PDA

View Full Version : [THEORETICAL]Ranger-Knight of Furondy build help

danielxcutter
2016-12-30, 08:17 PM
Thought exercise: probably not coming to a game near you soon.

So there's this PrC from Dragon called Ranger-Knight of Furondy, and it seems like a fun option for mounted combat. I'm thinking Ranger 3/Paladin 2 for entry, as while RKoF doesn't progress casting, it does stack with Paladin mount advancement.

Any advice for feats besides the prerequisites, ACFs to grab, or what to take after maxing out RKoF? Race is probably going to be something that has Ranger as a favored class, and if not that Half-Elf or Human for Favored Class: Any.

Waker
2016-12-30, 10:36 PM
I'm at work, so I can't get too detailed, but look at Devoted Tracker from Complete Adventurer. It does a few little things, but the big one is that it allows your Mount and Animal Companion to be the same thing, letting you double up on the bonuses from both progressions. And since Ranger Knight advances the Mount feature, it should allow it to keep progressing AC as well.

danielxcutter
2016-12-31, 12:06 AM
I'm at work, so I can't get too detailed, but look at Devoted Tracker from Complete Adventurer. It does a few little things, but the big one is that it allows your Mount and Animal Companion to be the same thing, letting you double up on the bonuses from both progressions. And since Ranger Knight advances the Mount feature, it should allow it to keep progressing AC as well.

Huh. Maybe, but I'm not 100% sure yet. It needs 4+ Ranger levels, after all.

gorfnab
2017-01-01, 02:50 AM
Which Dragon magazine is it from?

Ludic
2017-01-01, 03:10 AM
Is dumping spells a viable option for you? Since it doesn't progress casting, you could use ACFs that lose your spells for ranger, or paladin, or even both. But that's on you.

danielxcutter
2017-01-01, 03:48 AM
Is dumping spells a viable option for you? Since it doesn't progress casting, you could use ACFs that lose your spells for ranger, or paladin, or even both. But that's on you.

Not getting enough Ranger or Paladin levels to cast spells is fine. Trading it away is less so, because of spell-completion items(read:CLW wands).

Ludic
2017-01-01, 04:25 AM
Not getting enough Ranger or Paladin levels to cast spells is fine. Trading it away is less so, because of spell-completion items(read:CLW wands).

You really only need one or the other. Take a spellless ACF for whichever you don't want to do. If you aren't going to be ranged that much, trade away the ranger spells, if you're going to stay ranged, dump the pally spells. No point to both.

Also, could be wrong since I rarely play rangers or paladins, but I'm pretty sure you have to be able to actually cast the spell to use the wand without a UMD check. You're sitting in a grey area of can you or can't you if you don't have enough levels to actually have spells.

gorfnab
2017-01-01, 07:57 PM
After reading over the Ranger Knight of Furyondy prestige class, I get the impression that it would make an interesting dip for some builds especially when combined with feats like Holy Mount and Devoted Tracker.

Here is a build that I came up with that dips Ranger Knight of Furyondy

Human
1. Mystic Ranger – Mounted Combat, Trample
2. Mystic Ranger
3. Mystic Ranger – Skill Focus: Handle Animal, B: Two Weapon Fighting
4. Mystic Ranger
5. Mystic Ranger
6. Mystic Ranger – Sword of the Arcane Order
7. Mystic Ranger
8. Mystic Ranger
9. Ranger Knight of Furyondy – Holy Mount
10. Mystic Ranger
11. Mystic Ranger
12. Beastmaster – Devoted Tracker
13. Beastmaster
14. Wild Plains Outrider
15. Wild Plains Outrider – Natural Bond
16. Wild Plains Outrider
17. Beastmaster
18. Beastmaster – Ride-By-Attack or some other feat
19. Beastmaster
20. Beastmaster

Levels 6 and 9 can be switched around depending on when you want to get the Mount.

This build ends up with Full BAB, 5th level Mystic Ranger and Wizard Spells, and a Animal Companion/Mount with 15th level Animal Companion abilities and 16th level Paladin Mount abilities.

danielxcutter
2017-01-01, 08:06 PM
After reading over the Ranger Knight of Furyondy prestige class, I get the impression that it would make an interesting dip for some builds especially when combined with feats like Holy Mount and Devoted Tracker.

Here is a build that I came up with that dips Ranger Knight of Furyondy

Human
1. Mystic Ranger – Mounted Combat, Trample
2. Mystic Ranger
3. Mystic Ranger – Skill Focus: Handle Animal, B: Two Weapon Fighting
4. Mystic Ranger
5. Mystic Ranger
6. Mystic Ranger – Sword of the Arcane Order
7. Mystic Ranger
8. Mystic Ranger
9. Ranger Knight of Furyondy – Holy Mount
10. Mystic Ranger
11. Mystic Ranger
12. Beastmaster – Devoted Tracker
13. Beastmaster
14. Wild Plains Outrider
15. Wild Plains Outrider – Natural Bond
16. Wild Plains Outrider
17. Beastmaster
18. Beastmaster – Ride-By-Attack or some other feat
19. Beastmaster
20. Beastmaster

Levels 6 and 9 can be switched around depending on when you want to get the Mount.

This build ends up with Full BAB, 5th level Mystic Ranger and Wizard Spells, and a Animal Companion/Mount with 15th level Animal Companion abilities and 15th level Paladin Mount abilities.

Hmmm, not what I was looking for, but interesting despite that. One question though, I thought MR didn't get an animal companion?

gorfnab
2017-01-01, 08:28 PM
Hmmm, not what I was looking for, but interesting despite that. One question though, I thought MR didn't get an animal companion?
It does not not, but Beastmaster does. Mystic Ranger is there for the divine spellcasting levels and to meet prerequisites.

Calculations for that build:
Paladin Mount Abilities of a 16th level Paladin
1 level of Ranger Knight of Furyondy (6th level mount abilities)
10 levels of Mystic Ranger with the feat Holy Mount (Drg #325, adds divine caster level to Mount calculations)

Druid Animal Companion abilities of a 15th level Druid
Beastmaster levels 6
Beastmaster level bonus (see Beastmaster Animal Companion first level ability) 3
Wild Plains Outrider 3
Natural Bond feat 3

danielxcutter
2017-01-01, 08:38 PM
It does not not, but Beastmaster does. Mystic Ranger is there for the divine spellcasting levels and to meet prerequisites.

Calculations for that build:
Paladin Mount Abilities of a 16th level Paladin
1 level of Ranger Knight of Furyondy (6th level mount abilities)
10 levels of Mystic Ranger with the feat Holy Mount (Drg #325, adds divine caster level to Mount calculations)

Druid Animal Companion abilities of a 15th level Druid
Beastmaster levels 6
Beastmaster level bonus (see Beastmaster Animal Companion first level ability) 3
Wild Plains Outrider 3
Natural Bond feat 3

Okay, that's crazy(in a good way). I like it, although it does take a while to get some of the tricks it can do.

Snowbluff
2017-01-02, 12:31 AM
Druid/wizard/rangerknight/Arcane hierophant

With holy mount, theurgic bond, devoted tracker... my old super mount build

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14562478&postcount=29

danielxcutter
2017-01-02, 01:11 AM
Druid/wizard/rangerknight/Arcane hierophant

With holy mount, theurgic bond, devoted tracker... my old super mount build

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14562478&postcount=29

Surprising, though not what I was really aiming for.