PDA

View Full Version : The Powers Of Teamwork

Bartmanhomer
2016-12-29, 11:57 PM
Ok I know that this topics discuss about teamwork a lot and sometimes that the party doesn't get along and see eye to eye. Here the fine example of teamwork: In my second D&D game most of my party members were injured during a group of Drow. Everybody was injured except me (I just got lucky.) So I got the Wand of Lesser Vigor and I heal all my party members because I care about my party despite different races and alignment. That's the powers of teamwork. How do you and your party use teamwork?

Koo Rehtorb
2016-12-30, 12:02 AM
The rest of the party will repeatedly get stabbed and die while I run away, bravely using their bodies to shield me from certain doom. Teamwork.

Tzonarin
2016-12-30, 12:59 AM
That's the powers of teamwork. How do you and your party use teamwork?

The best parties get along and complement each other very well. Players won't feel like they have to take powers and abilities of a different class because they're not sure their party is going to back that up. In other words, the fighter does not need to invest in learning how to clear traps because the rogue does this so well. The wizard knows that the barbarian is going to go in like a tank and give him all the time he needs to fire off that monster fireball that will incinerate the BBEG. Parties work together, quest together, and don't have differing motives because they have great party loyalty.

And now, for reality.

Most parties these days are, at best functional. Most of the ones I've seen - dysfunctional. They don't trust each other fully and are operating on rather disparate agendas. The DM has to manage that all important balance of party cohesion versus giving the Players the run of the table. That's NEVER easy.

And one can never force it to happen. Most times, it either does, or it doesn't. RL concerns drag into it too.

But it can be done if the players remember - here to play and have fun. What happens in game is in game, because it's really all about the story.

Tzo

Vitruviansquid
2016-12-30, 01:12 AM
Take any given battle in any given DnD 4e campaign.

There is teamwork or there is death.

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-12-30, 03:16 AM
I was a Dashing Hero Paladin built for max movement speed along with triggering (and punishing) AoOs. One of my party members was a spellcaster focused on short-range explosive novas and infiltration. L

When fighting a mob of enemies I would gradually herd them together, mercilessly harrying anyone out of the main mass of bodies while he got into position to nuke them all, then I'd zip away with him in glorious cooperation.

Slipperychicken
2016-12-30, 04:03 AM
Sometimes in my shadowrun game, my guy shoots things from the window of a car that another PC is driving. Sometimes we might even split the rewards evenly. Teamwork.