PDA

View Full Version : Rolled Ability scores 3d6 straight down...

BiPolar
2016-12-30, 02:38 PM
My group is planning a short campaign by rolling ability score 3d6 straight down the line for scores. I got:

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 17
INT 18
WIS 8
CHA 12

I'm leaning towards Rock Gnome Divination Wizard (unless UA is allowed, in which case I may go Theurge Wizard or possible Psionics if that's out by the time we're ready to start).

Any other thoughts on something fun and interesting with this build?

Fishyninja
2016-12-30, 02:40 PM
Hmmm you could make a very intelligent Sorcerer. Think a Magic version of Sherlock Holmes.

Oramac
2016-12-30, 02:41 PM
My group is planning a short campaign by rolling ability score 3d6 straight down the line for scores. I got:

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 17
INT 18
WIS 8
CHA 12

I'm leaning towards Rock Gnome Divination Wizard (unless UA is allowed, in which case I may go Theurge Wizard or possible Psionics if that's out by the time we're ready to start).

I'd go Mountain Dwarf for medium armor and a bump to 19 Con. Then go Bladesinger if your DM will lift the elves-only restriction. Otherwise, definitely go Divination.

JellyPooga
2016-12-30, 02:48 PM
I'd be half tempted to go for a "Buffs Only" Moon Druid. That Wisdom hurts bad (and precludes you from multiclassing), but with a sole focus on buffs (self and party), you don't have to worry about spell attacks or DCs and as a Moon Druid, you can happily ignore the bas Str and Dex.

Rock Gnome, Half-Elf, Tiefling and Human are all viable Races (basically anything that doesn't pump Str, Dex or Wis). Tiefling is nice for Fire Resistance. Half-Elf is nice for skills. Human is Feat-tastic. Gnome has Advantage on Saves...tidy.

BiPolar
2016-12-30, 02:51 PM
I'd be half tempted to go for a "Buffs Only" Moon Druid. That Wisdom hurts bad (and precludes you from multiclassing), but with a sole focus on buffs (self and party), you don't have to worry about spell attacks or DCs and as a Moon Druid, you can happily ignore the bas Str and Dex.

Ooh, I kinda like the Moon Druid idea. My first thought was to go with Gnomish wizard to get 18 CON and 20 INT and just be "too smart for my own good"

But the Moon Druid is a twist I didn't think of (which is why I'm asking!)

Nifft
2016-12-30, 02:57 PM

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 17
INT 18
WIS 8
CHA 12

Three odd stats => non-variant Human (+1 to all stats). That would give you 10/10/18/19/9/13 which is very sufficient for your first 4 levels of Divination Wizard (or anything else).

Abjuration Wizard is also nice for pairing with that super-tough Con bonus.

BiPolar
2016-12-30, 03:41 PM
I'd go Mountain Dwarf for medium armor and a bump to 19 Con. Then go Bladesinger if your DM will lift the elves-only restriction. Otherwise, definitely go Divination.

Having the armor to help protect me against attacks would be huge an approximate 4 point boost to AC. However, I'm not sure if that really matters. If I'm in combat, I've got more problems, even with the 18 CON to boost my HP. The save advantage with the Gnome seems a better spot to in given the -1 I have to a lot of saves.

I'm really hoping that the psionics comes out soon and it'll get approved :)

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-12-31, 03:17 AM
If you're thinking wizard (and with a natural 18 INT, you should), I would go Forest Gnome rather than Rock. It removes the AC and Initiative penalty from DEX and starting with an odd CON means it evens out if you take Resilient (Con) which I recommend doing. It'll help your Concentration and protect you from a lot of nasty saves (especially combined with Gnome Cunning and Wizard's natural WIS save proficiency).

djreynolds
2016-12-31, 03:48 AM
If you're thinking wizard (and with a natural 18 INT, you should), I would go Forest Gnome rather than Rock. It removes the AC and Initiative penalty from DEX and starting with an odd CON means it evens out if you take Resilient (Con) which I recommend doing. It'll help your Concentration and protect you from a lot of nasty saves (especially combined with Gnome Cunning and Wizard's natural WIS save proficiency).

There you go. This great. I say abjurer but you already have gnome... your choice there.

