PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if the multiclassing restrictions were removed?

Sans.
2016-12-30, 01:43 PM
Title says it all.

Toadkiller
2016-12-30, 01:47 PM
There would be even more warlock dips.

More seriously, you would be playing a different game with less intrinsic balancing. It would likely still be fine, but someone who really wanted to geek out and build an uber character would have an easier time doing so. That would be exactly as much of a problem as the group was willing to allow it to be.

Naanomi
2016-12-30, 02:02 PM
More Dex-Paladins would appear,

More dipping would occur... warlock as mentioned but also I'd guess ranger... and just generally more 'dipping' builds all around

tieren
2016-12-30, 02:07 PM
I also think you would end up with people not being qualified to do the things their class does.

Like a wizard with 8 strength dipping fighter just to get action surge but having no practical fighting or athletic ability.

D.U.P.A.
2016-12-30, 02:19 PM
You can still dip fighter with 8 str wizard, because you probably have more than 13 dex.

N810
2016-12-30, 02:24 PM
Action surge for everyone !

JellyPooga
2016-12-30, 03:00 PM
What would happen?

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN!?!

THE WORLD WOULD EXPLODE!!!1!!!

No, seriously. The world would end...
...and in the real world, nothing much to be fair. Yes, there would be some few players that would take dips in "off" Classes as others have suggested, but on the whole if you're dipping a Class, you probably want to have the requisite Ability Score(s) anyway.

I predict the most common dip would be Rogue for Expertise without needing that 13 in Dex.

Gignere
2016-12-30, 03:04 PM
Action surge for everyone !

You'll get more wizard dips. To get their awesome buffs or some of the better level 2 class features

ChildofLuthic
2016-12-30, 05:50 PM
Optimizers will take more naps.

Hear me out: the two dips that would be really common would be warlock, for Hex, and Fighter, for action surge. Both of these classes have short rest dependent features. So if you allowed this, your optimizers will want to be taking naps after basically every battle.

Side benefit: you could start calling the optimizers at your table "naptime warriors" to make fun of them.

Foxhound438
2016-12-30, 05:56 PM
UTTER CHAOS!!!

not really. you can already do pretty much any multiclass you want on point buy, with 16/16/14/13/9/9 as a human. Only things you couldn't do particularly well would be like paladin/monk, paladin/ranger/ or some kind of wierd 3 class abomination like paladin/wizard/cleric.

Naanomi
2016-12-30, 06:34 PM
Would certainly make anyone dipping warlock or paladin or the like happy to not need the charisma. Monk/Rogue/Warlock is a build I've seen that suffered heavily under needing such diverse stats that would be a *much* cleaner character without multiclassing requirements

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-31, 03:30 AM
I don't think it would really hurt. You usually want the 13 in whatever it is you're dipping.

Like, sure, you can dip Fighter for Action Surge, but if you don't have decent STR or DEX, the Fighting Styles are worthless to you, the weapon and armor proficiency doesn't really matter much, and the healing is low because you're only dipping. You just dropped 1-2 levels in for Surge. That should just be a Feat if that's all you get.

There are better ways to get Hex or Hunter's Mark, there's not much need to go Lock for that, and most everything else is off Lock level and/or CHA.

I'm fairly sure that Paladin is actively hurt by the 13 requirement, as you can build a perfectly valid single-class Dexadin, but can't enter/exit the class unless you build Strength.

Rogue is just about all I could see being heavily abused, for the Cunning Action mobility.

Logosloki
2016-12-31, 08:29 AM
More people would try multiclassing only to find themselves slightly snookered.

Would be fun for people to play their what ifs and figure if they like it or not.

What I would rather have is a full selection of mini-class feats instead.

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-31, 06:05 PM
More people would try multiclassing only to find themselves slightly snookered.

Would be fun for people to play their what ifs and figure if they like it or not.

What I would rather have is a full selection of mini-class feats instead.

I'll pass on miniclass feats, if we're talking the samr thing. You're thinking more stuff like Martial Adept or whatever it's called, that gives you "kinda BatMaster" stuff? I think that's where you'd start seeing things get broken.

I do agree that people get a little hung-up on Multiclassing, but that's more a fault of the people, not the MCing itself. MCing is balanced, they did a really good job with that. The Warlock is kind of a problem, but that's honestly just because that whole class is a mess. A hot mess, like a stripper who gives you her phone-number, but a mess all the same.

The real issue with multiclassing is the level progression and potential scaling issues, IMO. I think we all have a tendency to respond as if a campaign is going to 20, so losing things like 9th level slots matters, but for a lot, assuming the campaign will last and your character will survive to 20 seems a long shot, so it's no big deal. Of course, these are the same people running MCes that "come online" at 11-12th level, so it's all just wonky.

Âmesang
2016-12-31, 06:07 PM
My Dex-adin would have dump-statted Strength instead of Constitution

(It was put the "8" in Constitution, Intelligence, or Wisdom.

I already had a chaotic-evil, noble-born female with a dumped Wisdom, and at the same time I didn't want to dump Intelligence unless my dark elf started talking like a valley elf, so as painful as it is to have fewer hit points than normal it seemed best to go Con 8, Int 10, and Wis 12—perhaps a drow who focused more on "body building" than solid weightlifting and cardio, purely for vanity than health, combined with living a [relatively speaking] soft, cushy life to explain her below-average health.

Of course if I were to base her fully on the figurine I'm using, the valley elf idea probably would have fitted. Maybe if I'm lucky I can nab an amulet of health? :smalltongue:)

Lance Tankmen
2016-12-31, 07:06 PM
I'd be a level 20 champion....

Drackolus
2016-12-31, 07:15 PM
Dex sorcadins would have more hp, and some spellcasters will take lvl 1 life cleric dips.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-01-01, 03:06 AM
What would happen?

You'd see even more "technically legal" character builds that make no sense whatsoever, because PowerGamers.