PDA

View Full Version : In what ways does cold resistance translate into tolerance of environmental cold?

MonkeySage
2016-12-29, 02:44 PM
My halfling sorcerer currently has 5 cold resistance, and is set to gain outright immunity to cold in the future.

I know he has a chance of taking no damage from extreme cold now (extreme cold deals 1d6 cold damage), but damage is not the only aspect of extreme cold. How else might his resistance translate in, say, a blizzard, or on a frozen mountain peak?

XionUnborn01
2016-12-29, 02:52 PM
My halfling sorcerer currently has 5 cold resistance, and is set to gain outright immunity to cold in the future.

I know he has a chance of taking no damage from extreme cold now (extreme cold deals 1d6 cold damage), but damage is not the only aspect of extreme cold. How else might his resistance translate in, say, a blizzard, or on a frozen mountain peak?

Page 9 of Frostburn goes into greater detail, but you could survive in any amount of environmental cold with no ill effects. You would only have to worry about things like wind from a blizzard, snow blindness, poor visibility, that kind of thing.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-29, 03:00 PM
Page 9 of Frostburn goes into greater detail, but you could survive in any amount of environmental cold with no ill effects. You would only have to worry about things like wind from a blizzard, snow blindness, poor visibility, that kind of thing.

IIRC, unearthly cold can still damage such a creature but that's when it's so cold out that everybody's taking straight cold damage every round or minute of exposure.

Jowgen
2016-12-29, 03:02 PM
Rules Compendium also has extra detail on it. IIRC, cold resistance 5 protects you fully from everything except "unearthly cold", which is the absolute coldest temperature band. You also need to add something like a Cold Weather Outfit (cheap & easy) to get full protection from that.

MonkeySage
2016-12-29, 03:06 PM
Well, he is quite light after all, lol. Strong enough wind could knock him off his feet... I might get a neat pair of goggles.

John Longarrow
2016-12-29, 03:39 PM
light? Doesn't he carry a lead sheet just to avoid these issues? What kind of halfling doesn't travel around with his or her lead sheet?