PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Melee Shadowcaster Build

Zorikune
2016-12-29, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone, new to the forums, always took a look here on optimization for 3.5 as a guest though. I'm trying to create a Shadowcaster built on melee combat focused with the two mysteries Flicker and Step into Shadows. I tried Rogue 1 / Swordsage 1 / Shadowcaster 13 / Avenger 5 (my guy is neutral good so I used the variant of the assassin), but it kinda felt a bit iffy. So I figured I'd ask to see if there's other ways to improve upon this. :smallsmile:

gorfnab
2016-12-29, 06:13 PM
Creating a melee Shadowcaster can be tricky, however Flicker and Step Into Shadows can be built upon.

Here is a build that would utilize Flicker and Step Into Shadows.
Shadowcaster 8/ Swordsage (ToB) 2/ Telflammar Shadowlord (UE) 6/ Arcane Trickster (advancing Shadowcaster) 4
This build requires Whisper Gnome for race or the Spell Hand feat for Mage Hand prereq of Arcane Trickster (unless the DM allows Umbral Hand to serve as Mage Hand).
Swordsage is there for the access to Assassins Stance (for the sneak attack prereq) and Shadow Jaunt maneuver. Telflammar Shadowlord's fourth level ability is Shadow Pounce. This ability allows you to full attack after using a teleportation effect such as Flicker, Step Into Shadows, Shadow Jaunt, etc. Taking all six levels of Telflammar Shadowlord will let you meet the arcane casting prereqs for Arcane Trickster. Arcane Trickster lets you advance any spellcasting class, not just arcane, which means it can progress Shadowcaster.

Here is another build along the same line. Unfortunately it also has that pesky Mage Hand prereq.
Shadowcaster 5/ Assassin 3/ Noctumancer (ToM) 2/ Arcane Trickster (advancing Shadowcaster) 10.

There are some other options in the Shadowcaster Handbook in my signature.