PDA

View Full Version : Sinestro Corps

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-17, 09:17 PM
so, is...uh...anyone thinking that the DCU is in trouble here? I mean, they've got Parallax (poor Kyle), Superboy-Prime...uh...Cyborg Superman...with...10 power rings?!? :eek: Not to mention the new Anti-Monitor...

Tallis
2007-07-17, 09:59 PM
Yeah, they may have overdone it a bit on this one.

sealemon
2007-07-17, 10:04 PM
Awww, crap. What did they do to Whipping Boy, I mean, Kyle, this time?

It does sound a little over the top.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-17, 10:42 PM
Awww, crap. What did they do to Whipping Boy, I mean, Kyle, this time?

took away his Ion powers (explained as coming from a benign parasite similar to Parallax) and infected him with Parallax. Poor bugger.

Gavin Sage
2007-07-17, 10:50 PM
Anyone find it sad that a single splash page at the end of the Sinestro Corps Special completely out does two months of Countdown, and possibly Infinite Crisis while were at it?

Yeah DCU is soooooooooo screwed at the moment. And I love it.

ravenkith
2007-07-18, 09:05 AM
Are you kidding me?

They haven't even gotten started yet.

You've got three factions in this war of the worlds: The Guardians, The Qwaardians, and the Zamorans.

Each of them has a corps (or it's been hinted at) of followers who they've armed with incredible powers: One powered by will, one by fear, and one by love.

The Green Lanterns and the Sinestro Corps are going at it right now, and that's pretty cool...but just wait 'til all three factions start getting into it!

Blue Paladin
2007-07-18, 11:19 AM
With Hal gone bad we had Sinestro gone good. With Hal gone good we have Kyle gone bad. With Kyle gone bad, we must have Nero gone good. Therefore Ion will bond with Alexander Nero.

At last, the cycle of stupidity will be complete.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-18, 12:52 PM
With Hal gone bad we had Sinestro gone good. With Hal gone good we have Kyle gone bad. With Kyle gone bad, we must have Nero gone good. Therefore Ion will bond with Alexander Nero.

At last, the cycle of stupidity will be complete.

umm...what? When Hal went bad, he killed Sinestro (well, until Rebirth retconned that).

Blue Paladin
2007-07-18, 03:49 PM
True. I never said Sinestro went good for very long. Less than three pages, IIRC.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-19, 09:33 AM
I think it's time for a 'in case of fire, break glass' solution.

Take Superman (Martian Manhunter would work as well).
Give him a Green Lantern ring (or the Ion entity). Superman was the first choice for an Earth GL, and prophasized to be the greatest of all time.
See if you can talk Marvel into giving him the Shazam lightning.
Get Martian Manhunter to telepathically copy Batman's fighting skills and Hal Jordan's GL experience for him.
???
Profit

ravenkith
2007-07-19, 09:43 AM
The ultimate in Mary Sues.

GoC
2007-07-19, 10:15 AM
so, is...uh...anyone thinking that the DCU is in trouble here? I mean, they've got Parallax (poor Kyle), Superboy-Prime...uh...Cyborg Superman...with...10 power rings?!? :eek: Not to mention the new Anti-Monitor...

The worst part is that despite all this the villains will still lose talking down noi more than one big name with them.:smallannoyed:

Any of those four can take on the entire GL corps singlehandedly (superboy-prime and the anti-monitor already have) while another one takes out Earth's superheroes.
Anyone know what's the order in terms of power of those four?
AFAIK:
Anti-Monitor
Superboy-Prime
Parallax
Cyborg+10 GL rings

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-19, 12:43 PM
The worst part is that despite all this the villains will still lose talking down noi more than one big name with them.:smallannoyed:

Any of those four can take on the entire GL corps singlehandedly (superboy-prime and the anti-monitor already have) while another one takes out Earth's superheroes.
AFAIK:
Anti-Monitor
Superboy-Prime
Parallax
Cyborg+10 GL rings
On the plus side, Superboy doesn't have a ring, so he can't shield himself from kryptonite or red sun radiation generated by GLs. Cyborg can protect himself, though. I don't know what Parallax's base bower level when possessing a normal human is.

new1965
2007-07-19, 03:32 PM
On the plus side, Superboy doesn't have a ring, so he can't shield himself from kryptonite or red sun radiation generated by GLs. Cyborg can protect himself, though. I don't know what Parallax's base bower level when possessing a normal human is.

