PDA

View Full Version : Rules for being frozen solid?

TrollinOtter
2016-12-30, 04:22 PM
Hello All! Our group will be fighting sahugain (Or however you spell it). I'm going to try to freeze them solid with numbing sphere. So I was wondering how you would treat an enemy that had been frozen solid. What kind of saves do they make? What happens to their ability scores? Does their dex drop to 0? Do they die though asphyxiation? Thank you.

FocusWolf413
2016-12-30, 04:48 PM
If they freeze absolutely solid, they die. Water expands/crystallizes, cells pop, people die.

Inevitability
2016-12-30, 05:03 PM
If you say 'freezing solid' do you mean 'freezing the water currently occupied by the sahuagin'?

Eladrinblade
2016-12-30, 05:44 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/1zlq177.png

SirNibbles
2016-12-31, 01:01 AM
Thankfully, there are spells which directly discuss a target being completely frozen.

The Freeze spell (Spell Compendium pg 99) says that a creature encased in ice is "immobilised (and thus helpless)" and takes 2d6 cold damage every round. It specifically notes that the target is aware and breathes normally and cannot move except to make a Strength check to break free. This means that it should suffocate as well as taking cold damage.

Another spell relating to being encased, this time only partially (feet only), is Ray of Ice (Spell Compendium pg 167). You can't move, lose Dex to AC, and take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

__

As far as I know, there is no RAW on the actual cells of a creature being frozen.

SangoProduction
2016-12-31, 01:13 AM
Thankfully, there are spells which directly discuss a target being completely frozen.

The Freeze spell (Spell Compendium pg 99) says that a creature encased in ice is "immobilised (and thus helpless)" and takes 2d6 cold damage every round. It specifically notes that the target is aware and breathes normally and cannot move except to make a Strength check to break free. This means that it should suffocate as well as taking cold damage.

Another spell relating to being encased, this time only partially (feet only), is Ray of Ice (Spell Compendium pg 167). You can't move, lose Dex to AC, and take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

__

As far as I know, there is no RAW on the actual cells of a creature being frozen.

There are no Cells. There is only Frieza.

Crake
2016-12-31, 01:23 AM
Isn't this essentially the point of shivering touch? Your body slowly freezes to the point where you can't move? Take dex damage, when your dex reaches 0, you're essentially completely frozen?

TrollinOtter
2016-12-31, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=Dire_Stirge;21545037]If you say 'freezing solid' do you mean 'freezing the water currently occupied by the sahuagin'?
I am freezing all the water around them, encasing them in ice