Resilient con is better than war caster... but you could squeeze in both.

Remember you power is your spell book, leave no merchant un-harassed

Your enemy is the disintegrate spell, I have many friends turned into dust.

Plaguescarred
2016-12-31, 09:33 AM
I'd play a human or gnome wizard with those stats

BiPolar
2016-12-31, 10:46 AM
Good call on the forest gnome to help with ac and initiative. I'm still leaning divination, any reasons to go abjure? Probably not ever passing level 5.

If we allow UA, may also go Theurge (or psionic if that gets released soon) . Divination and Theurge both kinda fit for my "too smart for own good" theme.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-12-31, 11:44 AM
I applaud your group using 3d6 rather than 4d6-1 die.

BiPolar
2016-12-31, 12:55 PM

We normally go 4d6 drop lowest and reroll 1st but wanted to do an old school roll.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-12-31, 04:32 PM
We normally go 4d6 drop lowest and reroll 1st but wanted to do an old school roll.

Well, old school is far cooler. 4d6 drop lowest gets stats that are too high.

Âmesang
2016-12-31, 05:57 PM
Stats can never be too high! :smallamused: ← 3rd Edition fan

Honestly with the exception of my most recent character all of my 5th Edition characters have been "3d6 in order" just to see what I would end up with (recent character was elite array just because it was faster when creating the character at the table—makes multiclassing a bit harder, though).

JumboWheat01
2016-12-31, 09:19 PM

I've never rolled above a 14 with 4d6 drop lowest. What are these high stats you speak of? There are reasons I use the standard array.

As for the OP, a Forest Gnome would definitely be the best to even out that Dexterity, though if it's allowed, consider a Deep Gnome, which also gets a +1 to Dexterity, and can snag some bonus spells with the Svirfneblin Magic feat. Don't even need SCAG for that, the Elemental Evil Player's Companion is free, and it still has the Svirfneblin.

But starting with a +5 Intelligence Modifier, I'd suggest focusing more on a hard-control school, like Enchantment! Put those "Save or Suck" spells to work. Though really, your school of choice is your school of choice, nothing stops a Wizard from using whatever spell they so desire in this edition.

Cl0001
2017-01-01, 01:36 AM
I hate rolling 3d6 straight down. Because every time I do that I get stats like this.
Strength: 12
Dex: 8
Con:7
Int: 11
Wis: 9
Cha: 10
And it's just not fun playing that guy. I've rolled above a 13 once in the standard 3d6 straight down. The character can't be good in any class and is just extremely lack luster. Plus your character can be destroyed so easily, if you don't roll at least a 10 in con, your character is done, similarly for Dex. I don't want to have to spend every ability score increase to get one 18 because it's just not fun. And in about 8 characters, I've had one viable player (viable meaning he survived more than 2 games)

BiPolar
2017-01-09, 09:21 AM
UPDATE : Unearthed Arcana has been allowed...should I stick with Diviner Wizard or go Awakened Mystic?

Nifft
2017-01-09, 09:31 AM
UPDATE : Unearthed Arcana has been allowed...should I stick with Diviner Wizard or go Awakened Mystic?

Stick with Diviner Wizard unless you want to help WotC by play-testing their new content.

If you use UA content, then you may have to significantly revise your character when the next update -- or the final product -- is released.

That's fine if you don't mind revising your character, and it might be helpful to WotC if you can report how well the Awakened Mystic works in real play. You'd be a Beta Tester.

Whether you love / hate / can ignore the whole Beta Tester thing is personal, and has nothing to do with the class.

Spectre9000
2017-01-09, 10:22 AM

Go Immortal Mystic as a Half Wood Elf. Half Wood Elf speed is 35 with fleet of foot, which when wearing Heavy Armor without the strength for it, reduces you to 25, which gives the same affect as being a Dwarf. Wear Heavy Armor and a Shield for a 20 AC (21 if you choose Iron Durability as the lesser discipline you focus on).

Your level 1 stats would be:
STR 9
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 8
CHA 14

Saving throws: Intelligence and Wisdom

At this point, go whichever direction you want. You could go any school Wizard, or Charisma based character. Depending on your background (and your lesser discipline) you could even be the party face with this.

