PDA

View Full Version : Races that boost dexterity

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-30, 04:18 AM
I'm working on a build that will rely on dex and i can't find any really good dex bonuses

what i can play with:
lvl 7 but see below
there is an auto +3 la byoff that will be aplied to the character.the same with CR bonus

i was first thinking
Elan air elemental creature
which gave a +6 to dex and a -2 to cha, but that left me with a +1la which is not good enough

...Help? thank you in advance

Thaneus
2016-12-30, 05:31 AM
One of the best Races is Petal from MMIII:
Str -8 Dex +10 Con +4 Int +4 Wis +0 Cha +8 with LA+2 (cohort; if the DM allows it its valid :P) as size Tiny. Add in a Darkcreature Template (no Dex here but very good stuff like HiPS ex bonus speed 10' to movement, Darkvision...) for good sneak combo

John Longarrow
2016-12-30, 06:06 AM
What are you trying to build that is massively dex-centric?

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-30, 06:53 AM
What are you trying to build that is massively dex-centric?
should have mentioned this in the intro:
i would like as many travel power uses from the jaunter class i will being going into
i would like to have a high dex because he character would be most likely using a weapon Finesse weapons
i also would like to have a hgh dex so i can have a high reflex, attack, and ac, when the character goes into epic it will also gain reflex to fort and will
Also combat reflexes is limited by dex

i do like the idea of Incarnate construct, petal.

Maybe i could do something like this

Dust-form, Incarnate construct, Ghul, wendigo petal
which nets me str +2, dex+18, con+6, int+4, wis+6, Cha +12
then my classes will be
Rouge6, Jaunter4, Avenging Executioner 5, Disple of Dispater5

Ruethgar
2016-12-30, 08:08 AM
Unseelie Fey can get you another +2 for 0 LA. Also note that Devil Bloodline3/Martial Monk 2 can get you into Jaunter at ECL 3 unless your DM rules against RAW on Bloodlines(completely reasonable that they would). But still, you want to take the Bloodline anyway. Devil Bloodline 3/Martial Monk 2/Jaunter 4/Uncanny Trickster 3/X 11

You could go Legacy Champion, but Uncanny Trickster is thematically appropriate for a Jaunter already and gets you to effective Jaunter level of 9 or 12 depending on DM ruling with Bloodlines and Uncanny Trickster. At any rate, it doubles your travel power before Dex.

Rebel7284
2016-12-30, 12:19 PM
Huh, I never noticed that Jaunter could be entered at level 2. Of course, easier with Flaws due to the feat tax x3. Roleplaying traveling the planes at level 1 IS slightly awkward though.

Edit: Human Cobra-Style Monk 1/Jaunter 4 seems like a fun build to play. Teleporting at level 4 and planeshifting at level 5 would be a pretty unusual but cool campaign.
Edit2: Never mind, wrong Knowledge skill. Doesn't work with Monk 1.
Edit3: Martial Conjurer 1/Jaunter 4 would work however, and be super-flavorful with Abrupt Jaunt.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-30, 02:33 PM
Unseelie Fey can get you another +2 for 0 LA. Also note that Devil Bloodline3/Martial Monk 2 can get you into Jaunter at ECL 3 unless your DM rules against RAW on Bloodlines(completely reasonable that they would). But still, you want to take the Bloodline anyway. Devil Bloodline 3/Martial Monk 2/Jaunter 4/Uncanny Trickster 3/X 11

You could go Legacy Champion, but Uncanny Trickster is thematically appropriate for a Jaunter already and gets you to effective Jaunter level of 9 or 12 depending on DM ruling with Bloodlines and Uncanny Trickster. At any rate, it doubles your travel power before Dex.

Huh, I never noticed that Jaunter could be entered at level 2. Of course, easier with Flaws due to the feat tax x3. Roleplaying traveling the planes at level 1 IS slightly awkward though.

Edit: Human Cobra-Style Monk 1/Jaunter 4 seems like a fun build to play. Teleporting at level 4 and planeshifting at level 5 would be a pretty unusual but cool campaign.
Edit2: Never mind, wrong Knowledge skill. Doesn't work with Monk 1.
Edit3: Martial Conjurer 1/Jaunter 4 would work however, and be super-flavorful with Abrupt Jaunt.

i do not see how any of these qualify due to the fact that you need the spring attack feat which has a req of BAB +4

Ruethgar
2016-12-30, 02:54 PM
i do not see how any of these qualify due to the fact that you need the spring attack feat which has a req of BAB +4

Monk bonus feats explicitly do not require that you meet the prerequisites. Martial Monk lets you pick your bonus feats from the Fighter list.

So with flaws:
Flaw: Dodge
Flaw: Mobility
First: Education
Monk: Spring Attack

That can get you in at level 2, but Education is even more of a feat tax which is why I suggested a Bloodline which would remove two feats from that equation at no cost by RAW but ask your DM on his ruling.

Another way, 3.0 content and would almost certainly be blocked, some Awakened Animals can start at ECL 0 with 3 BaB so just another Full BaB and you qualify.