Actually... Superboy-Prime shouldn't be vulnerable to any Kryptonite from this universe (that is, if the writes remember that Kryptonite from another reality doesn't effect a "Superman") and there is no Kryptonite from his. That just leaves red sun radiation and hes got a suit to protect him from that

To make it worse, hes got Silver age level powers

It could be worse though.... they could have recruited Black Adam and gave him a yellow ring

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-19, 03:56 PM
A GL could generate kryptonite radiation. It's canon.

UglyPanda
2007-07-19, 05:04 PM
Only kryptonite from a character's native universe has an effect on them. Since Earth-Prime is no more,The alternate universes unleashed in 52 aren't the original alternate Earths, they're simply similar. there is no kryptonite to stop Superboy-prime nor would any of the Green Lanterns know how to make kryptonite from Earth-prime.

Parallax, Hank Henshaw with GL rings, Superboy-prime, and the freaking Anti-monitor? It's an unbelievable amount of overkill right there which can only mean invocation of the law of inverse ninja. The Sinestro Corps looked badass enough with Sinestro as the only powerhouse (His new outfit looks much better, by the way). I really want to see how all it turns out.

new1965
2007-07-19, 05:12 PM
even if earth-prime still existed there would be no kryptonite available. That universe's Krypton fell into its sun instead of exploding.

No exploding Krypton means no kryptonite

talsine
2007-07-19, 05:48 PM
i just wanted to thank you all for reminding my i don't read DC comics anymore. Man, and to think, i was gonna start reading the new(ish) Aquaman and JLA. Now i know to stay away.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-19, 07:04 PM
anything with Grant Morrison or Mark Waid is likely to be good. The guy doing the JLA series also did Identity Crisis, which was supposed to be pretty good.

Beleriphon
2007-07-20, 01:21 PM
anything with Grant Morrison or Mark Waid is likely to be good. The guy doing the JLA series also did Identity Crisis, which was supposed to be pretty good.

Identity Crisis was quite good, excepting certain things (Dr Light did what now?), so I think this should be interesting at least.

I hate to say it but DC as a universe handles these huge villain team ups better than Marvel, if only because it has that level of power built into its characters right from the get go.

Tirian
2007-07-20, 02:00 PM
I hate to say it but DC as a universe handles these huge villain team ups better than Marvel, if only because it has that level of power built into its characters right from the get go.

When it's on Earth, I agree. But when the GLC winds up fighting some cosmic universe-ending terror that has been sleeping for billions of years (which they seem to have been doing on a nearly annual basis for the past decade), it's bleh. I mean, look at Recharge. They're losing the fight for a while, and then someone gives a pep talk saying "You really really want to win, but now you have to really really really want to win!" and then they've got the will to overcome the enemy.

The idea has promise. I want to track down Batman being offered a power ring that would amplify the fear he causes in street criminals. But when it gets around to a "climax" of Superman with a GL ring fighting Hank Henshaw with ten, we're right back to the same boringness of watching two omnipotent immortal people trying to kill each other.

2007-07-21, 04:39 PM
Uh...what?

The Anti-Monitor is back?

Didn't it take three supermen to beat him the first time? Isn't one of those supermen dead the other other evil?

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-21, 07:06 PM
Uh...what?

The Anti-Monitor is back?

Didn't it take three supermen to beat him the first time? Isn't one of those supermen dead the other other evil?

no, it took the entire DC multiverse to beat him. Personally, I think this will lead to one of two things:

the meeting of the present and future (current Legion of Super-Heroes) since Mark Waid said it "will be big" or the multiverse being discovered and teaming up to fight the Sunestro Corps.