BiPolar
2017-01-09, 10:26 AM
Go Immortal Mystic as a Half Wood Elf. Half Wood Elf speed is 35 with fleet of foot, which when wearing Heavy Armor without the strength for it, reduces you to 25, which gives the same affect as being a Dwarf. Wear Heavy Armor and a Shield for a 20 AC (21 if you choose Iron Durability as the lesser discipline you focus on).

STR 9
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 8
CHA 14

At this point, go whichever direction you want. You could go any school Wizard, or Charisma based character. Depending on your background (and your discipline) you could even be the party face with this.

Given that WOTC has specifically said that UA has not been built with multiclass in mind, I don't want to further complicate and would stick with a pure Mystic.

An interesting idea to go Melee with the Immortal Mystic. I was mostly considering Awakened Mystic and acting a bit as a healer with the psionic restoration.

Also, i understand you get proficiency is heavy armor, but my strength will still preclude me from wearing most of it.

Spectre9000
2017-01-09, 10:32 AM
Given that WOTC has specifically said that UA has not been built with multiclass in mind, I don't want to further complicate and would stick with a pure Mystic.

An interesting idea to go Melee with the Immortal Mystic. I was mostly considering Awakened Mystic and acting a bit as a healer with the psionic restoration.

To be fair, with the way they've done multi-classing so far, with it being more powerful than about any single class, I'd say not to worry about it. To each their own though.

Also, I wasn't intending for you to go melee with immortal, though if you multi-classed you could pick Theurge (Life Domain), pick up shillelagh at wizard level 6 and be just fine in melee. Also, pick up Shield spell and Absorb Elements and be tanky as hell. Alternatively, pick Bladesinger and have an AC of 25 (30 with Shield spell).

Also, i understand you get proficiency is heavy armor, but my strength will still preclude me from wearing most of it.

Not meeting the Strength requirement only reduces your speed. Nothing else.

BiPolar
2017-01-09, 10:42 AM
To be fair, with the way they've done multi-classing so far, with it being more powerful than about any single class, I'd say not to worry about it. To each their own though.

Also, I wasn't intending for you to go melee with immortal, though if you multi-classed you could pick Theurge (Life Domain), pick up shillelagh at wizard level 6 and be just fine in melee. Also, pick up Shield spell and Absorb Elements and be tanky as hell. Alternatively, pick Bladesinger and have an AC of 25 (30 with Shield spell).

Not meeting the Strength requirement only reduces your speed. Nothing else.

I never noticed that about the STR requirement...very cool! I may definitely reconsider the Immortal, although I'd still prefer to go single class. If we allow the Mystic, it could be a fun class to play. I had my targets on Divination Wizard before, but I'm starting to like the idea of the Mystic a lot more.

Coyote81
2017-01-09, 12:16 PM

STR 9
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 8
CHA 14

At this point, go whichever direction you want. You could go any school Wizard, or Charisma based character. Depending on your background (and your lesser discipline) you could even be the party face with this.

Just for kicks I roller using the http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm 3d6 straight rolls

STR 4
DEX 5
CON 10
INT 6
WIS 10
CHA 13

Multiclass Warlock/Sorc, here I come.

Tanarii
2017-01-09, 02:58 PM

I was going to point out that 3d6 hasn't been the standard since Basic editions ... but to my surprise when I went to check, it turns out it was the standard for AD&D 2e.

I have to wonder why TSR reverted to that in 2e when Gary Gygax himself set the standard in AD&D 1e DMG Method I as 4d6b3.

BiPolar
2017-01-09, 03:01 PM
I was going to point out that 3d6 hasn't been the standard since Basic editions ... but to my surprise when I went to check, it turns out it was the standard for AD&D 2e.

I have to wonder why TSR reverted to that in 2e when Gary Gygax himself set the standard in AD&D 1e DMG Method I as 4d6b3.

Maybe it's the 17/18 speaking, but I'm very much liking this. The only downside (especially with the 18 INT) is the limitations in choosing class based on the stats.

Hoping I get approved for Awakened Mystic, but will still be very happy with Divination Wizard.

