PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/best sword and board based classes

poolio
2016-12-30, 11:45 AM
So just like the title says, what are some of your favorite builds that focus on sword and board? Battlefield control and support Battlemaster?
The ever tanky Eldritch knight?
Or perhaps a shield master Rogue, shoving folks to get that sweet advantage for sneak attack? :smallsmile:

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 11:49 AM
So just like the title says, what are some of your favorite builds that focus on sword and board? Battlefield control and support Battlemaster?
Or perhaps a shield master Rogue, shoving folks to get that sweet advantage for sneak attack? :smallsmile:

I'm currently playing a Moiuntain Dwarf Sword and Board with a Spiked Maul that gives an extra +2 Bleed Damage per turn and an enchanted shield that sprouts wings once every two days.

I am going to go for the Battle Master, solely for Riposte, Trip and possibly Goading Attack

pcamp88
2016-12-30, 09:59 PM
I usually prefer playing sword & board over two handers with melee classes in general, I just like the flavor more. I've done a Battlemaster, Oath of Vengeance Paladin and a Totem Barbarian all with the Shield Master feat and had a ton of fun with each of them. Barbs are especially good with the bonus action shove from Shield Master due to having advantage on STR checks while raging.

Potato_Priest
2016-12-30, 11:46 PM
I've always wanted to do a sword and board duelist ranger. I haven't yet, though.

djreynolds
2016-12-31, 02:04 AM
I like any rogue/fighter, shield master and athletics is too sweet together. Battlemaster or champion workout great.

Also that fighter scout archetype coupled with a rogue and shield master, you can add your SD to your already huge athletics roll, so unless you are larger than large you are prone.

X3r4ph
2016-12-31, 05:18 AM
I have too been contemplating a Fighter Rogue. However, I have been considering the Samurai and the Mastermind Arcehetypes. With the Protection fighting style.

My Action would go into hard hits with advantage and sneak attack. Possible with a shortsword... Phalanx style.
My Bonus action eould go into giving advantage to my allies thanks to Mastermind.
My Reaction would go into giving disadvantage to enemies thanks to Protection FS.

Also, for 6 turns/ish I would be tough with Samurai Resistance.

After Fighter 5/Rouge 3 I would continue with Forge Cleric. Get me some more AC, more damage, more buff for my allies.

Lombra
2016-12-31, 06:54 AM
Fighter 1/ bladelock X

Heavy armor, shield, longsword.
Shield master
Full power of warlock's spell list, hex galore.

And spit on that eldritch knight.

Gastronomie
2016-12-31, 07:23 AM
Sorcadin.

It really is hilarious to play.

Citan
2017-01-01, 05:27 AM
Paladin, Barbarian or Fighter with a 1-3 dip in Rogue for Expertise for builds that work and are actually buildable.
Barbarian: may be overkill since you have Reckless Attack, but shoving also benefits your allies, and you do not lose Unarmored Defense so it may be a good choice still. And raging provides advantage on your Shove.
Fighter: 3 attacks, usually no use for bonus action, so Shield Master is the perfect addition here.
Paladin: extra tankiness (heavy armor + potentially Shield of Faith), Protection style goes well with Devotion or Ancients fluff, and Shield Master can be a good addition if you want to help your allies or just don't usually use smite spells.

As for the "best" theorycraft build around Shield Master (at least one of) and more usually use of a shield, it would probably be...
Battlemaster Fighter 12+: 3 attacks per Attack, Protection style, ASI, Sentinel, manoeuvers.
Rogue 1-2+: Expertise on Athletics and Acrobatics (so yourself are totally protected against it), Cunning Action for when you prefer Dashing.
Barbarian Bear 3: advantage on STR checks, resistance to all damage.
Big advantage of this one is that you get enough ASI to do what you want.

Or on a Paladin chassis
Crown (or Devotion) Paladin 6+: nice spells, proficiencies, Protection, etc
Swashbuckler 3: expertise, +CHA on initiative
Draconic Sorcerer 6: AC 13+DEX (if DEX base), weapon cantrips, more slots, Shield, Mirror Image, Haste.
Fighter 2: Constitution saving throw proficiency, Action Surge, Mariner Fighting Style.
Big advantage of this build is better burst damage, drawback is lesser ASI and no advantage on Shove.