Blue Paladin
2007-07-23, 11:09 AM
AFAIK:
Anti-Monitor
Superboy-Prime
Parallax
Cyborg+10 GL rings
I'm thinking Anti-Monitor > Parallax > Superboy-Prime > Cyborg+10 GL Rings

I only put Superboy-Prime down in third because he's starting over from scratch; he doesn't have his old Silver Age levels of power. He lost all that lovely yellow sun radiation after going through that red sun. Otherwise, those 50 GLs wouldn't have a prayer of holding him, even with the little red sun-eater there. So he shouldn't have much more power right now than, say, Supergirl (who is plenty strong enough, really).

Parallax possessing a normal human? You know, Hal's a normal human too. He didn't seem to have much trouble with the omnipotence when he was Parallax. Kyle as Parallax has the same power and orders of magnitude more imagination. I'm actually half-serious about the "give Nero a ring" counter to Kyllax. Nero's insanity at least gives him a chance.

There's no way Henshaw can "take on the entire GL corps singlehandedly"; he was defeated by a mere handful of GLs. Those stolen GL Rings didn't help him very much (even with Manhunter backup), and that was only against Hal Jordan and the Lost. He doesn't deserve to be on the same level as those other three.

Anti-Monitor... When I saw those Monitors show up, I knew this guy couldn't be far behind. It does beg the question though, if there are many Monitors running around, are there also multiple Anti-Monitors?

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-23, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking Anti-Monitor > Parallax > Superboy-Prime > Cyborg+10 GL Rings

I only put Superboy-Prime down in third because he's starting over from scratch; he doesn't have his old Silver Age levels of power. He lost all that lovely yellow sun radiation after going through that red sun. Otherwise, those 50 GLs wouldn't have a prayer of holding him, even with the little red sun-eater there. So he shouldn't have much more power right now than, say, Supergirl (who is plenty strong enough, really). But he has the potential to build back up to that level, and all those yellow rings should be easily able to generate enough Yellow Sun radiation to speed up the process.

Parallax possessing a normal human? You know, Hal's a normal human too. He didn't seem to have much trouble with the omnipotence when he was Parallax. Kyle as Parallax has the same power and orders of magnitude more imagination. I'm actually half-serious about the "give Nero a ring" counter to Kyllax. Nero's insanity at least gives him a chance. But Hal had absorbed all the power from the Central Power Battery at the time (and in Rebirth, he was the Specter. And Gathet "could crack a planet in half with a thought," in Kyle's words. The Ion entity giving Kyle his power was forced out.

There's no way Henshaw can "take on the entire GL corps singlehandedly"; he was defeated by a mere handful of GLs. Those stolen GL Rings didn't help him very much (even with Manhunter backup), and that was only against Hal Jordan and the Lost. He doesn't deserve to be on the same level as those other three. Hank's a dangerous villain. He's got full Kryptonian powers (sans the breath weapons and possibly a bit more vulnerable), remember, and he can control machines and shapeshift his mechanical parts. And with those rings, he can probably block Kryptonite and red sun radiation.

Anti-Monitor... When I saw those Monitors show up, I knew this guy couldn't be far behind. It does beg the question though, if there are many Monitors running around, are there also multiple Anti-Monitors?
While I doubt he's at full Crisis on Infinite Earths power levels, he's still very dangerous. And I also think he's the only one. My guess (entirely based on speculation) is that the anti-matter universe and the Fourth World are in parallel dimensions. Like, you'd have the 52 universes arranged in a ring. Inside would be the Fourth World and outside the Anti-Matter universe. But that's just a guess.

PsyBlade
2007-07-23, 07:13 PM
Anti-Monitor is nothing more than one of the 52 Monitors. His name is just so that everyone understands that he is not a good guy like the other Monitors are.

Back on topic, this does not bode well for our heroes.

Gavin Sage
2007-07-23, 08:03 PM
Technically that hasn't been established. The anti-matter universe is as described not New Earth nor an Earth 1-51. Thus the Anti-Monitor is not directly connected to the Monitors.

Scientivore
2007-07-23, 08:10 PM
Anti-Monitor is nothing more than one of the 52 Monitors. His name is just so that everyone understands that he is not a good guy like the other Monitors are.

His Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Monitor) (or at least its current version (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Anti-Monitor&oldid=146440691)) says that he's the Monitor of an anti-matter universe that was created by an Oan named Krona accidentally changing the creation of the universe by looking back in time to observe it. It also says that he's absorbed entire universes. However, it doesn't cite any specific issues to back up those claims. For all I know, that might only be fanon. *shrug*

Gavin Sage
2007-07-23, 08:17 PM
Thing is the Anti-matter universe is a 53rd world, the black mirror of New Earth while New Earth is the keystone of the multiverse made up of Earths 1-51.

What Anti-Monitor of the Sinestro Corps knows of the Anti-Monitor of COIE (born out of Krona's experiment) or otherwise has yet to be establish

Tirian
2007-07-23, 09:02 PM
His Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Monitor) (or at least its current version (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Anti-Monitor&oldid=146440691)) says that he's the Monitor of an anti-matter universe that was created by an Oan named Krona accidentally changing the creation of the universe by looking back in time to observe it. It also says that he's absorbed entire universes. However, it doesn't cite any specific issues to back up those claims. For all I know, that might only be fanon. *shrug*

I don't recall any mention of an anti-Monitor at the time, but the whole bit about Krona screwing up the universe by watching its creation is from Ganthet's Tale.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-23, 09:43 PM

I don't recall any mention of an anti-Monitor at the time, but the whole bit about Krona screwing up the universe by watching its creation is from Ganthet's Tale.

don't you people know your DC history? (no offense). Crisis on Infinite Earths, baby. Anti-Monitor destroyed innumerable parallel universes and absorbed large amounts of his own anti-matter universe to face the assembled might of just about every super-hero in the DCU. At once.

UglyPanda
2007-07-23, 10:12 PM
If this is a new anti-monitor, then he's just another monitor out of 52. If he is the anti-monitor resurrected, then New Earth should be screwed. Should be, not could be. DC always has happy endings, despite insurmountable odds. The method by which he acquired his strength was by destroying all but five of the Earths in the multiverse and absorbing their power.

During infinite crisis, Superboy-prime was literally tossing around planets. In order to defeat him, Earth-Two Superman and Post-Crisis Superman had to fly him through a red star, an event which not only led to the death of Earth-Two Superman, but an extended period of powerlessness for Post-Crisis Superman.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-07-24, 09:05 AM
I don't think the Anti-Monitor is just another of the 52, since the Anti-matter universe existed for a long time after CoIE and before IC.

Blue Paladin
2007-07-24, 10:49 AM
[Anti-Monitor's] name is [different] just so that everyone understands that he is not a good guy like the other Monitors are.I've yet to see any "good" actions from the other Monitors. So far I've seen voting against casual murder, ignoring the vote and perpetrating casual murder, and temporarily putting a stop to other casual murders.

I haven't seen terribly much out of them that says, "Hey look at me! I'm a good guy!"

Gavin Sage
2007-07-24, 05:56 PM
Well waaay back when the original Monitor was introduced pre-COIE and people thought him to be just a Uatu rip, he was a villain. The Monitors just ascribe to the omelette & eggs way of thinking, which is consistent more or less with the original. They ulitmately want to preserve the multiverse, where the classic Anti-Monitor wanted it destroyed. Its like Lawful Neutral versus Chaotic Evil where the Monitors are LN. How the revived one relates to Anti-Monitor of COIE is not quite established.

2007-07-24, 06:27 PM
If this Anti-Monitor is the same as the original AM, then everyone needs to stop worrying about Superboy and Cyborg and wtf ever else.

Anti-Monitor is bad.

Gavin Sage
2007-07-26, 02:11 AM
Oh yes the Anti-Monitor is about as big as you can get in the bad news department for the DCU.

Which probably has something to do with why (from what I gather) response to the Sinestro Corps has been positive. I think its tapped into something people unconciously wanted Infinite Crisis to be like, help along with Countdown not living up to 52s mantle.

Though moving along, anyone go out and buy Green Lantern Corps today? I much enjoyed it.