As to the traveling the planes bit, if you were Incarnum before birth you could have been anywhere. Also, less cheesy, everyone travels to their Dreamscapes, so really you only need 1 other plane and there are some cheap ways to go Ethereal for a few rounds.

Rebel7284
2016-12-30, 03:32 PM

Oh! That's where the secret requirement is hiding.

Monk bonus feats explicitly do not require that you meet the prerequisites. Martial Monk lets you pick your bonus feats from the Fighter list.

So with flaws:

That can get you in at level 2, but Education is even more of a feat tax which is why I suggested a Bloodline which would remove two feats from that equation at no cost by RAW but ask your DM on his ruling.

Another way, 3.0 content and would almost certainly be blocked, some Awakened Animals can start at ECL 0 with 3 BaB so just another Full BaB and you qualify.

As to the traveling the planes bit, if you were Incarnum before birth you could have been anywhere. Also, less cheesy, everyone travels to their Dreamscapes, so really you only need 1 other plane and there are some cheap ways to go Ethereal for a few rounds.

This works with a permissive DM. Another similarly cheesy thing would be becoming infected with Lyconthropy for the extra BAB and then curing it once you self-qualify with enough Jaunter levels.

Calthropstu
2016-12-30, 03:35 PM
I would think the 800 meter hurdle would help with dexterity...

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-30, 04:29 PM

So with flaws:

Why do i need the feat Education? Planar monk Skill Sub to get K the planes?
LVL2!!!!
wow so i can just do this

Monk1/Devil bloodline1/Jaunter3/Devil bloodline+2/Jaunter+1/Uncanny trickster3/Legacy Champion 9

my Legacy Weapon would be.... a Quarterstaff. i can see it now... Walking stick of the Planer Trickster...

as for qualifying for the 2 more planes
Nine hells: because i was in a monastery that had a portal to this plane were devils trained them
Mechanus: same reason as Nine hells

Xervous
2016-12-30, 07:18 PM
I feel this build would be wonderful with a bit of Telflammar Shadowlord sprinkled on top. 4 Levels if you just want shadow pounce, a 5th for the reflex save to cheat death. Some limited use teleporation and spell casting comes along, but the real gem you'd be after is Shadow Pounce. In short: you teleport and have line of sight on your target before the 'port, you get a full attack on arrival.

You have nearly all the requirements to hit telflammar shadowlord with the build as is. Depending on how tolerant you are of using items to qualify you could use a ToB Shadow Hands item to pick up assassin's stance for the sneak attack component. Blind fight would be the only other buy in after the skill reqs are met.

Additionally:

With how hard you are pouring on the Dex it would be a shame if you didn't grab Shadow Blade for dex to damage, another point in favor of getting Assassin's Stance by some means - and then it's just another feat tossed upon four levels to net shadow pounce.

Thurbane
2016-12-30, 07:38 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Catfolk. +4 Dex for +1 LA, leaving you another +2 LA for templates.

Ruethgar
2016-12-30, 07:56 PM
Why do i need the feat Education? Planar monk Skill Sub to get K the planes?
LVL2!!!!

The Martial Monk is an Alternate Base Class not an Alternate Class Feature and thus may not qualify to be a Planar Monk. Furthermore, Planar Monks only gain Knowledge(Planes) when you sub a level(minimum 5), before then you get nothing.

Rebel7284
2016-12-31, 12:15 AM
Also,

Golden Dancing Pegleg Graft (Sprint Attack + Mobility)
55.000 gp
Dragon 318 p. 54

Monkey Head Talisman (Sprint Attack + Deflect Arrows + Stunning Fist)
128.000 gp
Dragon 351 p. 49

Now to get 55,000GP, which is almost all of level 11 WBL, as a level one character is a whole different challenge.

Crake
2016-12-31, 01:53 AM
should have mentioned this in the intro:
i would like as many travel power uses from the jaunter class i will being going into
i would like to have a high dex because he character would be most likely using a weapon Finesse weapons
i also would like to have a hgh dex so i can have a high reflex, attack, and ac, when the character goes into epic it will also gain reflex to fort and will
Also combat reflexes is limited by dex

i do like the idea of Incarnate construct, petal.

Maybe i could do something like this

Dust-form, Incarnate construct, Ghul, wendigo petal
which nets me str +2, dex+18, con+6, int+4, wis+6, Cha +12
then my classes will be
Rouge6, Jaunter4, Avenging Executioner 5, Disple of Dispater5

Uh... so that race isn't exactly possible. Ghul is an inherited template which cannot be applied to fey, dustform petal into incarnate construct works though, and then wendigo added last, but even then you still come out with an LA of 6, (2 from petal, 2 from dustform, -2 from incarnate construct, 4 from wendigo). If you COULD have had ghul in there, it would have been even higher, at 9 LA. Considering you get 3 free LA, that still would have left you with 3 LA using a legal build, or 6 if you had thrown in ghul anyway.