PDA

View Full Version : What "Round" of Book 6 are we on?

Procyonpi
2016-12-30, 02:46 AM
Like they're divided in the print editions.
So Far I count 5:
1: Intro / Airship stuff
2. Tinkertown
3. Godsmoot
4. O-Chul + Lein / Team Evil
5. Battle with Giants

Thoughts?

TheNecrocomicon
2016-12-30, 10:25 AM
I guess that's roughly fair, though really there have been bigger and smaller arcs or "rounds" if people prefer. (And now I have the mental image of Haley facing off against Golem-Crystal with a Mortal Kombat-esque "ROUND ONE, FIGHT!" echoing over it.)

The first arc of the book can roughly be getting to Tinkertown in one piece, which is part of the HPoH's (I call him "Lurkon") efforts to secure passage to the Godsmoot and influence the vote there, culminating in the fight between him and Roy. Haley's battle against Crystal, while a necessary resolution to their personal storyline, was a short diversion from that.

Once the Godsmoot was done, a new arc started with the Order travelling to stop Lurkon & Spawn from wreaking havoc in the dwarven lands, part of which has been this battle against the frost giants. The shift to the North was another short diversion, but a necessary one, to show us what Team Evil were up to, what Lien and O-Chul's status was, and convey that Team Evil will be occupied for a while.

So really, I see there as having been two main arcs in the book so far, with each one being punctuated in the middle with a short secondary plot of sorts. Mind you, the segment about the events at Kraagor's Tomb actually has longer-term implications, but the overall plot of this book is stopping Lurkon, rather than the broader overall goal of the Order of ultimately stopping Xykon and saving the world.

Darth Paul
2016-12-30, 04:00 PM
I agree with TheNecronomicon (also, Yog Sothoth Neblod Zin, my friend!). The books tend to be divided into 5 or 6 rounds total, and OP has proposed 5 rounds just getting this far. It "feels like" we're about 1/3 through, at most. I can see two rounds completed at most, with the action currently in mid-Round Three. Getting to Tinkertown could conceivably be staged as a prologue, too, with the investigations there and the fight against Crystal Golem as Round One.

Kurald Galain
2016-12-30, 05:38 PM

I would say
1. Intro and Tinkertown
2. The Godsmoot
(interlude) O-Chul and Lien
3. Travel to Firmament

ella ventic
2016-12-30, 06:31 PM
...The books tend to be divided into 5 or 6 rounds total...

DCF: 5 rounds
NCftPB: 9 rounds plus an epilogue
WaXPs: 8 rounds
DStP: 9 rounds
BRitF: 10 rounds

I agree with the guess that we're in the 4th or 5th round at present, and also the guess that we're on track for a 10-round book or so. Not far off the norm.

Yendor
2016-12-30, 06:37 PM
We're already 115 strips into the book, so assuming the last book was unusually long, we're well past half-way through. I'd say eight or nine rounds total, and I agree with the OP's division of the story so far.

littlebum2002
2016-12-30, 07:40 PM
We're already 115 strips into the book, so assuming the last book was unusually long, we're well past half-way through. I'd say eight or nine rounds total, and I agree with the OP's division of the story so far.

While this certainly makes me hopeful, I'm not sure this is a great assumption to make. Rich has guaranteed that the story will be finished in two books, which means they're going to probably be REALLY long books. I'd bet they're both closer to 300 than to 200.

Ruck
2016-12-31, 02:15 AM
So Far I count 5:
1: Intro / Airship stuff
2. Tinkertown
3. Godsmoot
4. O-Chul + Lein / Team Evil
5. Battle with Giants

Thoughts?

That sounds right to me; I'd guess 8 or 9 "rounds" for this book. There's at least the showdown with Durkon and the denouement; there may be an interlude back at Kraagor's gate, another round with the Order before or after the conflict with Durkon (if, for example, it doesn't take place at Firmanent), or both. Or something else.

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-12-31, 12:32 PM
I'm guessing that there have been 4-5 rounds so far, with the Intro and Tinketown possibly being one, then the Godsmoot, then the scene at the Gate, and where we are now. I'm also guessing that we're also a little less than half way through the 6th book.