PDA

View Full Version : Classes you Love ...or at least find amusing.

SangoProduction
2016-12-29, 12:57 PM
As a counter to the classes you hate, here's one for those you like.

So, I'll start it off with the Sorcerer. Mostly because it's the easiest to be silly with. Sure, you can say "Charisma is force of personality", but screw that. I'm seducing the laws of the universe...now let me go get my makeup on.

Falcon X
2016-12-29, 01:05 PM
Beguiler and Dread Necromancer are probably my favorite ones that I've actually played.
I like the big, set, and themed spell lists.
I like that they are fun from level 1 (I only played levels 1-6).
I like that they are built with a concept and nail it.

Dread Necromancer is fun at every level, and changes from level to level.

OldTrees1
2016-12-29, 01:05 PM
Martial Rogue:

I love the concept of feature and point based progression. If you fix the dead levels of Martial Rogue and provide level appropriate & level worthy content for the bonus feats and skills, then you would have a very nice class.

Dread Necromancer:

I love the concept of a MagicUser being able to be magical and use magic beyond mere casting. The Dread Necromancer is one of the few caster classes with notable class features (besides casting) throughout.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-29, 01:15 PM
Ninja:
I love the fact that I can say "Because I'm a ninja" to my DM when I do unrealistic acts that the class allow me to do.

Kurald Galain
2016-12-29, 01:29 PM
Magus, obviously.

Telonius
2016-12-29, 01:34 PM
Beguiler, Warlock, Bard, and Rogue; because they give various amounts of mechanical support to my favorite sort of character to play.

Particle_Man
2016-12-29, 01:42 PM
Base Classes: Warlock, both for flavour and ease of use. Crusader is a close second.

Prestige Classes: Sapphire Hierarch which is just dripping with flavour and is actually a pretty good caster/multi-class prestige class to boot.

PF: Paladins are fun. Witches are pretty cool.

stanprollyright
2016-12-29, 01:45 PM
Bard. The potential for shenaniganry is far too high

digiman619
2016-12-29, 01:53 PM
I admit, the comic book nerd in me always draws me to the Soulknife. Thankfully, DSP made that viable.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-29, 02:16 PM
Call me a slumlord if you must but I love me some fighter, monk, and 3.5 soulknife (yes, the crap one.)

Don't know if I'd call any of 'em my favorite but all three are way higher on my list than most around here would think they deserve to be on anyone's.

If you push me for an absolute favorite... Probably gonna go with the chamelon PrC... Maybe?? Picking a favorite is hard.

LordOfCain
2016-12-29, 02:32 PM
Warblade. Finally able to play the martial artist able to slice through panels of solid stone, move fast as a racing cheetah, and dish out damage like nobody's business.

Jack_McSnatch
2016-12-29, 03:33 PM
Rogue. I think I've mentioned enjoying playing them a few times. If I'm playing a mundane, it's either going to be this or scout.

Duskblade. Yeah it isn't the best class ever, but the combination of fightyness and just enough magic to be useful, without making others feel useless, makes me gravitate towards them.

And I've recently found myself falling in love with the Spellthief. Sure, as a mundane thief I can inconvenience a wizard by nabbing his spell component pouch, but as a Spellthief I can break into his mind and suck the magic right out, but the fun doesn't stop there. SLAs, energy resistance, even a monsters spell resistance. If psions are a thing, you can multiclass and take the psithief feat, so it works on literally all flavors of caster. Got a warlock problem? Swipe his Eldritch Blast and give him a taste of his own medicine. Psions? Full attack as many times as it takes to rob her of those power points. You can even steal Devotion feats. Sure, their coolest ability is completely situational. If you aren't facing spellcasters, you're basically a crappy rogue. Your worst enemy ever is going to be a horde of martial undead. With no spells to steal and them being immune to SA... Yeah, you're best bet in that scenario is to hide behind the barbarian.

Braininthejar2
2016-12-29, 04:34 PM
I forgot the name, but there is some "priest of a river god" prestige class that can rebuke hippos.

