PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next I present - The Summoner

Ethambutol
2016-12-29, 06:04 AM
Comments and critiques welcome.

I've always loved pet classes in RPGs and while the UA Beastmaster Ranger makes me happy, having a class solely devoted to a summon mechanic is something I wanted to try to explore. Unfortunately, creating a new class is apparently super hard, but I have finally finished my take on a Summoner class. I've put a lot of thought into this and I'm definitely breaking new ground so there are bound to be some glaring issues.

It's a bit of a read, so thank you very much in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through this.

Without further adieu, I present: The Summoner

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJl1o2bye

Sariel Vailo
2016-12-29, 11:07 AM
i think this will be fun but what about elemental evil like ice knife

Ethambutol
2016-12-29, 06:07 PM
i think this will be fun but what about elemental evil like ice knife

Ah, my apologies, I don't understand the question. I've included some spells from elemental evil, yes. Ice knife is on the Contract of Ice spell list, for instance.

Sariel Vailo
2016-12-29, 08:31 PM
Ah, my apologies, I don't understand the question. I've included some spells from elemental evil, yes. Ice knife is on the Contract of Ice spell list, for instance.

Thank you I wanted to be a ice summoner

Potato_Priest
2016-12-29, 09:32 PM
I'd make the summoned elementals immune to their own damage type.

Also, Summoners shouldn't have to concentrate on their summons. It makes getting hit way too nasty. It also gives an incredible amount of power to the Sleet Storm spell when used vs summoners. If you need to make the summoned critters weaker to counterbalance the lack of concentration, that's fine by me. When I have time, I'll run some damage numbers to see how balanced they are in that regard.

Ethambutol
2016-12-30, 07:53 AM
I'd make the summoned elementals immune to their own damage type.

Also, Summoners shouldn't have to concentrate on their summons. It makes getting hit way too nasty. It also gives an incredible amount of power to the Sleet Storm spell when used vs summoners. If you need to make the summoned critters weaker to counterbalance the lack of concentration, that's fine by me. When I have time, I'll run some damage numbers to see how balanced they are in that regard.

If you'd be willing to crunch some numbers, that'd be great! Thanks kindly.

I don't know about immunity, but I'll definitely make them at least resistant to their damage type, that was an oversight.

With regards to concentration, I've given the summoner a few tools to work with to maintain concentration though. I've given them natural Constitution saving throw proficiency for one, and they also eventually gain the ability to choose to succeed on Concentration saves once per short rest. Plus they have a few summoner points to work with to resummon should they fail their concentration saves in a pinch.

Potato_Priest
2016-12-30, 03:09 PM
Summoners don't seem too bad in the damage department. They are fairly on par with dual wielding creatures through the first few levels, but then tend to sort of fall behind their companions once multiattack and fireball are achieved.

One thing that summoners could use is cantrips. They seem like a class that should get them, as they don't have any class features that encourage them to use weapons, such as the other half-casters, the ranger and paladin.

Potato_Priest
2016-12-30, 03:11 PM
I don't know about immunity, but I'll definitely make them at least resistant to their damage type, that was an oversight.

I don't see why immunity would be so bad. It might allow the summoner to really shine in certain combat encounters, but it makes sense that a creature made of fire wouldn't be bothered in the least by a fireball.

Ethambutol
2016-12-30, 07:22 PM
Summoners don't seem too bad in the damage department. They are fairly on par with dual wielding creatures through the first few levels, but then tend to sort of fall behind their companions once multiattack and fireball are achieved.

One thing that summoners could use is cantrips. They seem like a class that should get them, as they don't have any class features that encourage them to use weapons, such as the other half-casters, the ranger and paladin.

Enchant is a class feature that is cantrip-like and meant to encourage them to use their weapons a bit more. I have actually provided each summoner subclass with a corresponding damaging cantrip already that is supposed to add something to their repertoire that their 'enchanted' weapon can not:

* Fire: Bonfire to give them a resourceless damaging cantrip that uses a saving throw
* Ice: Ray of Frost for some CC
* Lightning: Shocking grasp for escaping and enhancing freedom of mobility
* Force: Sword Burst for an AoE
* Radiant: Sacred flame, again a resourceless damaging cantrip that uses a saving throw
* Necrotic: Chill touch to remove healing for a round.

Potato_Priest
2016-12-30, 07:25 PM
Right. Didn't notice those. Sorry. By level 5, those cantrips are already arguably as good as their weapon attacks, though, and by level 11, they are straight up better, which puts something of an expiration date on the usefulness of Enchant.

Ethambutol
2016-12-31, 06:06 AM
Right. Didn't notice those. Sorry. By level 5, those cantrips are already arguably as good as their weapon attacks, though, and by level 11, they are straight up better, which puts something of an expiration date on the usefulness of Enchant.

No worries! Any suggestions for changes to Enchant then? Enchant will end up much more reliable than cantrip damage due to the +3 to attack rolls so there is still scope for use later on, but am open to changing things. As is, it's basically a better version of the Shillelagh cantrip already.

Even if you don't factor in Enchant's reliability, I think it's still okay as is.

It's obviously better from Level 1-4 than the cantrips. It's comparable from level 5-10 and it's inferior in damage but superior in reliability from 11+, for a level 1 feature I think that's a decent length of relevance.

Ethambutol
2017-01-01, 05:56 AM
Any other comments/critiques?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone would be willing to play test for me as well!

Ethambutol
2017-01-03, 04:18 AM
Changed a few things:

* Base class skill list altered slightly: Deception changed to Performance
* Added in a paragraph in main body of class about Rite of Contracts at 3rd level
* Changed Arcane focus --> Druidic focus to better capture shamanistic feel
* Changed the name of 'Attunement' (7th level ability) --> 'Resonance' to avoid confusion with reference to attuning to magical items
* Added in a Ribbon ability at level 11 - 'Comprehension'
* Added in damage resistance to appropriate damage types to summons
* Changed 'dispel magic' to 'counterspell' in Spirit of Might's Contract spell list
* Minor topographical corrections
* Reaffirmed my suspicions that it is extremely difficult to create a lightning themed spell list

Ethambutol
2017-01-06, 08:09 PM
Minor changes:

* Added duration of fear effect for Blazing Wrath + Ill Omen
* Added duration for War Cry

Would like some feedback regarding the following:

* Damage balance - too much? Too little?
* Some thoughts on the more untested/unprecedented skills/effects: E.g. Emissary, Icy Step, Feed the Flame, Overcharge, Greased Lightning, Entrust, Transposition, Wither.
* Spell list choice. It's not a good spell selection, which is intentional seeing as a large proportion of your spells known come from your Contract.
* Invigoration on a half caster: I've moved it to level 15 for obvious reasons, is it still too powerful? Or relatively okay at such a high level?
* Any other comments welcome
* I realise Enchant intrudes into Magic Weapon territory (though you explicitly can't enchant someone else's weapon). I still don't think it's too powerful a feature, but any suggestions about how to change it if deemed necessary would also be welcome.