PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Bag of Holding's actual size?

MintyNinja
2016-12-29, 01:34 AM
Hey Playground, just need outside input on this possible non-issue. Dimensions for a Bag of Holding read as 64 cubic feet. Is that really just 4 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft? Can barely hold a dead halfling with that, let alone most things an enterprising party might want to take with them.

Thanks in advance.

RazorChain
2016-12-29, 02:03 AM
you do realize that is 1800 liters or 480 gallons....that means if you fill it with water it will hold 1800kg or 4000lbs, so if you dice your halfings up you can probably stuff at least 10 them into the bag.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-29, 06:48 AM
Yeah. Bags of Holding aren't huge. I would expect a high level party to have multiple Bags, or supplement them with Heward's Handy Haversacks or Portable Holes.

I might allow you to fold up a medium corpse to fit inside, but that's about the limit of a single bag.

mgshamster
2016-12-29, 08:14 AM
So it's a little bigger than a cubic yard.

Ever buy a yard of rocks/dirt/wood/bark? Fills up the back of a pickup truck.

This is a cubic yard:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NS9qBpmBT_k/maxresdefault.jpg

Or one of those large trash dumpsters at a apartment complex or behind a gorcery store? Those are two cubic yards. So a bag of holding can put in roughly 2/3 of that.

It's a lot more than you think it is.

Falcon X
2016-12-29, 11:28 AM
If I may be permitted to topic-steal...

Does anyone know if you can fold a bag of holding to make it smaller and easier to carry? Like being able to sit on it or stuff it into a tight space.
It makes logical sense, but a player brought up the question, and we thought it was one worth asking since it has another dimension inside it.

...so if you dice your halfings up you can probably stuff at least 10 them into the bag.
Also, thanks for giving me a great description to give our assassin who just got a bag of holding. She will love it.

CursedRhubarb
2016-12-29, 11:40 AM
Remember they have a weight limit too and can only hold up to 500 lbs. so while it has room for more, due to weight it could only hold 59.8 gallons of water.

My group has had more trouble with the weight limit than with the volume limit.

And yes, you can fold them up or stuff them inside a normal bag or pack. Just don't turn it inside out or put it into another Bag of Holding or a Portable Hole.

SethoMarkus
2016-12-29, 03:03 PM
And yes, you can fold them up or stuff them inside a normal bag or pack. Just don't turn it inside out or put it into another Bag of Holding or a Portable Hole.

Halfling pieces everywhere! Even in the Rakshasa wounds!

hymer
2016-12-29, 03:26 PM
Remember they have a weight limit too and can only hold up to 500 lbs. so while it has room for more, due to weight it could only hold 59.8 gallons of water.

Lord Almighty, why don't you guys go over to the metric system already? :smalltongue:

MBControl
2016-12-29, 03:32 PM
What you really need to know, is you can grind up the corpses in to a thin puree, and get a lot of bodies in there.

Regitnui
2016-12-29, 03:47 PM
What you really need to know, is you can grind up the corpses in to a thin puree, and get a lot of bodies in there.

If you're going to that much effort, just feed it to your Animated Chair and let the corpses decompose in an extradimensional space.

pwykersotz
2016-12-29, 04:01 PM
Lord Almighty, why don't you guys go over to the metric system already? :smalltongue:

Mostly pride. We went to the moon on that math! :smallbiggrin:

It's funny, because I wouldn't even be opposed to a unit switch in the US, except I love that it antagonizes people and I would hate to give them the satisfaction. :smalltongue:

Coffee_Dragon
2016-12-29, 05:49 PM

I was just thinking that a benefit of imperial is that you can use it in a fantasy game and immediately get that archaic, incomprehensible feeling.

Erys
2016-12-29, 07:56 PM
If I may be permitted to topic-steal...

Does anyone know if you can fold a bag of holding to make it smaller and easier to carry? Like being able to sit on it or stuff it into a tight space.

Looking at their picture in the DMG, they look pretty sturdy; you should be able to fold them at least some though.

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 07:53 AM
I was just thinking that a benefit of imperial is that you can use it in a fantasy game and immediately get that archaic, incomprehensible feeling.

*golf applause*

ApplePen
2016-12-30, 08:01 AM
Please don't kill halflings, the female ones are very attractive.

Regitnui
2016-12-30, 09:35 AM
Please don't kill halflings, the female ones are very attractive.

If you're into smaller women, sure. I prefer the slender kind (half-elves).

Falcon X
2016-12-30, 09:41 AM
If you're into smaller women, sure. I prefer the slender kind (half-elves).
There's something oddly attractive about a dwarven woman. My favorite iteration was in Castle Faulkenstein where they have small tufts of hair underneath their chin that is the softest material men can find. You can talk about female beards all day, but once you touch a good female dwarf beard, you find it hard to go back.

(Oh please let this whole topic shift to preferences on females in fantasy races :)

Officer Joy
2016-12-30, 09:50 AM
Ever since TES4 Oblivion. I've had a certain attraction too Half-Orc ladies, it was the lady that wanted to be a knight. But I don't remember much details about her storyline, but her voice and heroic personality was so lovely.

Regitnui
2016-12-30, 09:54 AM
New thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510580-Just-For-Fun-Most-Attractive-D-amp-D-Females) for this all-important decision. Which race has the most beautiful ladies?

MintyNinja
2016-12-30, 07:46 PM
Thanks for adding the branch for off-topic. Also, thanks to the playground for answering my question. I am more partial to the Portable Hole, something about a money pit you can literally dive into just feels... right.