PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Flanking Tricks?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-29, 08:24 PM
We all know what flanking does. You get a small bonus to attack whenever you're flanking with an ally (or are at least treating your enemy as flanked). It also grants sneak attack, assuming your foe doesn't have uncanny dodge, all-around vision, or the like.

But I was looking at the Dimensional Agility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-agility) line of feats in Pathfinder, and I saw Dimensional Savant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-savant). I got to wondering what tricks could be done with this? Obviously, you can use it to sneak attack a lot of people, including all the oddball things you can do with that (such as Hamstringing them and so on), and getting a small bonus to hit (and giving your allies the same) is also decent.

But I want more than that. Are there any feats and class features that do unusual things to your enemies when they're flanked, or grant you extra (preferably non-numerical) benefits against any enemy you flank? If you can cause flanked enemies to cower on a failed Will save, Dimensional Savant would be the way to do it, I think.

flappeercraft
2016-12-29, 09:19 PM
The feat Vexing Flanking from PHB2 gives an additional +2 bonus against those you flank and Adaptive flanker also from PHB2 allows you to count as if being on any square you threaten for purposes of flanking. In addition the feat Backstab from Dragon Magazine #340 gives you an attack of opportunity 1/round when an opponent you flank attacks someone other than you.

Ieagleroar
2016-12-29, 10:02 PM
Play a Dvati rogue and set up your own flanks for sneak attacks. Take the Penetrating Strike alternate class feature and the Harrier prestige class and go nuts.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-31, 04:25 PM
Play a Dvati rogue and set up your own flanks for sneak attacks. Take the Penetrating Strike alternate class feature and the Harrier prestige class and go nuts.The feat already specifies that you can use teleports to flank with yourself, so no need to be dvati for that (except on the very first attack, unless you are already threatening a creature before teleporting and don't make your first attack until after you've teleported to the other side of it).

[edit] One thing that occurs to me wouldn't be useful for the flanking part of those feats, but it would still be fantastic. Add on things like Circle Kick, Sun School, Snap Kick, and aptitude/Boomerang Ricochet to vastly increase the number of strikes you can make on a single attack action. Optimize your unarmed strikes, and each time you teleport, you can make a large number of attacks against nearby enemies, to the point where you're practically making a full attack (or more). And this is without Teflammar shadowlord.

Sayt
2016-12-31, 05:55 PM
As MaxiDuRaritry mentioned, Sun School is fantastic combined with Dimensional Savant, to the extent that it may be a bit too powerful for some tables (You literally double the number of attacks you make)

The other thing you can do is use Outflank with yourself to generate extra attacks of critical hits (And get the better flank bonus)