Tanarii
2017-01-09, 03:08 PM
Maybe it's the 17/18 speaking, but I'm very much liking this. The only downside (especially with the 18 INT) is the limitations in choosing class based on the stats. Oh yeah I totally missed that. Yeah, the odds of getting 2 17s is less than 1/200 characters, so you got a fantastic roll. (On the flip-side, the odds of getting 2 4s is 1/200 characters.)

BiPolar
2017-01-09, 03:15 PM
Oh yeah I totally missed that. Yeah, the odds of getting 2 17s is less than 1/200 characters, so you got a fantastic roll. (On the flip-side, the odds of getting 2 4s is 1/200 characters.)

Hehe, yeah, it's my 2nd really well rolled character (first was my Bard on the 4d6, drop lowest and reroll 1s). Had a couple of 18s there :)

But in general, I wonder why Wizards have (until the UA introduction of Artificer and Mystic) really provided few options for an INT-based class. And by few, I mean Wizard only.

Tanarii
2017-01-09, 04:25 PM
But in general, I wonder why Wizards have (until the UA introduction of Artificer and Mystic) really provided few options for an INT-based class. And by few, I mean Wizard only.And EKs & ATs.

It not particularly relevant to you, but Int is also useful as a secondary or tertiary score for Rangers and trap-disabling Rogues, although the former can cover the lack with psuedo-expertise in their Natural Explorer terrain, and the latter with Expertise in Investigation. And of course Bards, Druids and Warlocks are all heavy on Int skill choices on their class lists, each getting at least getting 4/5 available Int skills.

Although in a longer-term campaign there is no particular reason you couldn't be an EK and pump all your stat improvements in Str as you level up. Although you'd probably want to start off as a High Elf for an attack cantrip. Is this a short campaign starting at level 1 or a higher level?

BiPolar
2017-01-09, 04:29 PM
And EKs & ATs.

It not particularly relevant to you, but Int is also useful as a secondary or tertiary score for Rangers and trap-disabling Rogues, although the former can cover the lack with psuedo-expertise in their Natural Explorer terrain, and the latter with Expertise in Investigation. And of course Bards, Druids and Warlocks are all heavy on Int skill choices on their class lists, each getting at least getting 4/5 available Int skills.

Although in a longer-term campaign there is no particular reason you couldn't be an EK and pump all your stat improvements in Str as you level up. Although you'd probably want to start off as a High Elf for an attack cantrip. Is this a short campaign starting at level 1 or a higher level?

Starting off at Level 1, but unsure as to how long it will be. It could be a very short run unless everyone likes the world and their mostly low roll PCs. We do have another character who rolled a 3 INT. I think he's planning on running him at only knowing 50 words (to be decided before we begin).

JumboWheat01
2017-01-09, 04:32 PM
But in general, I wonder why Wizards have (until the UA introduction of Artificer and Mystic) really provided few options for an INT-based class. And by few, I mean Wizard only.

And you know, an interesting thing, you can make a Wizard with INT as their dump stat. Just avoid anything that relies on an attack roll or save, and you're golden. Can still cast ninth level spells, can still learn every spell in their list. Sure, your number of prepared spells will be smaller, but that's nothing too major to worry about.

Tanarii
2017-01-09, 04:53 PM
Starting off at Level 1, but unsure as to how long it will be. It could be a very short run unless everyone likes the world and their mostly low roll PCs. We do have another character who rolled a 3 INT. I think he's planning on running him at only knowing 50 words (to be decided before we begin).Int 3 is around or about IQ 55 if you match the IQ bell-curve to the 3d6 bell curve. Or a -20% loss of functionality in memory & mental acuity in mechanical terms. Under the latter, that's a harsh way to run a character with that Intelligence. I have no idea what the functionality of someone with an IQ of 55 is though.

For reference, an Int of 18 is about IQ 145 if you match bell curves.

BiPolar
2017-01-09, 04:59 PM
Int 3 is around or about IQ 55 if you match the IQ bell-curve to the 3d6 bell curve. Or a -20% loss of functionality in memory & mental acuity in mechanical terms. Under the latter, that's a harsh way to run a character with that Intelligence. I have no idea what the functionality of someone with an IQ of 55 is though.

We're a harsh table... And the guy wants to play him like that. Was excited when he rolled the 3.

