PDA

View Full Version : Confidence Vs. Serendipity

Afgncaap5
2016-12-29, 02:55 AM
Hypothetically, let's say you've got two figures who each have a special condition in a 3.5 game. One can have morale bonuses from different sources stack (truly different, though, so you can't just, say, have the same morale-boosting spell or two different bards singing for you), while the other can let luck bonuses from different sources stack (same thing, you can't have two of the same luck-boosting spell, etc.) Which one of them can get more bang for their buck, do you think? Is it better to be Darkwing Duck with boundless self-assurance, or better to be Gladstone Gander with limitless and ever-reliable luck going your way?

And would it be fair to give a Lord Hater expy the morale-thing?

Wow, I'm really dipping into the Disney Animation well today.

Inevitability
2016-12-29, 04:36 AM
Luck bonuses tend to be far less common than morale bonuses. I'd say the first is better.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-29, 05:35 AM
Luck bonuses tend to be far less common than morale bonuses. I'd say the first is better.

This. Part of why luck bonuses are amazing is that they are extraordinarily rare so stacking issues are not a thing. Morale is more common so letting them stack would be cooler but probably not bank breaking as long as you keep the "same source not stacking" rule around for them (which you appear to be).

Ieagleroar
2016-12-29, 05:43 AM
Think about it like this:

-Would you rather be the confident man who gets laid all the time, or everybody else who merely gets lucky.

Get good, not lucky (plus it's better on paper)

SangoProduction
2016-12-29, 01:18 PM
Think about it like this:

-Would you rather be the confident man who gets laid all the time, or everybody else who merely gets lucky.

Get good, not lucky (plus it's better on paper)

Better Lucky than Good. WotC even made it a feat.

Telok
2016-12-29, 02:33 PM
Better Lucky than Good. WotC even made it a feat.

And it's a bad feat.

Prerequisite: Level 6, two luck feats

Benefit: If you roll a natural 1 when making an attack roll, you can expend one luck reroll as a swift action to instead treat the roll as a natural 20. You can use this feat once per day. You gain one luck reroll per day

Ieagleroar
2016-12-29, 03:21 PM
And it's a bad feat.

True. Overall, if you want to get chicks you should just play a commoner.

Troacctid
2016-12-29, 03:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0mw1I8e.gif

Inevitability
2016-12-30, 02:15 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Afgncaap5
2016-12-30, 04:44 AM
Well I wasn't expecting that turn, applicable though it may be. Seems pretty unanimous in general. Thanks, all!