PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New melee weapon idea...

nonsi
2016-12-30, 02:56 PM
While playing around with a Tonfa, an inspiration for a new weapon struck – a sort of combination between a Tonfa and a short Staff (...and then some).
Imagine a stick (probably made of wood, with a metal core), roughly 40" in length, with 2 parallel Tonfa handles, about 10" from the tips.
Each tip is mounted with a small metal ball that ends with a short blade (total length – roughly 60").

Seems to me like such a weapon that could provide a lot of combat options.
- Can deal all types of damage
- Provides a wide range of motion for effective defense.
- Great for disarming (maybe also tripping).
- A double weapon

Probably an exotic weapon.

I'd like to hear people's opinions regarding stats.
As far as the name goes, I've got nothing ATM.

ShiningStarling
2016-12-30, 03:48 PM
One could treat it essentially as a Longspear that was wielded like a Quarterstaff, so d8/d8 SoBoP x3crit, and that would be fairly balanced for an exotic weapon (more or less, assuming the damage type versatility and higher multiplier a fair trade for 19 crit range of the two bladed sword, the closest equivalent)

As for design of the weapon itself, I'm not sure how useful the Tonfa handles would be once the attached weapon is longer than your arm, but it's certainly cool flavor for a special monk weapon, maybe that could even split into a pair of bladed tonfa.

nonsi
2017-01-03, 01:40 PM
One could treat it essentially as a Longspear that was wielded like a Quarterstaff, so d8/d8 SoBoP x3crit, and that would be fairly balanced for an exotic weapon (more or less, assuming the damage type versatility and higher multiplier a fair trade for 19 crit range of the two bladed sword, the closest equivalent)

As for design of the weapon itself, I'm not sure how useful the Tonfa handles would be once the attached weapon is longer than your arm, but it's certainly cool flavor for a special monk weapon, maybe that could even split into a pair of bladed tonfa.

Nice interpretation. Since the blade and weight are relatively small, I think d6 would more appropriately describe the weapon's layout.
OTOH, the weapon's wide range of motion and high maneuverability would probably grant a +2 bonus to all opposed Disarm checks, as well as a +2 shield bonus vs. melee attacks and thrown weapons (but not missiles).

Other than that, I still have no idea what to name it.