PDA

View Full Version : Psionics???

CyberWyld
2007-07-17, 08:26 PM
So I've heard from several that they don't use psionics in their games? Is this because the power point system is just confusing as hell? We use them in our campagins but not with the power point system. In our games Psions function as sorc's, but out of the psion spell listing. It seems to work just fine for us. Has anyone else applied this to their games and see how they like it?

hasta

Matthew
2007-07-17, 08:28 PM
For the most part, people tend to agree that 3.5 Psionics are better balanced than Magic. Personally, I don't use it for the same reasons I don't have Magic in my Sci-Fi.

Lord Tataraus
2007-07-17, 08:32 PM
Interesting....we go the opposite direction, using the spell points variant in Unearthed Arcana. I (as a DM and player) prefer the point-based casting to the slot-based. It allows for more versatility. Of course, I prefer X times per encounter (like maneuvers in ToB) casting above all other forms, but most spells break that system. Of course, we don't use psionics much because the players have not gotten around to playing them, but as a DM I use them.

TheThan
2007-07-17, 08:33 PM
Yup there’s nothing wrong with 3.5 psionics. However I generally don’t use it unless I have a setting that’s set for it.

Raltar
2007-07-17, 08:35 PM
I personally don't use them because I don't feel the fit the overall DnD flavor.

CyberWyld
2007-07-17, 08:36 PM
I love psions, and usually try to find a way to use one of the classes in a build I'm doing. :) I dunno why I like them so much, but we use them alot. I don't see where they don't fit? We play in Ferun and use them everywhere?

Hasta

Kyeudo
2007-07-17, 08:52 PM
The flavor of Psionic Powers is somewhat generic, to make them fit more easily into any game flavor that the DM wants to fit them into. This does leave the names sci-fi-ish, but if you just rename things, Psionics fits fine, flavor wise.

Psions become all the reclusive mystics your world ever needs. Psychic warriors train right alongside monks and a Wilder blow stuff up and get called a Sorcerer. Soulknives are unusual, but most people mistake then for a Figher with a glove of storing and a magic sword.

Psionics fits fine, you just need to mix the flavor in a little.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-17, 09:21 PM
I don't see how psionics wouldn't fit into a fantasy setting. Psionics is just raw internal energy focused and released in the way you want it to be. Really, I don't see much difference between psions and sorcerers; It's both just internal power.

Akennedy
2007-07-17, 09:28 PM
Well, Krimm, The difference of ASF... lol :P, I'm just being a jerk.

I prefer Sorc's though... mostly because there is a LOT books that expand the class, rather than.. what? 2 for Psionics?

Matthew
2007-07-17, 09:28 PM
It is not that Psionics cannot fit into a Fantasy Setting (similarly there's no reason that Magic cannot fit into a Sci Fi Setting), it is just a matter of preference.

Raltar
2007-07-17, 09:31 PM
That and I don't like the artwork in the psionics books.

Mavian
2007-07-17, 09:34 PM
My group didn't touch psionics for the longest time because of how badly it was implemented in AD&D. The memory of that kept us from touching them for the longest time after they came out.

Diggorian
2007-07-17, 09:42 PM
I originally didnt think they would fit the flavor of my setting, being primative by usual D&D standards. Since I now have more lands than magical traditions, and wish to give a distinct mystical flavor to each, I think I will be adding psionics to my world.

Although they'll be tucked far away from most of it. :smalltongue:

Alleine
2007-07-17, 10:32 PM
I think the only reason I'd stop using psionics is because my DM would make me. He makes this face everytime I manifest an energy power that hits all/almost all the baddies... which is every battle.

I love psionics because I'm new and the magic system looked super complicated in comparison, though I envy the extra material magic gets.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-17, 10:46 PM
My use of Psionics was to take the psion class rename and dump the standard sorcerer. This is because I happen to like spell points to represent sorcerous spontaneity as opposed to the rigid spell slots. Soulknifes however seemed like they deserve to be a PrC instead of a class and so don't warrant much respect from me.

kjones
2007-07-17, 10:54 PM
I don't use psionics because I don't own any of the books.

Same reason I don't use ToB classes, Spell Compendium spells, the outer planes...

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-18, 02:05 AM
Interesting....we go the opposite direction, using the spell points variant in Unearthed Arcana. I (as a DM and player) prefer the point-based casting to the slot-based. It allows for more versatility. Of course, I prefer X times per encounter (like maneuvers in ToB) casting above all other forms, but most spells break that system. Of course, we don't use psionics much because the players have not gotten around to playing them, but as a DM I use them.

I thought UA nerfed point base for sorcerers compared to wizards with their fixed known spell lists. Curious do your players normally play sorcerers equally with wizards using point buy?