Paladin Hero
2017-03-03, 09:51 AM
I rolled this:
STR 12
DEX 10
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 12
CHA 11

The amazing average man. Thinking mountain dwarf fighter/barbarian because that way he would have a STR of 14 and a CON of 12.

Toofey
2017-03-03, 09:56 AM
does your DM seems like the sort that would let illusions work. IF so gnomish illusionist.

BiPolar
2017-03-03, 10:02 AM
does your DM seems like the sort that would let illusions work. IF so gnomish illusionist.

I've done the illusionist thing with my current bard so looking to try something new. The Mystic seems to be a great option, but still heavily considering Divination wizard or even Lore. Most likely sticking with mystic.

Cybren
2017-03-03, 10:04 AM
Int 3 is around or about IQ 55 if you match the IQ bell-curve to the 3d6 bell curve. Or a -20% loss of functionality in memory & mental acuity in mechanical terms. Under the latter, that's a harsh way to run a character with that Intelligence. I have no idea what the functionality of someone with an IQ of 55 is though.

Plenty functioning. People in that IQ range are usually less social and require some assistance in aspects of daily life others easily mastered, but they can have kids, jobs, etc. I work with adults with developmental disabilities, someone with IQ 55 would be described as having "mild intellectual disabilities". Now, D&D doesn't really try to model genetic variance and conditions like downs, fragile x, etc, and those can often come with other physiological or psychological conditions, from things like bone fragility to early onset dementia.

NecroDancer
2017-03-03, 10:10 AM
I highly suggest to take a first level in fighter to get heavy armor and con saves

BiPolar
2017-03-03, 11:31 AM
I highly suggest to take a first level in fighter to get heavy armor and con saves

I don't think i'm going to multiclass this (while we are free to use UA, because UA is specifically not yet set up for multiclass I don't want to add it in) and I don't plan on becoming a front line fighter as the mystic.

My plan is to be more of the Awakened mystic to start with. Skill monkey, mess with enemy minds, etc. As I level up, I'll take on more of the Immortal abilities that will allow me to do damage, but that's not until level 5 or so (if we last that long.)

There's not a lot of con save need with the Awakened Mystic and my current path plan, either.

Tanarii
2017-03-03, 11:59 AM
Plenty functioning. People in that IQ range are usually less social and require some assistance in aspects of daily life others easily mastered, but they can have kids, jobs, etc. I work with adults with developmental disabilities, someone with IQ 55 would be described as having "mild intellectual disabilities". Now, D&D doesn't really try to model genetic variance and conditions like downs, fragile x, etc, and those can often come with other physiological or psychological conditions, from things like bone fragility to early onset dementia.
Argh! Necro-quoting! Now I need to go back and see what the hell I said before I can figure out if I have to respond hahahaha

Edit: Okay, yeah, that was the impression I've got from brief online scanning of info on Developmental disability specifically for these "how to roleplay Int X" topics. That playing Int 3 = IQ 55 character as "only knowing 50 words" would be harsh interpretation of Int 3 as well.

tkuremento
2017-03-03, 12:46 PM
Is Volo's allowed? If so consider Hobgoblin, gains Proficiency in two Martial weapons and light armor. They also get a +2 Con and +1 Int.

BiPolar
2017-03-03, 01:03 PM
Is Volo's allowed? If so consider Hobgoblin, gains Proficiency in two Martial weapons and light armor. They also get a +2 Con and +1 Int.

Volo's allowed, but the Mystic gets medium and light armor as well as simple weapons including light crossbow/mace/spear. I'm okay with that start and going the forest gnome route for minor illusion and the advantage on int/wis/cha saves :)

tkuremento
2017-03-03, 01:06 PM
Volo's allowed, but the Mystic gets medium and light armor as well as simple weapons including light crossbow/mace/spear. I'm okay with that start and going the forest gnome route for minor illusion and the advantage on int/wis/cha saves :)

Oh sorry, I was still under the impression of the Wizard stuff.

retaliation08
2017-03-03, 01:09 PM

Emphasis mine.

I read this while assuming you were referring to the 145 IQ. It hit pretty close to home haha :)

The Shadowdove
2017-03-04, 01:49 AM
Alchemist of mystic.