SangoProduction
2016-12-29, 06:19 PM
Call me a slumlord if you must but I love me some fighter, monk, and 3.5 soulknife (yes, the crap one.)

Don't know if I'd call any of 'em my favorite but all three are way higher on my list than most around here would think they deserve to be on anyone's.

If you push me for an absolute favorite... Probably gonna go with the chamelon PrC... Maybe?? Picking a favorite is hard.

Indeed. The underdog effect is very well studied. Didn't expect it to extend to game classes though. Interesting.

Rhyltran
2016-12-29, 06:27 PM
As a counter to the classes you hate, here's one for those you like.

So, I'll start it off with the Sorcerer. Mostly because it's the easiest to be silly with. Sure, you can say "Charisma is force of personality", but screw that. I'm seducing the laws of the universe...now let me go get my makeup on.

Monk. I made a Drow monk and he became my most memorable character. The class itself was fun even if it's BY FAR not one of the top classes. I also enjoyed the challenge of it but made a character who could at least contribute in a meaningful way (12D8 with multiple attacks works well on the damage side of things.) There are certain things I like about the class, multiple attacks, immunity to poison, the fluff, movement bonus and the theme of it. It's just a shame it isn't better built.

Are we somehow related? ;) Soul Knife, Monk, Ranger, and Paladin might be my favorite classes in all of 3.5.

Celestia
2016-12-29, 06:31 PM
I love the Warlock. It's not the most powerful class, sure, but I love the flavor and the mechanics. I love having infinite magic that I can apply liberally rather than hold onto until it's absolutely necessary. It just makes me feel more magical to continuously blast everything I see rather than shooting things with a crossbow and occasionally throwing out a spell or two. Reserve feats do help with that, but casters don't get enough feats for me to sit there taking a bunch for flavor.

I also really like the Master of Many Forms. Or, at least, I like the concept. When I was younger, I read the Animorphs books, and since then, I've always had a fascination with transforming. That's why I homebrewed the MMF into a 20 level base class with at will changing. I bet it would be a blast to play.

Lastly, I really love the fluff behind the Binder. The mechanics of the class are, admittedly, mediocre, but all those Vestiges are way awesome, and I loved reading all of them.

ChaosStar
2016-12-29, 06:37 PM
For flavor, Monk, Soulknife, Hexblade, Swashbuckler, Bard, and Ninja. I also like Scouts and Sorcerers. Paladins are nice if the DM isn't an idiot.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-29, 07:20 PM
Are we somehow related? ;) Soul Knife, Monk, Ranger, and Paladin might be my favorite classes in all of 3.5.

Paladin's good for me too, as long as the DM and I are on the same page. Ranger I'm kinda ambivalent on. I certainly don't dislike it but I just don't find myself drawn to it like the others.

ben-zayb
2016-12-29, 08:09 PM
Definitely Factotum, Beguiler, and Wu Jen. I love that they can do a LOT of things, and of course I love maxing out those INT scores.

Telonius
2016-12-29, 08:33 PM
I forgot the name, but there is some "priest of a river god" prestige class that can rebuke hippos.

That's actually a feat, "Blessed by Tem-et-nu," from Sandstorm. If you ever violate their code, you take damage as though you were bitten by a hippopotamus. (I don't know what substance the writers were consuming when they came up with that, but I'd love to have some). There is a prestige class for the deity as well, Scion of Tem-et-nu.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-29, 08:53 PM
Remembered another one. If the DM is game, a shaman (OA) can be cool. Works best if your ability to deal with spirits is supported -before- spirit ally comes online. Without setting support it's kinda meh.

Remuko
2016-12-29, 10:03 PM
Monk. Its by far my favorite class despite its "mechanical deficiencies". Maybe its the martial arts films I grew up with or the Final Fantasy series Monks or anime like Dragon Ball but I love hand to hand martial arts. I love the fluff and intent behind the class even if it doesn't work out so well normally.