PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Rogue Subclass: Scout

ChildofLuthic
2016-12-28, 08:26 PM
So I’ve always imagined scouts as being a sort of nature rogue, the same way that rangers are sort of nature paladins/fighters, and druids are nature clerics. So I was kind of disappointed that they made scouts a fighter archetype in the UA.

So I put together my own version, where it is a subclass of the rogue, and I wanted to see if you guys could give me some feedback, both on if it fits the flavor of a mobile skirmisher who spends a lot of time in nature, and if it is balanced with regards to the other classes.

I know it’s sort of a hodge podge of other class’s traits, with some minor alterations here and there. This is my first time homebrewing, so I’m just trying to get a feel for things.

The Scout

Skirmisher: Starting at 3rd level, your mobility gives you an edge in combat. You don’t need advantage to sneak attack if you move 10 feet before making a melee attack. All the other rules for the Sneak Attack class feature still apply.

Canopy Work (or some other flavorful name): When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain the ability to climb faster than normal; climbing no longer costs you extra movement.

Trackless Step: Beginning at 9th level, you and your party cannot be tracked in natural surroundings.

Land’s Stride: Starting at 13th level, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. You can also pass through nonmagical plants without being slowed by them and without taking damage from them if they have thorns, spines, or a similar hazard.

In addition, you have advantage on saving throws against plants that are magically created or manipulated to impede movement, such those created by the entangle spell.

Master Skirmisher: Beginning at 17th level, your quickness with a blade lets you turn failure into success in combat. If you miss with a melee attack roll, you can move 5 feet and attack the same target again with advantage. Once you do so, you can't use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.