PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advice (Personality build)

Nasagi
2016-12-30, 02:17 PM
My friend's starting a homebrew Curse of Strahd game. Originally I was going to play a monk, but eventually decided on a rogue, going towards assassin. I was reading the assassin description and saw a "Hired killer for a church" and just went "Yes, this must be done" so I took the acolyte background. Not AL, but wanted ideas of how I could roleplay the personality
Rogue's stats are Str 12, Dex 16, Con 16, Int, 16, Wis 16, and Cha 14 (rolled for stats. Got 2 12's 2 15's 2 16's. In FRONT of DM) Half Elf, Worshipper of Mask. In case any of this helps!

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 02:25 PM
You could play the character as the 'hand of god' for your particular church a devout warrior cleansing the Unworthy, like the Iscariot in Hellsing, the Opus Dei assassin in Angels and Demons or almost like the Templar or Teutonic Knights during the Crusades?

I also have some information about a Irish Rogue who was hired as a priest hunter if you want.

Dualswinger
2016-12-30, 02:28 PM
There's various ways you can play it with varying levels of psychosis from bloodthirsty "the gods demand sacrifice!" To the penitent "may {god name} forgive this necessary darkness" to combat fugue "and so The Pilgrim walked through the fires and he was struck with terrible pain..."

It depends on how much you want to play the religious vs the murderer angle. Assassins used to be a purely evil class and even those "Good" churches probably outwardly condemn but secretly condone the practice when a greater good is served.

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 02:30 PM
I feel I need to see if there is any documented history on religious assassins now.

N810
2016-12-30, 02:33 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/da0c02eef77b47ac35b76430f32edd6f/raw :smallfurious:

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 02:36 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/da0c02eef77b47ac35b76430f32edd6f/raw :smallfurious:

I was thinking more the tradition Hassassins of Persia.....but this wins.

Nasagi
2016-12-30, 02:36 PM
You could play the character as the 'hand of god' for your particular church a devout warrior cleansing the Unworthy, like the Iscariot in Hellsing, the Opus Dei assassin in Angels and Demons or almost like the Templar or Teutonic Knights during the Crusades?

I also have some information about a Irish Rogue who was hired as a priest hunter if you want.

Oooh i totally forgot about Iscariot from Hellsing. It's been forever since I watched it, so yeah that's a good basis i could work off of. I was originally thinking something along those lines by "cleansing the heretics."

Overall, I just thought it would be an interesting character idea. Especially since the DM has told me we don't start in Ravenloft but get sucked into it. So the loss of "contact" with his God may play heavily into his growth.

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 02:38 PM
It is an interesting idea and I feel you need to work this quote into the RP somewhere

"I want nothing more than to be a bayonet; a bayonet wielded by the hand of God. I would have been happy to be born a storm, or a divine threat; a mighty explosion or even a terrible hurricane. A divine force of nature without heart or pity. And if this relic can transform me into such a thing...then I am happy to abandon my humanity."

Nasagi
2016-12-30, 02:39 PM
Thanks to everybody helping me lay some groundwork for the personality. I really appreciate it. Most I can work out, but this one was just a little weird to me. I do love the fact because i'm a half elf acolyte i have 6 languages though :smallbiggrin: Love having a character with a ton of languages

Nasagi
2016-12-30, 02:40 PM
It is an interesting idea and I feel you need to work this quote into the RP somewhere

"I want nothing more than to be a bayonet; a bayonet wielded by the hand of God. I would have been happy to be born a storm, or a divine threat; a mighty explosion or even a terrible hurricane. A divine force of nature without heart or pity. And if this relic can transform me into such a thing...then I am happy to abandon my humanity."

I like that. I will definitely borrow that for this game. Thanks!

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 02:41 PM
Good for an assassin, you need to blend in, and nothing blends you into a group than being able to speak their language.

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-31, 04:16 AM
Sounds like a 4e Avenger. That, or just an Inquisitor. I used to play an Avenger, and we've got an Inquisitor in a campaign I'm part of.
Our Inquisitor went Rogue, with the Acolyte background, put his Expertise into Insight and Investigation - it works incredibly well, since he's got the Religion skill and can get help/healing/lodging at his temple.
Doesn't help that he went VHuman and picked up Magic Initiate (Cleric) for Thaumaturgy, Guidance, and Detect Evil and Good.

Best moment from him in this campaign? Using Thaumaturgy during the interogation of a rogue priest of his god, who was begging forgiveness. Basically 'Gandalfed' the guy, making himself large, booming voice, and dim/flickering torches;
"Do not beg me for forgiveness, wretch, for I have none to offer! Your guilt is absolute - I am neither judge nor jury, merely your executioner! If it is Salvation you seek, then you may grovel at the feet of our Lord, God - a meeting I will be all too happy to arrange once you have outlived your usefulness to this investigation."

Rather than Assassin, he went Swashbuckler and snagged XBowExpert at 4th. It's a sexy character, and he plays it like Liam Neeson in Taken, or Keanu Reeves in Old Boy - he just relentlessly pursues BBEGs as if they personally murdered his family,
PC: He's across the market place, do I have a shot?
DM: It's a busy marketplace, he'd have cover
PC: I start shooting
DM: If you miss, it's very likely you'll hit a civilian
PC: I'm a wolfhound, not a guard dog. If they sic me on the wolves, they can't expect me to care about the sheep

Guy's an old 2e veteran, and a phenomenal roleplayer. Fun guy to be around, but this character is just chilling

Herobizkit
2016-12-31, 05:24 PM
Seek ye the 1999 film classic "The Boondock Saints".

Forget the sequels, just watch this one. ^_^

Fishyninja
2016-12-31, 05:37 PM
Seek ye the 1999 film classic "The Boondock Saints".

Forget the sequels, just watch this one. ^_^

Il Duche or the Brothers :smalltongue:

MarkVIIIMarc
2016-12-31, 11:36 PM
I feel I need to see if there is any documented history on religious assassins now.

Good and bad feel no restrictions on any church historic or not using assassins.

This would probably be your level 20 goal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martel

Or if you want a more "independent" minded fellow you could base your character on this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler#Ottoman_war

Fishyninja
2017-01-01, 01:35 AM
Good and bad feel no restrictions on any church historic or not using assassins.

This would probably be your level 20 goal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martel

Or if you want a more "independent" minded fellow you could base your character on this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler#Ottoman_war

A good bit of research there.

Herobizkit
2017-01-01, 03:52 PM
Il Duche or the Brothers :smalltongue:"And Shepherds we shall be - for thee, my Lord, for thee..." :D

Fishyninja
2017-01-02, 10:05 AM
"And Shepherds we shall be - for thee, my Lord, for thee..." :D

*Squeals with excitement*