Even Strike of Perfect Clarity or Greater Divine Surge can do a bit, though nowhere near the Diamond Nightmare Blade numbers.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-29, 09:59 PM
As a player or a DM? The latter is much easier.

Elricaltovilla
2016-12-29, 10:03 PM
Dreamscarred Press already went ahead and published this as a class/archetype in Pathfinder. The Edgelord Harbinger is intentionally this and it's available in our free April Fool's release.

Clopin Silk
2016-12-29, 11:59 PM
Dreamscarred Press already went ahead and published this as a class/archetype in Pathfinder. The Edgelord Harbinger is intentionally this and it's available in our free April Fool's release.

*Looks up Edgelord Harbinger* Dear lord, that is glorious.

Nifft
2016-12-30, 12:01 AM
Now I want a variant Lazy Warlord who can teleport an ally behind you, and then grant the ally a bonus attack.

It would be called the Edgelord.

Efrate
2016-12-30, 01:31 AM
I have a pf game i am joining in janurary, that is glorious, I think Im gonna do it. Path of war is PF ToB basically right? All the unchained stuff is a go so i am sure i can do that.